Sponsored

Has Ford fixed the winch blocking the forward trail cam yet?

OP
OP
Doorsoff4ever

Doorsoff4ever

Badlands
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram3500 diesel crew cab long bed on 37's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In all my years of wheeling my 87 Bronco all over AZ and UT, I never used the winch on the front on an organized trail run. It you got stuck it was always recovery with a tow strap. The winch was too slow and took too much time to rig. I used my front mounted winch for utility purposes a handful of times, but never offroad myself in 23 years of ownership. I also had 35” tires, dual ARB lockers, and a long travel coilover suspension.

I still own a multi mount winch, but I doubt I’ll waste time rigging up the front of my Bronco to hold it. I’ll carry a decent come along and some tow straps and will be fine. I’ll also carry a hi lift jack. They are probably the most dangerous piece of offroad gear, but serve their purpose.

BEF1CA03-5F89-4400-AAA9-492625C57446.jpeg
I get what you are saying but tow straps and winches/pulleys are not equals... different tools for different tasks. If you think they are, I wish I was you because you've clearly never gotten your rig stuck in the snow on your 7/10ths of a mile long very steep driveway and had to winch yourself from tree to tree every 50 or so feet to get home, or come across people slid into deep ditches in the dark or slid off corners into creek beds onto their sides or roofs, Yada Yada Yada.... winches are essential for SELF extrication. BUT, as you said, they are the obvious second choice behind a tow strap when rescuing others but winches and pulleys do have their place. Sometimes it's a very serious, slow, annoying, dark, not so fun place, but it's their place. :LOL:
Sponsored

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, just got back from one of the preview events. The guy there said that Ford Performance was working on finding a resolution to the camera blockage with the Warn winch. He didn't have any additional details other than they were working on a resolution.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get what you are saying but tow straps and winches/pulleys are not equals... different tools for different tasks. If you think they are, I wish I was you because you've clearly never gotten your rig stuck in the snow on your 7/10ths of a mile long very steep driveway and had to winch yourself from tree to tree every 50 or so feet to get home, or come across people slid into deep ditches in the dark or slid off corners into creek beds onto their sides or roofs, Yada Yada Yada.... winches are essential for SELF extrication. BUT, as you said, they are the obvious second choice behind a tow strap when rescuing others but winches and pulleys do have their place. Sometimes it's a very serious, slow, annoying, dark, not so fun place, but it's their place. :LOL:
Totally agree with you. Haven't been stuck in snow, but definitely have in mud that required winching.

If I had an 87, I'd use a tow strap also, but I would never do that with a 2021 with all of the components that need protection.

A winch isn't that bad on the vehicle with the winch or the vehicle being extracted if it has proper recovery points.

Pulling someone out of a ditch has interesting physics and a winch with a shatch block can protect both vehicles and the winch.

I know the winch is blocking the camera, but I honestly don't see myself using that camera for much other than parking. looking down at a screen while wheeling is just not something I can imagine doing. I'm usually watching the ground or my spotter and don't see a camera as a substitute for either.

On the 4600, that winch is placed very low and the 4600 has a high lift that does look attractive, but nothing I'll buy day one, nor will I upgrade to 37s so soon after purchase if ever. I can see that low mounted winch being buried in snow, sand, or mud which would totally suck.

Getting wet when wheeling isn't a big deal to me as I won't wear any cotton when there's a hint of weather, but being muddy just sucks to no end, then tracking that shit back into your ride will suck even more; I've done it, took forever to get myself, my clothes, and my rig clean and that didn't happen for several hours.

It sucked, so think long and hard about how you'll handle such a situation out on a trail.

It sucked..... :cautious:

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've moved on from stock winch platform. Lazy designing. The Ultra4 4600 pictured above proves it can be done. Just need to figure out how they did it.

My guess is, they mounted it upside down behind the radiator.
Yeah, if it comes down to it, I'll just chop a hole in the plastics and push the winch closer to the radiator. I plan on replacing the bumper anyway, so maybe it won't be necessary.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know the winch is blocking the camera, but I honestly don't see myself using that camera for much other than parking. looking down at a screen while wheeling is just not something I can imagine doing. I'm usually watching the ground or my spotter and don't see a camera as a substitute for either.
I do think the camera is a substitute for a spotter a lot of the time...not always, but it will allow a heck of a lot more driving without a spotter, being able to see forward and exact wheel placement. If it's super difficult, then a spotter will happen, but a lot more terrain can be eaten up without needing one. The camera really is a massive game changer for the way I wheel in that regard....especially with the high hood of the Bronco.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do think the camera is a substitute for a spotter a lot of the time...not always, but it will allow a heck of a lot more driving without a spotter, being able to see forward and exact wheel placement. If it's super difficult, then a spotter will happen, but a lot more terrain can be eaten up without needing one. The camera really is a massive game changer for the way I wheel in that regard....especially with the high hood of the Bronco.
I hear you, but I don't wheel on anything tricky without someone spotting, but I also don't go out alone either.

Even my wife spots if she's the passenger and we're not with a group. I also get out and walk what's ahead if its rocky, has a gradient, or if things look slippery. Overkill, maybe, but I've also never damn near destroyed my rig either.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think they can fix what isn't broke. So the winch blocks the camera. The camera works and the winch works, so what's broke? Do people really drive based on watching a screen, IRL? What a ***** ** ****** ****** *******.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think they can fix what isn't broke. So the winch blocks the camera. The camera works and the winch works, so what's broke? Do people really drive based on watching a screen, IRL? What a ***** ** ****** ****** *******.
OMG, I think I deciphered those **s. :LOL: :eek:

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
They've said they're not working on a solution. Their advice is to relocate the control pack.
I ordered the winch knowing it blocks some of the trail camera. That said I plan to relocate the control pack if there is room under the hood with the 2.7 engine.
Sponsored