Sponsored

Heavly modify Bronco for extreme off road or just buy an extreme (high end) off road UTV and use Bronco to tow UTV to trail head?

Modify Bronco or put that $ into UTV

• Total voters

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Title pretty much says it all...

Update... I'd rather beat-up/scratch up a UTV than my future Bronco.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bronco-ocnorB

Big Bend
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would check the scales on your trailer & UTV set up first to see how it aligns with the tow capacity on the bronco.....might be your answer.

OP
OP
NachoMama

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would check the scales on your trailer & UTV set up first to see how it aligns with the tow capacity on the bronco.....might be your answer.
2 seat UTV with trailer should be no prob. 4 seat utv and trailer might be pushing it

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on what you consider extreme terrain? I don't consider the Rubicon or Moab extreme terrain. Any place where I'm going to scratch paint, smash fenders....that's what I would consider extreme terrain.

OP
OP
NachoMama

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Depends on what you consider extreme terrain? I don't consider the Rubicon or Moab extreme terrain. Any place where I'm going to scratch paint, smash fenders....that's what I would consider extreme terrain.
I agree and would rather scratch up/beat-up a UTV vs. my future Bronco.

Also, not referring so much to extreme terrain but, extreme as in high end (top of the line) UTV's that are crazy capable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yeah, what type of terrain are you talking about? I'd ask the question differently, do you want to modify the crap out or your Bronco or Jeep or buy a rock buggy?

Depends on your perspective and where you plan to go. Since you asked the question, please tell us what is your meaning of extreme.

OP
OP
NachoMama

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, what type of terrain are you talking about? I'd ask the question differently, do you want to modify the crap out or your Bronco or Jeep or buy a rock buggy?

Depends on your perspective and where you plan to go. Since you asked the question, please tell us what is your meaning of extreme.
Extreme as in investing $10K - 15k into your Bronco for off roading or invest that money into a very capable/high end (extreme) UTV.

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a very capable built Jeep that I don't mind beating up, and my buddy has a slightly modified Can-Am Maverick.
My Jeep is every bit as capable as my Bronco will be, but still doesn't hold a candle to the Maverick. The Maverick can go very fast through very rough terrain, as well as being competent as a rock crawler, especially after he got some 33" tires for it.
We have done 140 mph OFF ROAD in that thing. If the Bronco would even go that fast, it would destroy itself doing it off road.
If you have to do extreme off road stuff, I'd buy a used 3/4 ton pickup and a Maverick, and don't even waste time with the Bronco.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Extreme as in investing $10K - 15k into your Bronco for off roading or invest that money into a very capable/high end (extreme) UTV.

So, you're talking about an extreme vehicle. Still haven't said what kind of terrain. I think the answer to your question is which one would you rather have. It's comparing apples and oranges. Do you want a driver, do you want to tow it behind your RV, do you want to do trails that you need to drive to. Do you want a very capable car that you can do tough trails in, but also want to be able to drive to trail runs with your friends or club. If so, modify a Bronco. If you only want to have a great time on trails, be able to haul ass when you want to, don't need to drive it to trails or do loop trails, and don't need or want it as a driver, don't want to drive on the road to cool places and trails, then get a UTV.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have 4 wheelers to ride those trails, besides I am not worried about scratching my Bronco. I can remove the top. I can remove the doors. I can remove the fenders and quarters so there is not much left to scratch. I don't care if I scratch the underside.

'Aint gonna bother me one bit. WHEEL IT !! It was made in the Wild, for the Wild.

Suke996

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition (Reservation)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

UTV and trailer is the safer bet. If you're going to beat the Bronco in extreme off roading, have a plan on getting it home when you beat it death and break something. With the utv, you just need to limp it back to the trailer.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a very capable built Jeep that I don't mind beating up, and my buddy has a slightly modified Can-Am Maverick.
My Jeep is every bit as capable as my Bronco will be, but still doesn't hold a candle to the Maverick. The Maverick can go very fast through very rough terrain, as well as being competent as a rock crawler, especially after he got some 33" tires for it.
We have done 140 mph OFF ROAD in that thing. If the Bronco would even go that fast, it would destroy itself doing it off road.
If you have to do extreme off road stuff, I'd buy a used 3/4 ton pickup and a Maverick, and don't even waste time with the Bronco.
140mph???

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
140mph???
No, it was actually only like 110. But It was awesome and terrifying.
If you'd like, there are youtube videos of his model doing it. There is a speedometer in the dash. I don't care if it was accurate or "was actually 106.3 mph" it was fucking FAST.
And not nearly as bumpy and out of control feeling as you'd think.
Can-Am Maverick XD3S, I think?
His has been upgraded and tuned a bit, I think his was a 170hp model stock and now he's over 200hp.

Mikesmallcrawler21

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 F150 screw
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2 seat UTV with trailer should be no prob. 4 seat utv and trailer might be pushing it
With the price of a highly optioned can am maverick 1000 turbo , and then having to buy windshield, doors, radi, tires, the list is endless. Your at 35,000 plus, depends on. Which one u would mind seeing scratches, tears, mud, etc all over it.
Sponsored