Sponsored

Heated Leather Wheel - Any Way to Add After Delivery?

Greg Davis

Base
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Base
First off - no, I don't want to upgrade my package.:) I have a base Sasquatch on order and have a contact at an interior shop that will add heated seats. My big question is .........is there a viable way to have a leather heated wheel (OEM parts) added? Is the correct wiring there from the factory and would it just be a case of installing the parts and then telling the computer that is now there? I have poor circulation in my hands so this would be a big help.
Sponsored

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I asked this same question in the Michigan Bronco Club forum. The solution offered was an after market steering wheel cover purchased on Amazon. I have yet to pursue it any further because that's not the solution I want. It seems to me it's a simple software upgrade. It's not like there's a separate steering wheel for those that get the heated variety, right?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not like there's a separate steering wheel for those that get the heated variety, right?
I'm sure it is. We'd need somebody like @flip to get part numbers.

I wouldn't mind having a heated wheel but not enough to pay for Lux.

Squatchit

Badlands
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 3500, 2020 R1250GS, 2006 Volvo V50 T5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really want to see this thread develop! I got a badlands mid package and the only damn thing I wanted from the lux was that damn heated steering wheel! There has to be a way without spending 4.5k. I never had one and good lord that sounds nice. 🙃

Sponsored

Ukon

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

First off - no, I don't want to upgrade my package.:) I have a base Sasquatch on order and have a contact at an interior shop that will add heated seats. My big question is .........is there a viable way to have a leather heated wheel (OEM parts) added? Is the correct wiring there from the factory and would it just be a case of installing the parts and then telling the computer that is now there? I have poor circulation in my hands so this would be a big help.
C’mon man!
You're in NC, what the hell do you need a heated steering wheel for?

OP
OP

Greg Davis

Base
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Base
C’mon man!
You're in NC, what the hell do you need a heated steering wheel for?
I need it for any of our mornings where the temp starts with a 1, 2, or 3. :) And yes, in Charlotte we get those quite regularly in Dec - Feb.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use the heated steering wheel in my wife’s LR4 sometimes even in FL with the AC on……it’s therapeutic for the DJD of my hands…..and it is NIIIIICE!

Largely why I went LUX on my BL order.

Last edited:

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i could figure this out. i've done replacement wheels for Porsches a dozen times with various module modifcations both hardware and software. i'm also interested in this same swap so im motivated. no bronco in hand yet though.

hardware will likely be straightforward. software will be more challenging but not impossible.

first question.... how does one turn on the heated steering wheel? is it initiated by a switch or software on a screen?

Sponsored

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I contacted Village Ford in Dearborn (where we took delivery) and was connected with Kim in the accessories department. She's been with the dealership for 25 years and she's very interested in finding the answer to this question. She said she'd call me back after doing some digging. Hopefully we have an answer by the end of the day.

Last edited:

imaginager

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From what I've seen, the heated steering wheel is activated via a button on the center dash to the left of the heated seat button.

Wamland

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes it’s a button and it’s lukewarm at best. IMO

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since it's a button on the dash, you'll likely need both the steering wheel and a new dash module that contains the button and circuit on the module's PCB. Fingers crossed the circuit path is already in the harnesses that connect whatever CAN BUS system is used to connect the heating element through the clock spring to the dash module's button input. If not, we'll need to run bespoke wiring which is a huge PITA and not worth the effort in this case IMO.

Moonmedic

Big Bend
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I contacted Village Ford in Dearborn (where we took delivery) and was connected with Kim in the accessories department. She's been with the dealership for 25 years and she's very interested in finding the answer to this question. She said she'd call me back after doing some digging. Hopefully we have an answer by the end of the day.
Did you ever get a response? I was just starting to look into this
Sponsored