William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You pay taxes right? ???
I don’t have a choice to pay taxes but I prefer to not go to jail. I do have a choice to not get ripped off by paying an HOA...i don’t care how much I liked a house, if it was $1,200 a year I wouldn’t buy the house.

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would never pay $1200 a year so people can tell me what i can and can’t do to my house. That is ridiculous.
il
It's not that much money so am not too worried about it. Plus I love my neighborhood and neighbors so am totally cool with it.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you. I’m sure somewhere someone thought, “it would be nice if that guy on the corner didn’t have a hot pink house and 6’ tall weeds.”

I think the answer is worse then the problem now.
Pink houses are awesome for breast cancer awareness and I know alot of people who would love 6ft tall weed!

Sorry it was a perfect example.

thehermdawg10

Base
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Luckily never had any issues with neighbors or HOAs, even as my house is stacked to the brim with cars, and my AE86 leaked oil all over the street (whoops?) Still not a fan of the idea and hope they all get abolished one day.

Sponsored

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I lived with two roommates in this rental. Nice house, nice area, all real friendly neighbors. Trash day was every Tuesday, and the cans were put out the night before or the morning of. After work we'd bring them in. No problem so far right?

Well someone in the neighborhood decided that we were leaving the cans out too long, and started off by dragging them up on our driveway. How long is too long? I'd get home around 6. By then the "do gooder" had done their work.

It started off innocent enough, they'd move them up just onto the driveway the first few weeks.

Then a few weeks of midway up the driveway

Then a few weeks of all the way up against the garage door

Then on the path to the front door

And finally, as their last act of incomprehensible passive aggression, I came home one day to the trash can pressed right up against the front door.

No one from the HOA ever contacted us about it either. Trash cans were brought in within a timely manner according to their rules. I don't know who was doing it, but looking back its pretty funny someone had a stick rammed so far up their tree that bringing the cans in as soon as I got home was not sufficient in their eyes. I guess I was supposed to bring them in as soon as they were taken? Although I don't know what time that was since I was at work...

OP
OP
Fordboi

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I lived with two roommates in this rental. Nice house, nice area, all real friendly neighbors. Trash day was every Tuesday, and the cans were put out the night before or the morning of. After work we'd bring them in. No problem so far right?

Well someone in the neighborhood decided that we were leaving the cans out too long, and started off by dragging them up on our driveway. How long is too long? I'd get home around 6. By then the "do gooder" had done their work.

It started off innocent enough, they'd move them up just onto the driveway the first few weeks.

Then a few weeks of midway up the driveway

Then a few weeks of all the way up against the garage door

Then on the path to the front door

And finally, as their last act of incomprehensible passive aggression, I came home one day to the trash can pressed right up against the front door.

No one from the HOA ever contacted us about it either. Trash cans were brought in within a timely manner according to their rules. I don't know who was doing it, but looking back its pretty funny someone had a stick rammed so far up their tree that bringing the cans in as soon as I got home was not sufficient in their eyes. I guess I was supposed to bring them in as soon as they were taken? Although I don't know what time that was since I was at work...
i mean, heck, if someone else brings the trashcan in for i'm fine with that! our driveway is super long and bumpy lol

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For the "land of the free" you guys sure do have a lot of HOAs. :ROFLMAO:

They are pretty rare in Canada. When we were looking for a piece of land in my town there was one available that was "bareland condo." Great piece of property but we couldn't imagine paying a monthly fee just to have our street plowed and some funny rules. No thanks.

So if you can't find a place to live without HOAs we'd love to have you. There's a whole country free of them up here!

MHand52

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT/CS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wait no one ever asked? When you move into a neighborhood with a HOA... You don't have to ask... You know. Confused by your post. Plus board members are voted on
That could be a regional thing that Bronco4Lyfe85 is describing, because he is exactly correct. People from other regions really dont understand how hard it is to get a house in Colorado now. If you want a house built in the last 40 years (seriously), it's going to have an HOA. Plus, they are off the market in hours with 3-5 offers of $10-20k over the list price of the house. I was under contract on my house before I could even go inside. So being that constricted when you need a place to live, you do not simply "have choice" to not live in an HOA. At least unless you're made of money. My <1000 sq ft house is worth $280k

Thank you. I’m sure somewhere someone thought, “it would be nice if that guy on the corner didn’t have a hot pink house and 6’ tall weeds.”

I think the answer is worse then the problem now.
Also part of the reason I'm so bitter. I can't have a damn brown garage door, but the people 2 houses down got their house stucco'd to look like an effing La Casita. No joke, pink stucco, white trim, pink rocks. Also I get multiple notices for a small vine patch when neighbors have 3' weeds going down their sidewalk. If you can't do it fairly, it's not worth doing at all.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fordboi

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also part of the reason I'm so bitter. I can't have a damn brown garage door, but the people 2 houses down got their house stucco'd to look like an effing La Casita. No joke, pink stucco, white trim, pink rocks. Also I get multiple notices for a small vine patch when neighbors have 3' weeds going down their sidewalk. If you can't do it fairly, it's not worth doing at all.
just go around and take pictures of the neighbors offences and show it to the hoa. see what they say to that lol

Phil_68w10

Big Bend
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm hoping to avoid those next year when I do buy a house.

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That could be a regional thing that Bronco4Lyfe85 is describing, because he is exactly correct. People from other regions really dont understand how hard it is to get a house in Colorado now. If you want a house built in the last 40 years (seriously), it's going to have an HOA. Plus, they are off the market in hours with 3-5 offers of $10-20k over the list price of the house. I was under contract on my house before I could even go inside. So being that constricted when you need a place to live, you do not simply "have choice" to not live in an HOA. At least unless you're made of money. My <1000 sq ft house is worth $280k

I totally see your frustrations in that! It would drive me crazy also.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Yep!! I bought my house for 330K December 2018 and they’re telling me it’s worth 365K in August of 2020. Thankfully I found the mildest HOA around, I missed a payment and they just called me and reminded me.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs