Sponsored

Have we seen standard bash plates compared to HD bash plates?

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
I'm pretty sure the Wildtrak (among others) has standard bash plates...
Do we know what these cover? Steel? Aluminum?
I'm thinking Badlands armour would probably be overkill for me... Or aftermarket aluminum might be a better choice... Or standard WT.
I'm kinda OCD about overall weight, and the HD plates add significantly, if available options/GVWR are any indication.
Sponsored

OK_Hunter

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infinity g37
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good question... Been wondering this myself!

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would guess, if the upgraded bash plates are like Jeep stock and aftermarket options, that the non upgrade bash plates are steel and 1/8“ thick whereas the upgraded are probably going to be steel at 3/16” thick. Aftermarket options will soon offer Bronco skid plates in both aluminum and steel at 1/4” thick for the most protection.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
. . . wondering the same thing?

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'd be very surprised if they were aluminum. That's why I dont really care if they are the HD plates or not, I intend to go aftermarket aluminum either way.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just a gut feeling but the standard bash plate, at least on the Base, looks plastic and the upgrade looks like thin metal.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m interested in what is on the Wildtrak ... and when I attempt to upgrade the bash plate I delete the sound deadening ... ???

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Standard are probably small and thin. Upgraded are probably not as small, and not as thin.
Other than that, who knows.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a gut feeling but the standard bash plate, at least on the Base, looks plastic and the upgrade looks like thin metal.
This. ?

I agree. I’d bet a sixer that the standard plates are just “this” thicker that a heat shield and the upgraded plates are slightly better than average factory skids. That said they’re unlikely to be as thick / durable as most aftermarket steel skids.

Also no way these are aluminum. Just from a cost perspective, they’re steel.

Speculation? Yes.
Likelihood of accuracy? 98.6%

Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Note that there are multiple bash plates. The front is available with the modular front bumper on all models. The heavy-duty underbody bash plates for engine/trans/tcase/disco/etc (I would call them "skid plates") are only available on BL, BD, and $395 upgrade on WT. For IFS, the underbody plate is important. If the heavy-duty skid plates are like the prototype frame displayed, they are steel plate welded to a round tubing brace on rear. Hopefully aftermarket will quickly provide 0.25" aluminum skid plate sets to upgrade base models. 3/16" steel plate for IFS would be heavy to ship and unwieldy to install.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Note that there are multiple bash plates. The front is available with the modular front bumper on all models. The heavy-duty underbody bash plates for engine/trans/tcase/disco/etc (I would call them "skid plates") are only available on BL, BD, and $395 upgrade on WT. For IFS, the underbody plate is important. If the heavy-duty skid plates are like the prototype frame displayed, they are steel plate welded to a round tubing brace on rear. Hopefully aftermarket will quickly provide 0.25" aluminum skid plate sets to upgrade base models. 3/16" steel plate for IFS would be heavy to ship and unwieldy to install.
Ford Bronco Have we seen standard bash plates compared to HD bash plates? 1606454907476

I would agree the trans and fuel tank plates are steel albeit lighter than I would like. And that the forward plate from the Modular bumper to IFS is steel, again lighter than ideal. On the Base style bumper I still think it's plastic (lower left in this photo), more to keep road spray, mud, sand and vegetation out of the engine compartment as well as improve air flow for fuel economy.

MotownSpartan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape XLT 6cyl
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great Question. Part of the draw to the Black Diamond for me was having the MGV, Drain plugs...AND the beefed up steel bumpers (front and back) and bash plates. Weight is an acknowledged concern though, so have been looking one model below, Big Bend (would add, but looks like you would NOT get a rear STEEL in that configuration) and also at the Bad Lands. It like playing a game of Tetris...LOL

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My one option, the Badlands, would be one I wouldn't touch for upgrading when it comes to armour. But... The rear steel bumper. I'd maybe look down the road at an aftermarket one with a spare/accessory swing mount.
Which brings me back to the Wildtrak and the plastic rear bumper.
Sponsored