First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All on my HOA board and we happen to be an awesome board. We took over from our builder who was in charge of the HOA and they sucked so could go anywhere but up.

But honestly most of the time people that complain about HOA just feel like they should not have to follow the rules they agreed to when they signed the dotted line. So kinda weird when people complain when you literally know what you signed up for... But hey I could just be an awesome board member that is very libertarian in our decision-making.
I think the problem people have with HOAs is nobody ever asked for them and somehow they’ve taken over and you’re forced to pay someone you don’t care about to tell you what to do because you like a particular house.
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Part of my practice is as a Federal compliance auditor and there are state auditors in the family. Simply understanding how to read financial statements and informing the HOA that when you sue them, you will be pursuing their personal assets once you exceed the HOA's (usually ridiculously low) board protection insurance limit has this rather strange ability to shut up an HOA and get them to stop bothering you as they over-step their bounds.

I've also photographed HOA members homes and presented violations at board meetings so that unilaterally applying monetary fines and threats of eviction and/or liens can be done without special treatment to those who misunderstand their rolls.

It is not clear to me why educating HOA members has elicited a universally negative response from them. Aren't they happy to be informed of state laws and limitations they are violating? Isn't that the ultimate goal, compliance?

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All on my HOA board and we happen to be an awesome board. We took over from our builder who was in charge of the HOA and they sucked so could go anywhere but up.

But honestly most of the time people that complain about HOA just feel like they should not have to follow the rules they agreed to when they signed the dotted line. So kinda weird when people complain when you literally know what you signed up for... But hey I could just be an awesome board member that is very libertarian in our decision-making.

That is exactly how I look at trying to be as I am a fair libertarian.

Now that I am not on my phone typing...holy crap there is one neighbor that has the whole block and city on their bad side.

Neighbor moves in (development is still being built) and submits to have a wood fence built. I advise the only wood we approve are redwood and cedar and that most go with white vinyl or that black faux iron style. They agree and then puts up this horrible fence that is pine and what looks like pallet wood. Posts are not in concrete, warping first week, slats not even and their dog bit another neighbors dog. Neighbors complain (we are in the process of fining but on the fence if we should do via an attorney in this case). They find out they never got the required permit. So the City tells them to submit a permit and the homeowner does. Then Covid hits.

I was giving a wide birth due to covid with contractors, materials, cost...benefit of the doubt. Then the neighbors find she is putting in a deck. They call the city...no permit. The city comes out Sat and the inspector apparently went nuts and issued an ultimatum that the fence must be fixed and inspected and they will not allow any other work or permit until that is done. Any work being performed will be a $500 a day fine and if they push beyond that is like up to 1 week in jail. There is also an issue with a non-HOA item regarding a structural change that would probably impact the deck as well...city is pissed.

The rest of stuff is street parking, trash cans not hidden, cars blocking the sidewalk in the driveway. I get it some of it is annoying but a losing battle. The Street parking does get annoying but the city has even said we will damage your car and tough chit if you leave too little room.

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the problem people have with HOAs is nobody ever asked for them and somehow they’ve taken over and you’re forced to pay someone you don’t care about to tell you what to do because you like a particular house.
Wait no one ever asked? When you move into a neighborhood with a HOA... You don't have to ask... You know. Confused by your post. Plus board members are voted on

OP
OP
Fordboi

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait no one ever asked? When you move into a neighborhood with a HOA... You don't have to ask... You know. Confused by your post. Plus board members are voted on
as in, nobody asked for hoa's to be invented

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One doesn’t “move into a neighborhood with an HOA.” One is forced to move into a neighborhood with an HOA. I have never met a person in my life that said, “you know what this neighborhood is missing? An HOA!” People hate them and don’t want them and yet there is almost nowhere you can move without them, especially in any new developments. Townhomes, homes, condos, they’re everywhere. When I looked for houses I didn’t see a single neighborhood without an HOA. I’m just fine living in a neighborhood where someone doesn’t send me a letter because you can see my trash can from the street, the horror. ?

I’m also not a Karen, I don’t go to HOA meetings or vote on members, that’s for PTA moms.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you. I’m sure somewhere someone thought, “it would be nice if that guy on the corner didn’t have a hot pink house and 6’ tall weeds.”

I think the answer is worse then the problem now.

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ah gotcha... The thing with my neighborhood is we have a large amenity center, pool, 75 acres and also a steam that runs through the neighborhood so only way to take care of that is having fees.

Honestly though we are a really good HOA board. We let people make decisions for themselves and only go after people that have really terrible lawn/ dead trees. All the request for changes in the yards are all approved unless it is something insane.... And we have only had 1 really insane request.

OP
OP
Fordboi

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah gotcha... The thing with my neighborhood is we have a large amenity center, pool, 75 acres and also a steam that runs through the neighborhood so only way to take care of that is having fees.

Honestly though we are a really good HOA board. We let people make decisions for themselves and only go after people that have really terrible lawn/ dead trees. All the request for changes in the yards are all approved unless it is something insane.... And we have only had 1 really insane request.
really wat. tell me

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One doesn’t “move into a neighborhood with an HOA.” One is forced to move into a neighborhood with an HOA. I have never met a person in my life that said, “you know what this neighborhood is missing? An HOA!” People hate them and don’t want them and yet there is almost nowhere you can move without them, especially in any new developments. Townhomes, homes, condos, they’re everywhere. When I looked for houses I didn’t see a single neighborhood without an HOA. I’m just fine living in a neighborhood where someone doesn’t send me a letter because you can see my trash can from the street, the horror. ?

I’m also not a Karen, I don’t go to HOA meetings or vote on members, that’s for PTA moms.
Oh I had choices when I bought my house with neighborhoods that didn't have them.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

My HOA is mostly fine, they stay away. But I’d gladly save my $240 a year.

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
really wat. tell me
We had this family that wanted to plant 3 live oak trees on the corner lot in the front of the house... Trouble is the corner of the front is really small and not sure if they didn't understand how F"ing massive live oaks grow... Plus it was too help them. They where planning on planting to near there main water line...Which within 5 years world have easy broken there line.... It doesn't sound crazy but it is when you see the lot and knowing what would happen to there own property... BTW we did explain the reason to them and they where actually really thankful we did. But again we are a great HOA.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve seen the issue with my sister where they sent fines for a work van parked in a driveway. Turned into a 20K lien, what in the F is that nonsense? I’m sorry but the fact some angry moms can take 20K and put a lien in your house for a vehicle is next level stupid.

My mother in law complained about her fence falling over and her deck falling apart, it was the responsibility of the HOA to repair.

They refused and told her she had to pay for it. So she paid for it to all be replaced and then they came back a year later and told her they were ripping out her new deck and fence and replacing it with their choice as it didn’t match. Oh and we won’t refund the money we told you to pay. I’ve never heard anything good about an HOA.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My bill is over 1200 a year.
I would never pay $1200 a year so people can tell me what i can and can’t do to my house. That is ridiculous.
Sponsored