Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Trying to cope with the loss of our son June 14, 2020 and maybe helping others along the way. First, this is not my Bronco, it's my son's. He was waiting to purchase one as soon as they were available. His Great Dane had turned 1 and was quickly out growing his Challenger. We lost him a month before reservations went live.

He had fought depression and suicidal thoughts, although you would have never had know. Well liked by everyone and he made everyone feel like his friend. Like they say, his smile could light up a room. 4 year varsity wrestler and captain his senior year. Spent a year in a half at the University of Arkansas (WPS) where he loved Fayetteville. Things took a turn for the worse mentally however and we had to bring him home for fear of him harming himself. A parents worst nightmare. After primary care doctor, endocrinologist, neurologist, sleep study, psychiatrist; we thought it was handled. But a week before he passed, we found him in the driveway pacing and crying. Said he was having a panic attack and it was the fourth one that day. We asked to take him to the emergency room, but he said no that they would admit him. We didn't understand what he was talking about. He agreed to take his blood pressure and if it was elevated then he would go. His blood pressure was fine... He said he's getting better and can handle it. A week later at the age of 21, he took his life. We found out later through one of his friend he had mentioned hearing voices. We've been absolutely devastated.

When Ford reservations went live, I was on my phone around 2am as I had been since his passing. I had never thought about reserving a Bronco until that moment. It's been a blessing as I've been able to stay busy and keep my mind occupied. Building and rebuilding. Communicating on this forum and learning so much. Planning modifications that will span years as if Connor and I are doing it together. I've even decided to document the work and our travels. Heal'n thru Wheel'n came to me as away to maybe help others in a similar situation. If we can find a way to cope; then maybe others will see that while you never recover, you can live by coping.

We've been without our Buddy for the past 3 weeks as it's been getting fixed up for it's role in helping overcome tragedy. We wanted something that is recognizable as we travel the country and ride trails. Something that can help tell the story. We decided to use Ford's 4600 Bronco as inspiration. Made a few changes where we felt carbon fiber might be a nice transition. Added some PPF to offer a bit more protection. Ceramic glaze to make cleaning a bit easier. A few Easter eggs of our own to represent Connor.

Hope to see some of you around. If you recognize it out on a trail or getting gas, please say hello. It would mean the world to us to meet you. If you want to follow the new page feel free to. It's https://www.facebook.com/healn.thru.wheeln. The Youtube page will be started as soon as I get the interview from us getting Buddy wrapped explaining what it all means. In the mean time, those still waiting; I understand it's tough. I was one of you, and it's totally worth it.

Ford Bronco Heal'n thru Wheel'n : Bronco Build Tribute to Lost Son IMG_20211224_102050

Ford has red R for Racing, we decided to red out the C for Connor.

Ford Bronco Heal'n thru Wheel'n : Bronco Build Tribute to Lost Son IMG_20211224_103011

Carbon fiber for a beefy protected look.

Ford Bronco Heal'n thru Wheel'n : Bronco Build Tribute to Lost Son IMG_20211224_103026

Carbon fiber hood.

Ford Bronco Heal'n thru Wheel'n : Bronco Build Tribute to Lost Son IMG_20211224_103126

Powder coated beauty rings and racing profile.

Ford Bronco Heal'n thru Wheel'n : Bronco Build Tribute to Lost Son IMG_20211224_103351

Bri laying with her Daddy's rig.

Just hope we can bring hope and healing for others as we try to do the same for ourselves. Thank you @Ford Motor Company and Bronco6g. Looking forward to many travels and meeting everyone we can.

Bill
Sponsored

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For knowing some of your story for well over a year now, despite the circumstances of it all, Iā€™m glad you finally have the ā€œfinishedā€ project in your hands. It looks great and I hope you and your wife get a great deal of enjoyment from it (Not to mention your mission of helping others is great.) I know weā€™re in different parts of Texas but Iā€™ll be sure to track you down if I ever see that Bronco out and about!

RednWhite89

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great! Hope we cross paths one day. Best wishes on your journey.

MOON

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's great what you are planning to do to honor his memory and help others along the way. Would love to cross paths someday on the trail or on the road and buy you a beer or coffee. Best of luck with your adventure!

