MinxShoals

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback / XC40
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am experiencing a strange behavior with my headlights.

When I set the dial to off, turn off the ignition, exit the vehicle and lock it, upon returning, the dial is set to auto. Video attached.

I have found my headlights on a few times when parked. In those cases, the dial was definitely set by me to the off position, but I found it changed to the on position.

In addition, sometimes when turning on the vehicle and driving, I have noticed there is no indicator illuminating at all, with nothing lit. Turning the dial "wakes it up".

Has anyone experienced these things? Possible bad switch or programming bug/failure?

EDIT 12/19/22: FIXED
Note: Video below does not correctly demonstrate the issue. This is the default behavior, but can be changed in Forscan to default to last used setting, rather than auto mode.

Issue: Headlamp switch becomes unresponsive ~70 minutes after turning vehicle off. Headlamps then turn on by themselves for approximately 10 minutes. Vehicle then activates power save mode and headlamps turn off. Headlamp switch remains unresponsive until rotating the dial 2-3 times.

Cause: Bad headlamp switch.

Solution: A new headlamp switch was released by Ford to address this issue.
Replacement switch part # (No Fog Lights): M2DZ-11654-GC

Reference: SSM 51166 2021-2022 Bronco - Headlamps Turn On By Themselves When Vehicle Is Off - DTC B1533

Some 2021-2022 Bronco vehicles may exhibit a condition of intermittent headlamp operation while the vehicle is OFF and have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1533 stored in the body control module (BCM). This may be due to the internal logic within the headlamp switch. To correct this condition, replace the headlamp switch (service base PN: 11654). Refer Workshop Manual, Section 417-01.

Sponsored

Last edited:

kurkowski41

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Bronco 4BT, 1996 F350 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been in some cars that you can turn the lights off, but on the key cycle they will return to auto as a default (kinda like the auto start/stop). However if it's actually turning the lights to "on" that doesn't seem right.

OP
OP
MinxShoals

MinxShoals

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback / XC40
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've been in some cars that you can turn the lights off, but on the key cycle they will return to auto as a default (kinda like the auto start/stop). However if it's actually turning the lights to "on" that doesn't seem right.
Thanks. If that is the case then at least it explains what is seen in the video.

But I definitely have returned to my parked vehicle at night with the lights on and the dial set to on. I know I didn't park it that way.

Also the "sleeping" dial only adds to my suspicion something is not correct.

Sponsored

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You either have a sneaky little midget in there, or that things possessed. :oops: :geek:
I'd look through the manual and see what the breakdown is for the order of operations.

OP
OP
MinxShoals

MinxShoals

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback / XC40
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine automatically switch back to auto if they are in the off position when I get out.
Thanks for confirming that is intended.

I will need to get the other issues on video for my dealer.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hopefully Ford doesn't make the switch default to automatic every drive cycle? Wranglers sometimes have issues with dome lights staying when the doors are on or off due to system confusion. I've had to go and open and reclose doors before to get the light to go off.

Rant: I hate all the new software driven switches and dials (like digital radio volume dials). I know they do it for money, software, and computer control reasons, but there's nothing like trying to turn the volume up or down on your radio, and the software is too bogged down so it doesn't see you turning the knob and misses all or some of your input. Auto start stop disable has to be digital, because the automakers miss out on tax incentives if they don't default it to on every drive cycle.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my 2009 F150 I’d hit the dial with my knee on occasion and bump the dial to a different position than what I left it in. Might be what’s happening as that dial is mechanical only I believe.

<edit 2022-02-18> From my experience with my Bronco and with confirmation from the manual, the light switch in the Bronco is electronic, and will return to the “auto” position when you restart your Bronco. Like other switches in modern cars, it resets each use.

Last edited:

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Auto start stop disable has to be digital, because the automakers miss out on tax incentives if they don't default it to on every drive cycle.
It’s not only that: they need auto s/s in order to meet the very tough EPA requirements.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MinxShoals

MinxShoals

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback / XC40
Your Bronco Model
Base
In my 2009 F150 I’d hit the dial with my knee on occasion and bump the dial to a different position than what I left it in. Might be what’s happening as that dial is mechanical only I believe.
I saw another thread where that was mentioned and hoped it to be the case. Unfortunately, after strictly paying attention to my exit, it is not the cause.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saw another thread where that was mentioned and hoped it to be the case. Unfortunately, after strictly paying attention to my exit, it is not the cause.
Worth a shot!

Good luck solving the issue.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're unlocking the truck and it thinks it's night time (windshield cam/sensors), it'll turn the "approach lighting" on...
I'm gonna guess you do NOT have signature lighting as well...?

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine does it too. Looked it up and its a feature.
Ford Bronco FIXED: Headlights turning on when switched off 1635977598861
Sponsored