Sponsored

Headed to OBX next month. Do I need protectant spray on the undercarriage?

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wouldn't say it is needed, but probably couldn't hurt. I live just north of OBX, about 1/4 mile from the beach; don't have any special undercoating on my 15 year old truck and it's not rusting out. I am interested to know if adding this undercoating may attract sand more readily than not. My mechanic always knows when I've been driving on the beach cuz he finds sand everywhere in the engine bay.

They have drive-thru auto washes down there and would recommend that with the undercarriage rinse when heading home.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OBX is an amazing spot to spend time in the summer on the Outer banks of Carolina, basically a chain of islands, that although have become a lil touristy in spots have some amazing places to relax. I go at least once a year and spend a week in Rodanthe.... look it up... there is so much to do and explore and still have that small town feel.
Agreed. Back in a previous life I lived in NoVa* and escapes to OBX were always welcome. That was a VERY long time ago and I can't imagine what it's like down there now.

* - NoVa = Northern Virginia

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't say it is needed, but probably couldn't hurt. I live just north of OBX, about 1/4 mile from the beach; don't have any special undercoating on my 15 year old truck and it's not rusting out. I am interested to know if adding this undercoating may attract sand more readily than not. My mechanic always knows when I've been driving on the beach cuz he finds sand everywhere in the engine bay.

They have drive-thru auto washes down there and would recommend that with the undercarriage rinse when heading home.
I went to look at a vehicle this past week from NY state.
Ziebart decal on the window.
Owner said he had it coated right when taking it home, not so sure it was ever done again.
Bottom of the rockers, floor pans, and shock towers ALL heavy bubbled rust. Even the wheels behind the wheel covers were staining the tires red from the rust runoff water.

Not saying it helps or hurts, as being in NC it's not something we ever really have to deal with with the heavy salted roads...but in THIS case I can't see where it helped anything, maybe even hastened the process.

I have had to redo a few vehicles someone applied the POR15 product to at one point. It hardens to a shell and basically encapsulates the moisture once it gets in and keeps it against the metal.
The POR15 would come off in large chunks with large chunks of rusty metal adhered to the backside of it.
In one case the POR15 shell was all that was keeping a floorpan together. Once removed, there was no metal left. Just a crunchy pile of black and rusty shards on the floor.

I personally don't trust any of it.
I Fluid Film'ed my frame on the Bronco early on, just in case it does help. But found it really likes to attract the staining muddy water. Jury is out whether it helps or hurts.
My opinion, anyway. May be wrong, may be correct.

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agreed. Back in a previous life I lived in NoVa* and escapes to OBX were always welcome. That was a VERY long time ago and I can't imagine what it's like down there now.

* - NoVa = Northern Virginia
I thought No Va was taken from Spanish to mean "No Go" due to all the traffic in Northern Virginia and/or to indicate the mass amounts of Government Gridlock in DC.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought No Va was taken from Spanish to mean "No Go" due to all the traffic in Northern Virginia and/or to indicate the mass amounts of Government Gridlock in DC.
I don't know dude, I was in HS - where the Spanish we learned seems to be different than what you were taught, as well. Anyway it was a nice place to live and OBX was a nice place to visit.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I lived in VA Beach for almost ten years, never had an undercarriage coated and never had any issues. I am sure a bunch of our FL members will tell you the same. I wouldn't go treating the undercarriage just for a trip to OBX. As mentioned, run it through the wash on your way out of town and you will be fine. The road salt used up north does 10x the damage than any salt spray from the coast.

Last edited:

Mikey1287

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 72 Mach, 03 Mach, 69 Mach, 08 Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm going in July and don't plan on doing anything other than pressure washing the undercarriage before I leave for home at the end of the trip.

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just got back from the OBX, when I drove on the beach I always stopped at one the the car washes for a good undercarriage clean. Also ran it through the car wash when I got back. I think if you are just using an undercoating for a visit to the OBX that might be a bit of overkill.

