First Name
sarge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 ford bronco, 1985 Jeep cj7
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I live on Kauai and was wondering how the rest of Hawaii residents are going to get the bronco back to the islands.
I am going to the mainland to pick mine up and then put on boat at Long Beach. Whats your plan?
Sponsored

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just move back to the mainland from Oahu I was curious how bad the mark up is going to be.

I remember the Ford in Kaneohe marking up a focus rs almost 40k

OP
OP

kauaiman

Black Diamond
First Name
sarge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
yup! that's why I'm buying off island. Kauai marked up the new jeep truck $10,000 and didn't care. they knew somebody would buy it and it sold! I can't imagine how much dealers will mark up the bronco.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep buying a Bronco is really just an excuse for a 3 week mainland roadtrip for me. Did it when I bought my Eagle a few years ago. Cant wait to do it and include even more offroading in a Bronco. Gonna try to go to some of my old mud stomping grounds in Ohio and definitely going back to Moab, also would like to find parts of the Trans American Trail. I will probably buy from Granger unless I can find a better deal for MY 22 or 23. I work in tourism so this year has sucked for savings. Probably realisticly need to save $15,000 for a trip and a down payment plus $1200 shipping. Should take about a year and a half as long as the tourists keep coming.

So Iowa, Ohio, Utah, maybe Wyoming and Texas, then California. I dont know how that roadtrip is gonna be ordered but my Bronco should be well broken in before it hits da aina.

OP
OP

kauaiman

Black Diamond
First Name
sarge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Im going with granger and having it shipped to Colorado with a group. shipping will be less and ill drive it to Long Beach. fun trip

Sponsored

RickyD

Badlands
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My reservation is currently with Cutter Ford on Oahu but I'm interested in buying on the mainland and shipping to the islands myself if the savings warrant it. I haven't done much research on the subject yet but I've only bought one new car (wife's VW in 2013) in the 20 years I've lived here and I don't remember there being anything too outrageous in terms of markup.

If I were to buy off island and ship, wouldn't I have to pay a registration fee and taxes in the state I purchase from and then another fee to HI? I'm wondering if that combined with the shipping cost would void out any markup imposed by the dealer here. I read some info on the interwebs that mentions a 4% usage fee for bringing a car over within 90 days of purchase. I'm not sure how accurate that is though as it was written a few years ago.

I'd appreciate any info you you guys have on the subject. If it's that much of a difference, I'd certainly jump in on one of the group buys going on and take a drive to the coast and ship it myself. I'm always down for any reason to take a mainland road trip.

OP
OP

kauaiman

Black Diamond
First Name
sarge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I bought a Honda Civic sport for the wife last year. went to kauai Honda and they said the did not have the model or color she wanted. I said ,no rush, they said, buy what we have. great customer service! I bought a Honda in Las Vegas for a great price. we flew in, picked up the car, drove to Long Beach and put it on the boat. everything worked out great and I saved $3,000 dollars even after I paid for the boat shipping. The only difference this time is Matson gave themselves a 50% raise this year so I was quoted $2,000 to ship to Kauai. I know I will save at least a couple thousand and it will be a fun road trip to get the new bronco.

OP
OP

kauaiman

Black Diamond
First Name
sarge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
as far as registration, Nevada gave me temporary plates to get car to boat. I am looking at Granger as dealership and they are sending 6 broncos at a time to Denver. I pick up in Denver with temp plates and drive to Long Beach. you will register bronco on island when it gets here.

RickyD

Badlands
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought a Honda Civic sport for the wife last year. went to kauai Honda and they said the did not have the model or color she wanted. I said ,no rush, they said, buy what we have. great customer service! I bought a Honda in Las Vegas for a great price. we flew in, picked up the car, drove to Long Beach and put it on the boat. everything worked out great and I saved $3,000 dollars even after I paid for the boat shipping. The only difference this time is Matson gave themselves a 50% raise this year so I was quoted $2,000 to ship to Kauai. I know I will save at least a couple thousand and it will be a fun road trip to get the new bronco.
Thanks! Did HI charge a "usage fee" or whatever above normal taxes?

OP
OP

kauaiman

Black Diamond
First Name
sarge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
no, just the usual registration fee and excise tax

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am happy to see the HI folks in the Southwest Group. I thought for sure you all would be in the California Group. I miss working in HI.

Lele73

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aston Martin vantage
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live on Kauai and was wondering how the rest of Hawaii residents are going to get the bronco back to the islands.
I am going to the mainland to pick mine up and then put on boat at Long Beach. Whats your plan?
If I remember correctly, youd I’ve to wait 90 days to bring it to Hawaii or pay state taxes.

Packman

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang Pace Car
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My reservation is currently with Cutter Ford on Oahu but I'm interested in buying on the mainland and shipping to the islands myself if the savings warrant it. I haven't done much research on the subject yet but I've only bought one new car (wife's VW in 2013) in the 20 years I've lived here and I don't remember there being anything too outrageous in terms of markup.

If I were to buy off island and ship, wouldn't I have to pay a registration fee and taxes in the state I purchase from and then another fee to HI? I'm wondering if that combined with the shipping cost would void out any markup imposed by the dealer here. I read some info on the interwebs that mentions a 4% usage fee for bringing a car over within 90 days of purchase. I'm not sure how accurate that is though as it was written a few years ago.

I'd appreciate any info you you guys have on the subject. If it's that much of a difference, I'd certainly jump in on one of the group buys going on and take a drive to the coast and ship it myself. I'm always down for any reason to take a mainland road trip.
I initially made my reservation on the mainland, but having already negotiated MSRP with a local dealer, I moved my reservation to the island. I know the dealerships around here have crazy ADM, but we have a lot of sway because if they won’t ditch ADM, we can simply reserve somewhere else.

BeastMode666

Big Bend
First Name
Chels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 jeep patriot sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I initially made my reservation on the mainland, but having already negotiated MSRP with a local dealer, I moved my reservation to the island. I know the dealerships around here have crazy ADM, but we have a lot of sway because if they won’t ditch ADM, we can simply reserve somewhere else.
What dealer are you going through?