Sponsored

Have i made a huge error not getting the 4A mode?

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It is a nice to have but not the end of the world not getting it. The sales guy probably associates it with the Squatch package hence the linking to heavy duty off road. I thought it only came with Squatch but did the B&P and it does come as a standalone option for some models.

I've lived with a bunch of 4wd vehicles as daily drivers and dedicated off road trucks and this will be my first daily vehicle with a 4A type transfer case.

For slick conditions mixed with dry roads, just remember to 'dip' at least one sides' tires into slush or slick stuff every now and then to keep the transfer case from binding. If a lot of dry road, just jump out into 2wd and drive carefully.
Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for those simple and informative responses from Rangarkon and iamchewby I spotted the option on the new price sheet and read the post from a few days ago where there was an god awful long read on awd v. 4wd, which I pretty much understand.

I just wanted to know what Ford was offering!

It sounds like I don't need the option, my 2002 Tacoma didn't have anything like that and it served me well in years of mountain and snow use, and no problems in the desert either.

Sounds like a set and forget feature for those in bad driving conditions that are constantly changing and maybe not as experienced in bad weather/conditions driving v a driver with experience driving in snowy/icy conditions driving across a snowy mountain road.

Thanks for the simple answers, sounds like I can skip this expense and keep it simple; might get built quicker too if kept simple.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi Guys and Gals.

I'm after some advice.

when ordering my Broco, the dealer made it seem the that optional 4A mode was more for heavy duty off roading and that i wouldn't really need it everyday driving. But now after i've taken delivery of the vehicle, more information has been coming out about the 4A mode, i now think that it would have been very useful for driving on regular roads and highways in slippery icy and rainy conditions. Have i made a huge error not getting the 4A mode?
It depends on how you plan to use the vehicle. I agree with a lot of what has been said in this thread (you should get it, you don't need it, etc.). If you need 4WD for off-roading, you don't need 4A (it will be clear when you need 4H or 4L). You may want it for slippery situations on the street. If you know when to go to 4H when needed and, more importantly, when to turn it off, you probably don't need it. In my case, I went Black Diamond among other reasons because 4A was available. My daughters will drive this Bronco and it's easier for me to tell them: If it's snowing, just put it in 4A.

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Weird comment from your dealer. If I'm in offroading conditions I'll put it in 4H or 4L and don't need to worry about 4A. To me 4A is more for the non-offroading conditions. I'm getting 4A cause I live in a city that spends ~5 months of the year below freezing and the highways tend to be 99% fine a day after snowfall, but that last 1% is random patches of black ice out of nowhere. In that situation it does not make sense, nor is it good to put the car in 4H because it's almost all regular freeway driving, but then when I hit a slick patch the 4A can kick in and keep me covered.

Is it a nice to have? Sure seems like it and for my use it's 100% worth it to me for that extra security. Would I do just fine without it? Almost certainly.

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
and...........there is one other thing to consider here. Using 4A requires that all 4 tires are the same size and (used). In other words, if you switch on 4A with any wheel being off, you will likely damage something. Where this really becomes hard to absorb, is when you have one failed tire at say 20'000 miles, and you are forced to buy 4 new ones to avoid the circumference mismatch!

I could be wrong, but that is my understanding of a constant 4-wheel system.

Sponsored

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would say 4A is more for light duty stuff, rain, light snow. I did just fine without it for the last 30 years.

I wouldn't second guess your purchase at all.

Don't listen to sales people.

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi Guys and Gals.

I'm after some advice.

when ordering my Broco, the dealer made it seem the that optional 4A mode was more for heavy duty off roading and that i wouldn't really need it everyday driving. But now after i've taken delivery of the vehicle, more information has been coming out about the 4A mode, i now think that it would have been very useful for driving on regular roads and highways in slippery icy and rainy conditions. Have i made a huge error not getting the 4A mode?
What part of NY ?

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My '11 F-150 stays in 4A from October to April and I use it in the summer in the rain to keep the tail in line when I have to get on it. I won't buy another new vehicle without auto4x4 or AWD. My Excursion and '97 F-150 during fall and spring take constant shifting in and out of 4x4 and it's just nice not having to worry about it.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi Guys and Gals.

I'm after some advice.

My Bronco order has 4A as it will be nice, not required, in the winter. My '05 Xterra does great in the winter without it because I run dedicated winter tires in the winter. (There is a difference between having a 3 peak symbol and being a dedicated winter tire.) Run a set of Blizzaks, or better, Nokian Hakkapelitta tires and you will seldom find the need to use 4wd.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you live in snow/ice country it is super convenient for those mixed condition days. If you are only an occasional winter weather driver you won't miss it at all.

Personally, I find myself not using 4wd as much on my vehicles that do not have 4A, and that's kinda a bad thing. You tend to try and push it for conditions that dictate 4wd than you probably should and a little safety is sacrificed.

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When I had my F-150 I just used 4H in snowy conditions, don't need 4X anything for rain IMO.
Just today I was out on the wet roads in my F-150 trying to make an uphill left turn across traffic from a stop. I tried to pull out quickly to catch a gap in traffic and just smoked one rear tire without moving much at all. I put it in 4A for the rest of the drive and couldn't spin a tire even if I tried. Maybe with an LSD it would have been better, but with open diffs 4A definitely comes in handy.

Also I may or may not have landed at 3 consecutive stoplights next to a Scat Pack Charger and three times in a row from zero up to the speed limit he couldn't touch me in 4A. I could hear his traction control fighting for grip the entire time and I just walked away without a whiff of wheelspin.

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even the most mall crawlery Bronco you could buy is going to be pretty good in adverse conditions. I don't think you've made some huge error.

You have access to both the Slippery and the Sand/Snow GOAT modes too, if you just want to set something and not think about it too much.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You will be fine, but 4A is nice for all of the reason listed above, plus, 4A makes the “quirky “ handling characteristics of 4wd (no differential between wheel speed front to rear) much less noticeable in many situations. This is particularly true if you are sliding with the fronts or rears “locked up” or nearly so with ABS and the opposing tires could/should be spinning at a different rate, but the transfer case can’t allow for this “slip”. This is can manifest itself in sharp understeer or oversteer, depending on the situation. It can also be an issue in higher speed off road driving as well, although less likely to be an issue. Salespeople might associate the 4A with high speed off road use, because the Raptor uses this case?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's a matter of opinion.

4A is more of an AWD-like mode. Basically like if someone took a standard AWD system and a standard 4x4 system and squashed them together.

In my opinion, would it have been a handy feature to have from time to time? Probably. Is it necessary? No, definitely not.

4-high without lockers would probably be able to do 95%+ of what 4-auto can do. My chosen build comes with 4A, but if I could get it without 4A to save some money I would. I don't view it as mandatory at all.
I'd like to add that the 4A option on the OBX includes the rear locker. Whether anyone uses the benefits of the 4A on road or off, the rear locker is a minimum requirement (IMO) for a build in the mid-40K range.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a similar feature on my Silverado and found it helpful. That being said, I don’t think it’s worth losing sleep over.
Sponsored