Sponsored

Hellacious mirror whistle -- simple FIX = RTV silicone!

Blue32

Big Bend
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey all! So here's a super simple fix to the obnoxious whistle coming from the driver's side mirror-- which admittedly took me some time to pinpoint. I'm sure there's a handful of other fixes out there, but this worked for me.

Run some RTV along the seam. I ran some painter's tape along the outside of the mirror just to keep a clean line, but otherwise it's just that simple. Whistle gone.

Hope this helps.
Cheers! 🍻

IMG_0357.jpeg

IMG_0358.jpeg
Sponsored

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I happen to have some RTV in the garage, will be trying this tonight. Did the rtv want to stick to the tape when u removed it, or did u run a blade across the edge before removing tape?

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Genius & simple fix @Blue32 Am I the only lucky guy who doesn’t have whistling mirrors?

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think the whistle was dependent upon trim level, not sure though. The trims with the cameras or zone lighting in the mirrors may not have the whistle.

I think there was also some whistling on some vehicles from the front of the hood

OP
OP
Blue32

Blue32

Big Bend
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I happen to have some RTV in the garage, will be trying this tonight. Did the rtv want to stick to the tape when u removed it, or did u run a blade across the edge before removing tape?
Nope, no sticking. I just ran a small bead and then smoothed it over with my finger, pressing it into the crack. I pulled the tape immediately- last pic was fresh RTV before it cured.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Blue32

Blue32

Big Bend
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Genius & simple fix @Blue32 Am I the only lucky guy who doesn’t have whistling mirrors?
I think the whistle was dependent upon trim level, not sure though. The trims with the cameras or zone lighting in the mirrors may not have the whistle.

I think there was also some whistling on some vehicles from the front of the hood
I think you're correct. I have a BB without cameras and lighting, and it's loud! ...or was, rather. 💪

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine whistles above 80 MPH, especially with a cross wind. Not sure if it’s mirrors or the ditch lights. Badsquatch with Lux.

OP did it go away if you folded the mirrors in at speed?

OP
OP
Blue32

Blue32

Big Bend
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Mine whistles above 80 MPH, especially with a cross wind. Not sure if it’s mirrors or the ditch lights. Badsquatch with Lux.

OP did it go away if you folded the mirrors in at speed?
Yes, It did go away when I folded the mirror in and when I placed my hand along the outside, which ultimately led me to the root of the problem. My whistling started around 30/40mph. The good news is this fix completely eliminated the mirror whistle.

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dubular!

Sponsored

Hornet

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey all! So here's a super simple fix to the obnoxious whistle coming from the driver's side mirror-- which admittedly took me some time to pinpoint. I'm sure there's a handful of other fixes out there, but this worked for me.

Run some RTV along the seam. I ran some painter's tape along the outside of the mirror just to keep a clean line, but otherwise it's just that simple. Whistle gone.

Hope this helps.
Cheers! 🍻

IMG_0357.jpeg

IMG_0358.jpeg
New BB owner. The wind noise drivers side mirror still an issue. The seam on the edge as pictured in other posts is the issue. You can feel the edge with your hand. Filling the crack or covering with electrical tape will fix it. I filled the crack with black flex seal. Can't see it unless you're looking for it.

Last edited:

kyle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My big bend 2dr whistles... I'll try it out. The whistle though sounds more behind or above my head on the MIC top. If your post fixes it I'll send you some Mcdonalds.

OP
OP
Blue32

Blue32

Big Bend
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My big bend 2dr whistles... I'll try it out. The whistle though sounds more behind or above my head on the MIC top. If your post fixes it I'll send you some Mcdonalds.
I thought the same thing. I started with some adhesive foam in the front seams on the MIC, and it didn't help. The roof rack rails also make some noise if you have those, but that also wasn't the culprit. Give it a try and report back. My whistle went from 100 to 0 with this fix. Good luck! 🎶🎶🎶

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2007 Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So far, I have not had any complaints about whistling mirrors or wind noise with my soft-top. I have a 2021 Badlands 4-door with steel modular bumper. If there is a strong side wind coming off the farm fields, then it can get a little noisy, but that's not unique to the Bronco.
Sponsored