First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mine just turns on randomly when its in the driveway, it goes from automatic, to nothing being lit on the selector.

It's clearly a software issue.
Hi there! I can look into your Bronco's headlight concerns on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It happened yet again today to me. I watched them turn on this time while the truck was parked and locked. This is not an issue of people just hitting the switch. Really hope something comes of this soon. Itā€™s starting to get old seeing ā€œlow power mode activatedā€ every day when the headlights have a mind of their own. Iā€™ve tried turning the switch to off when I get out and that isnā€™t correcting the issue either.
Good afternoon, Graydon! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into these headlight concerns for you on my end. Thanks!

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, I was able to finally watch my headlights turn on all by themselves. Was sitting at a park w/ my family. Parked the bronco, looked over and all was good. 5 mins later, my headlights were on with no one near the vehicle. Walked over, opened the door and headlight switch had nothing selected. Twisted it up and back to auto and fine for now.

I'm getting really annoyed by the low battery indicator as a result of the headlights randomly turning on. I don't have any faith in my local dealer debugging this one. They'll likely swap the switch, but i'm pretty sure this one is software related.

Little Zoo 55

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, I was able to finally watch my headlights turn on all by themselves. Was sitting at a park w/ my family. Parked the bronco, looked over and all was good. 5 mins later, my headlights were on with no one near the vehicle. Walked over, opened the door and headlight switch had nothing selected. Twisted it up and back to auto and fine for now.

I'm getting really annoyed by the low battery indicator as a result of the headlights randomly turning on. I don't have any faith in my local dealer debugging this one. They'll likely swap the switch, but i'm pretty sure this one is software related.
I have the same issue with mine I have a 2022 base. I have not contacted the dealership yet.

espeefreeboardr

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was having the same issue. I am sitting in a Ford service waiting room at this very second having the light switch replaced. I was told there was a short in it. Took about two months to get a new switch in, hopefully the new switch resolves the issue.
Update: Still having the same issue after the physical light switch was replaced.

Sponsored

Griffstar07

Base
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base, Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are multiple threads on this issue. I donā€™t think itā€™s the switch anymore as many have reported the issue continues even after the switch is replaced. I think, as others have already surmised, that it is a software issue. I did reach out to Ford above, and have a case number started. I think everyone should do that so we can all be part of the solution. I am going to get into my dealership this Friday if I can. Hopefully the more of us doing that the quicker resources are put towards a solution.

MelissaJ19

Outer Banks
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Popping in here to say that I was a 4/11 blend that got stuck in plant hold purgatory. I was able to get information that my purgatory is related to a software issue with the headlights. I am frustrated, because I want my dang Bronco already so following along on this thread to see when a fix happens. When it does, hopefully it will get shipped out soon after.

Longhorn Fan

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Popping in here to say that I was a 4/11 blend that got stuck in plant hold purgatory. I was able to get information that my purgatory is related to a software issue with the headlights. I am frustrated, because I want my dang Bronco already so following along on this thread to see when a fix happens. When it does, hopefully it will get shipped out soon after.
We are likely in the same situation. Where did you hear about this?

I had seen somebody post about our potential issue being headlamps functionality, wind noise L/S A pillar, and ambient air temperature sensor. These were from 4/4-4/18 production weeks. Is this the same you are redefining above in software issue with headlamps?

It seems the plant hold for chips might not be rectified until the first 3 weeks of July from what Iā€™ve read but could our issue be the above and potentially fixed sooner? Hope so as chat, phone reps and dealer are in the dark beyond ā€œin production, plant hold and 5/29 eta.ā€

Last edited:

MelissaJ19

Outer Banks
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We are likely in the same situation. Where did you hear about this?

I had seen somebody post about our potential issue being headlamps functionality, wind noise L/S A pillar, and ambient air temperature sensor. These were from 4/4-4/18 production weeks. Is this the same you are redefining above in software issue with headlamps?

It seems the plant hold for chips might now be rectified until the first 3 weeks of July from what Iā€™ve read but could our issue be the above and potentially fixed sooner? Hope so as chat, phone reps and dealer are in the dark beyond ā€œin production, plant hold and 5/29 eta.ā€
I found (stalked) a person on FB that checked for me šŸ¤£

Longhorn Fan

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I found (stalked) a person on FB that checked for me šŸ¤£
My bronco hasnā€™t moved from a lot in Ypsilanti since 4/20 and my FordPass doesnā€™t show any alerts with something not functioning properly. Very odd to have a software issues with ours and not with so many others produced during same time with similar build specs.

The whole thing is just so frustrating but very glad to know others are trying to get info who are in the same position.

Sponsored

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just an update regarding my experience with the issue. Every time the lights stay on, two things happen. One, the chimes come on when you open the door. Two the indicator light for the switch is off so you don't know what position it's in. @FordMotorCompany just thought I would add this. I am going to the dealer Thursday to schedule an appointment to troubleshoot.

pbjsammich

Base
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Simply wanted to get in on this thread. I just picked up my 22 Base Bronco on friday. Had the headlight issue randomly happen twice since then. I have only noticed this exiting the vehicle though, haven't noticed it turning on by itself yet. Kinda don't want to take it to the dealer yet...only had the vehicle for 3 days!!!!

For what it's worth, mine has given the exact same symptoms as emkayw described....

gnusto

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Simply wanted to get in on this thread. I just picked up my 22 Base Bronco on friday. Had the headlight issue randomly happen twice since then. I have only noticed this exiting the vehicle though, haven't noticed it turning on by itself yet. Kinda don't want to take it to the dealer yet...only had the vehicle for 3 days!!!!

For what it's worth, mine has given the exact same symptoms as emkayw described....
As a 2 year lurker that finally felt the need to register..

I feel like the majority of the posts that mention trim level, mention base, though I have seen black diamond and Big Bend mentioned as well. When posting, it would be ideal if you mention trim level and/or at least body style.

I've had my base 2 door since Feb 27. I've had 16 documented incidences since then (1 just today) of headlights auto turning on. Almost all (if not all) in either overcast or "sundown" conditions ( i park outdoors ). I'm sure I've missed some since the lights do turn themselves off.

I am a software dev with more years experience than I'd care to admit publicly. I have moderately detailed notes if @Ford really wants to reach out. I can't find a pattern yet to reproduce the problem, but my gut feeling is cooler, more humid days have much more incidence of trouble. I'll be happy to take the time to dump all my notes to fomoco if they want, but I'm not wasting my time otherwise.

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Been having the headlight issue also. Some times they come on while truck is off. Sometimes they will be on while driving (day light) look down and head light switch is black with no position indicator.

Ford has directed Technician to replace BCM. Bad news is it's on backorder with no ETA.

Technician owns a bronco also and his lights come on randomly also.

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Badlands and have experienced this gremlin on multiple occasions.

I switch my headlamps to the off position before exiting the vehicle. If I re-open a door or the tailgate, without starting the vehicle, the switch reverts to auto. If I shut my door very hard at all after exiting the vehicle, the switch reverts to auto. When left in the auto position, there is a high likelihood the lights will come on by themselves.

If the switch stays in the off position when I leave the vehicle, it seems like there is less of a likelihood that the lights will self-illuminate, but Iā€™m not positive if this solves the problem.

This is an annoying switch, even without the gremlin, since it defaults to auto whenever the car is re-started. Kinda like the annoying auto-stop feature which must be reset every time you drive the car. I resent big brother, in this case Ford, dictating what should be on or off whenever I drive my car. I resent it even more when the system is a malfunctioning POS.
Sponsored