Sponsored

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes about to you as only a parent that has suffered thru the loss of a child can relate and empathize. Connor sounds like a great kid and Iā€™m proud of you for mustering up the courage to honor him as youā€™re doing.
I lost my 35 year old son, Brent, to Covid just a couple months ago. He left behind a 2 year old daughter and his wife will deliver his Son in April. I feel your pain and complete devastation.
My son had a 7/14/20 reservation for a Race Red 4dr BD, but cancelled his order and decided to keep his Escape in preparation for the larger family and a new mortgage. When Brent got sick, I changed my 7/13/20 reservation 2dr BL Area 51 order to Race Red in honor of him and his battle. I told him it was going to be his rig anyways some day, so I might as well get it in the color he wanted. He was a great young man that loved shooting sports and hockeyā€¦.especially his beloved Red Wings.
When he passed I had my dealership code 99 my order as my heart was no longer in it. But wouldnā€™t you know, after a first 10 minute reservation and waiting over 15 months, my Bronco was scheduled the following week after the dealership screwed up and left it as a priority 10. Itā€™s scheduled the week of 1/17.
And I feel a Race Red ā€œBā€ is in the future on that Race Red WTā€™ grill.
thank you for the inspiration.

Last edited:

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Words are inadequate, but I am so sorry for your loss. It is great that you have been channeling your grief in a way that will help others through their pain and loss - outstanding! I have found that time doesn't heal all wounds, but it does make them bearable. I hope and pray, in time, life will be a little more bearable for you and your family.

Also, I like what you've done with Connor's Bronco; it looks sharp!

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am so sorry for your loss. My heat goes about to you as only a parent that has suffered thru the loss of a child can relate and empathize. Connor sounds like a great kid and Iā€™m proud of you for mustering up the courage to honor him as youā€™re doing.
I lost my 35 year old son, Brent, to Covid just a couple months ago. He left behind a 2 year old daughter and his wife will deliver his Son in April. I feel your pain and complete devastation.
My son had a 7/14/20 reservation for a Race Red 4dr BD, but cancelled his order and decided to keep his Escape in preparation for the larger family and a new mortgage. When Brent got sick, I changed my 7/13/20 reservation 2dr BL Area 51 order to Race Red in honor of him and his battle. I told him it was going to be his rig anyways some day, so I might as well get it in the color he wanted. He was a great young man that loved shooting sports and hockeyā€¦.especially his beloved Red Wings.
When he passed I had my dealership code 99 my order as my heart was no longer in it. But wouldnā€™t you know, after a first 10 minute reservation and waiting over 15 months, my Bronco was scheduled the following week after the dealership screwed up and left it as a priority 10. Itā€™s scheduled the week of 1/17.
And I feel a Race Red ā€œBā€ is in the future on that Race Red WTā€™ grill.
thank you for the inspiration.
I am sorry for you loss. As I said the Bill, words are inadequate. It is an odd turn of events with your Bronco order. I am glad you're keeping the order. This way you can share your son's passion with his children, and take them on some great adventures in the years to come.

Sponsored

cazimi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Razorback Bill, thanks for the update here. I'll be looking for Connor's rig as we make our way out into the world.

@WyoBronc my thoughts are with your family as well; I hope the Bronco will be one small way to keep your son's memory fresh to create new adventures with your grandchildren.

West1

Base
First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base with OBX wheels
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sorry for your loss. This must be a difficult time for you. The Bronco and ā€œHealā€™n thru Wheelā€™nā€ seems like a fitting tribute. I wish you all the best and hope you find some measure of ā€œhealā€™nā€ in the future.

NurseA.J

Outer Banks
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outerbanks Sasquatch Lux 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Razorback and @WyoBronc my sincere love to you both. I cannot imagine the pain your families have been through. My friend lost her beautiful 14 yr old daughter to suicide 2 yrs ago. We had lived across the street from them and Maddie would peer out the window plotting her kidnap strategy for my 2 Maltipoo puppies šŸ˜‚. I was crushed and still donā€™t understand why sheā€™s gone. She is never far away in my mind.

I respect the way youā€™re continuing Connor and Brents legacy. Truly inspirational. I look forward to seeing the things that come from your new adventures. Life is short. May we continue to love and live life. ā¤

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What a beautiful tribute! I canā€™t imagine going through what you have gone through, but as a parent itā€™s a nightmare that is never far from my mind. You seem to be handling it in as productive and healthy a way possible. Thanks for sharing this!
Sponsored