JuztQu3zt

Outer Banks
First Name
jhanny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 camaro 2ss
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yep! All our models sans Base and Wild Track are named after actual camping/off-roading destinations. Raptor is named after Isla Nublar. ;)
fun fact isla nublar from jurassic park the movie, the scene they show just the island in the begging is isle de coco en costa rica. good luck going though huge wait list to be able to go since the island is protected by the government for its wildlife and possible treasures stashed there by pirate's years ago

WhiskeyCity

Badlands
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.3L, 7spd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I lived in VA Beach for almost ten years, never had an undercarriage coated and never had any issues. I am sure a bunch of our FL members will tell you the same. I wouldn't go treating the undercarriage just for a trip to OBX. As mentioned, run it through the wash on your way out of town and you will be fine. The road salt used up north does 10x the damage than any salt spray from the coast.
^^THIS^^

If you don't live in an area that regularly uses road salt/brine in the winter time, undercarriage coating is not necessary. Just run it thought the wash when you get home, no worries.

Cheers,

WC

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roofus

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

🤣 That tracks.
If I could leave the Swamp, I would.

SeaVee

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 2500 Suburban, 77 Bronco, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Stay out of the puddles and give it a good bath when you get back, inside and out. If you’re parking at the beach all day and there’s any wind, your interior and interior glass will get coated with a salty film, no big deal but it happens. The ramps are dusty as well, it gets everywhere if the top is off. Where are you going? Big difference in the beach between up north in Carova and down south on Hatteras Island. Much tougher conditions on the island. We’re there as much as possible- it’s a cool place.
Ford Bronco Headed to OBX next month. Do I need protectant spray on the undercarriage? 93D9FA14-A051-456E-915A-6239100E35C1

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If you don’t drive through the salt water and stick to the beach you’ll be fine.

if you want to be extra cautious, get some saltaway and spray the underside with it.

I never did anything on my Jeep and had no rust after 12 years.

BarefootCrafters

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5th Generation Bronco, 6th Generation Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wondering what OBX means in this context. Sounds like a place, outer banks of the east coast?
We that live here in the North Carolina Outer Banks do not refer to our home as “OBX” We actually use the names of the villages as they are…

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One of the guys we’re going with recommended spraying a Woolwax undercarriage protectant to prevent rust from the salt water spray. Is that normal/common/recommended? We will be camping right on the beach. Wasn’t planning on driving through the water, but I guess there could be salt in the air especially with the humidity. Never camped at the beach with my car, so just looking for some experienced feedback here. Thanks!

Ford Bronco Headed to OBX next month. Do I need protectant spray on the undercarriage? 93D9FA14-A051-456E-915A-6239100E35C1
My family 1967 Scout was a rustbucket, as were our 1970s vehicles, so when Ziebart innovated a flexible inner panel & frame coating, I used it for several decades if it was a new vehicle. I also Ziebarted inside the box-frame of my steel, painted boat trailer, and it had no rust after 15 years when I sold it. Over the last 2 decades, vehicle paint, coatings and steel/aluminum have progressed to the point where rust is not a significant undercarriage issue. So I did not rust-proof my 2016 F150, nor my 2021 Bronco OBX, both of which spent/spend significant time on the beaches with no obvious blemishes.

However, salt at the ocean (as well as road salt, when I lived up North) is a corrossive, destructive substance, and combined with the effects of UV sunlight, can age many components on a vehicle. I lived on both Cape Cod and Lake Champlain, and boats on the fresh water lake lasted longer and looked better longer than the Salt Water boats.

Personally, i wash under my vehicles when returning from a beach trip, (or find a good rain puddle) and topsides, keep the vehicle clean and lubricate moving parts and hinges. I attend to things anti-rust coatings wouldn't help, I also keep ahead of wear items like bearing replacement and suspension lubrication, if its possible. Also, I make sure that after-market wiring is properly joined or soldered, and well protected in the engine bay. Many speak well of modern oil coatings, I dont like them, but for some, they're a great option if applied to new vehicle, or a work vehicle.
Sponsored