Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jeep-sales-are-in-the-breakdown-lane-11567613567

The article claims they ramped up production too much. Some of the numbers they use sound off also, such as 20% of new Heeps on the lot are unsold 2018 models.

.... or is it market saturation on capable utility vehicles. I Had four random Heeps lined up at a stop light yesterday morning on the way to work. Wtf.
Sponsored

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have no idea what the reasoning is for everybody else, I can only explain why I personally don’t own a 2019 wrangler Rubicon 2 door right now.
Constant unrelenting price increases throughout 2018. I was waiting to get a 2nd model year unit so some bugs could be sorted and it seemed like every other week they had price increases the entire year. Destination fees from to $1095 to $1295 then to $1495, base MSRP from $35k to $36, then to $37k, here we Are now at $38k Infotainment group $1295 to $1495 to $1595. Tow group $495 to $795, leather seating, led lighting, floor mats and on and on and on! Every option I wanted in my Jeep and the base msrp of the Jeep itself increased multiple times within just a few months!
Pissed me off so bad that Jeep (fca) would just keep increasing the price for no other reason Than the fact that they could. I just said screw them bastards, I’m a Chevy guy but I’d rather put a Ford in my garage than to pay those unrealistic prices for a 4x4 toy to put in my garage of all things. So here I am.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With no real competition they could keep inflating prices and people kept taking it. With other new options in similar segments, like the ZR2 or the Gladiator, upcoming theoretical Bronco, I'm sure some held off.

Sales were up in 2018 with two different models being produced and 240k units sold, but it would seem they still overproduced. Perhaps this glut of inventory was intentional as a way to compete with the Bronco on price and availability, or maybe they just overestimated potential sales.

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have no idea what the reasoning is for everybody else, I can only explain why I personally don’t own a 2019 wrangler Rubicon 2 door right now.
Constant unrelenting price increases throughout 2018. I was waiting to get a 2nd model year unit so some bugs could be sorted and it seemed like every other week they had price increases the entire year. Destination fees from to $1095 to $1295 then to $1495, base MSRP from $35k to $36, then to $37k, here we Are now at $38k Infotainment group $1295 to $1495 to $1595. Tow group $495 to $795, leather seating, led lighting, floor mats and on and on and on! Every option I wanted in my Jeep and the base msrp of the Jeep itself increased multiple times within just a few months!
Pissed me off so bad that Jeep (fca) would just keep increasing the price for no other reason Than the fact that they could. I just said screw them bastards, I’m a Chevy guy but I’d rather put a Ford in my garage than to pay those unrealistic prices for a 4x4 toy to put in my garage of all things. So here I am.
Ever increasing prices may be another resound for the glut of Jeeps. A good way to kill sales is to keep raising the price.

Guidr3

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wait Till All Those Jeep Owners Ask Ford Dealers What They’ll Give Them On A Trade Response Your Joking Right?

Sponsored

Stangnut

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not everyone likes the looks of the jeep. Both the JK & the JL are ugly as hell and WAY, WAY, WAY too big. I'd love to have another jeep, (Wrangler, of course) but I won't even consider one until they go back to a reasonable size. If they're trying to appeal to the soccer moms that want more room they should just make a larger model to compete with the Bronco and go back to making the Wrangler the size of a CJ-7, YJ. or TJ.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not everyone likes the looks of the jeep. Both the JK & the JL are ugly as hell and WAY, WAY, WAY too big. I'd love to have another jeep, (Wrangler, of course) but I won't even consider one until they go back to a reasonable size. If they're trying to appeal to the soccer moms that want more room they should just make a larger model to compete with the Bronco and go back to making the Wrangler the size of a CJ-7, YJ. or TJ.
Check out the Mahindra Roxor, sweet little truck that sounds like just what you want, though you may want to swap that little 2.0 diesel for a V8? (I'd keep it diesel/utilitarian personally). This of course doesn't fix the style problem, though you are admittedly in the minority there.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... the JK & the JL are ugly as hell and WAY, WAY, WAY too big. I'd love to have another jeep, (Wrangler, of course) but I won't even consider one until they go back to a reasonable size......
I doubt it will be getting smaller. They're more likely to add another model or butch up one of the little crossovers to be more like the Samurai/Jimny as a fighter against Ford's "yet to be named small rugged off road utility".

That's assuming either one of Ford's new models poses a competitive threat for Jeep and they bother to respond.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is not a truck. It’s also not street legal. Not sure he wants a vehicle he has to trailer everywhere.
That's the joke lol (truck is used casually here) Aside from the obvious point that Americans don't want such small vehicles anyway, more importantly such vehicles don't meet the plethora of required safety requirements over here (not to mention emissions). The US market is a tough playground, for example the Suzuki Jimney (in out other thread) was intended for the US as well, I love the little thing but it got eviscerated by early reviews and probably would not have aged well in the public eye regarding safety and overall practicality. This is irrelevant from how undisputedly cool, simple and original it is.

I respect that people have different preferences and interests but the idea that the current JL or previous JK are bloated gargantuans of the American SUV market is largely unpopular. Most on here would actually prefer a slightly larger profile. Further, and perhaps more importantly I am pointing out that the Roxor represents the past, small cars/trucks have small application today, they simply are not safe in a market with high speed limits and heavy cars (and value of human life). The JK/JL grew not only in response to consumer preference but by requirement for safety.

I still think the Roxor is cool, and anyone is entitled to want vehicles of different sizes.
(There is also a lesson to be learned regarding SFA vs IFS in the modern world, see Roxor vs Razor for example, but that's really going off the rails) ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: