Mark
Reaction score
Website
HotheadHeadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler & Jeep Gladiator
Bronco
Wildtrak
You might get an influx of visitors to this thread with the recent post of pictures of Ford's sound deadoning material. Someone referenced you guys in that thread so that's how I got here.

Anyways, the pictures make it look like thin felt/carpet cut with scissors without a straight edge. I'm curious if you've seen the post and what your initial thoughts are about it?

Either way, before tonight I just assumed I would get the OEM sound deadoning package as a no-brainer. After tonight, I'm convinced not to! I'm in the military and will potentially be moving to Mountain Home Air Force Base next year, right in your back yard! I might just have to buy local ?
We've been paying close attention to this forum for a couple months.

My initial thoughts on the OEM version? I feel like they were initial prototypes and will probably be updated to look better, especially since many forum members have pointed out some of the imperfections. Having said that, I don't believe they will have the same materials that will produce the same, great benefits our headliners do.

Thanks for your service as well!

-Mark
Advertisement

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Bronco
Black Diamond
Like to buy local so definitely interested in your product. Have a 7/14 res for a 4 door and since I am just down the road (Nampa), if you need a pattern rig, let me know. Thanks.

Rick Astley

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-stroke unicycle
Bronco
Badlands
We do need to be realistic here thought, the Hothead Headliner is a thin sheet of pressboard with an aluminum layer glued down on the inside, and speakerbox carpet glued over the outside.

It will certainly provide some benefit. But it's a stiff piece of pressboard so the coverage isn't great and when push comes to shove, it's an aluminum layer over essentially a door card.

This material has been in use for custom interior upholstery for over 70 years. It works, it's light weight and easy to work with.

But a substantial insulator or magic wonder product it isn't. Sure it will work better than the factory felt (assuming you don't simply adhere a thermal layer to the roof panel, then apply the factory felt over that....)

qw3ujfgg7ndz[1].jpg

Factory felt:
**images removed from the thread by moderators**

Full disclosure: Information on Hotheads Headliner construction taken from their website:

https://hotheadheadliners.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvYLutsOI7gIVQ45bCh1Z9wKPEAAYASAAEgKXw_D_BwE

qw3ujfgg7ndz[1].jpg

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 GC Trailhawk, ‘05 LJ, ‘17 F150 3.5 Screw
Bronco
Badlands
We do need to be realistic here thought, the Hothead Headliner is a thin sheet of pressboard with an aluminum layer glued down on the inside, and speakerbox carpet glued over the outside.

It will certainly provide some benefit. But it's a stiff piece of pressboard so the coverage isn't great and when push comes to shove, it's an aluminum layer over essentially a door card.

This material has been in use for custom interior upholstery for over 70 years. It works, it's light weight and easy to work with.

But a substantial insulator or magic wonder product it isn't. Sure it will work better than the factory felt (assuming you don't simply adhere a thermal layer to the roof panel, then apply the factory felt over that....)

qw3ujfgg7ndz[1].jpg

Factory felt:

Full disclosure: Information on Hotheads Headliner construction taken from their website:

https://hotheadheadliners.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvYLutsOI7gIVQ45bCh1Z9wKPEAAYASAAEgKXw_D_BwE

qw3ujfgg7ndz[1].jpg
which is why I completely gutted my wrangler including the dash and door panels and lined everything with a dynamat-similar product, then a layer of closed cell foam, finished off with a layer mass loaded vinyl prior to reassembling and laying the carpet back down.

I did this for 2 reasons...
I did a tummy tuck, tucking my tcase and transmission up higher so the skid plate is flush with the frame, so I wanted to quiet those components under the tub and block as much heat as I could since the transmission is less than a 1/2' from the tub tunnel.

Rick Astley

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-stroke unicycle
Bronco
Badlands
I did a tummy tuck, tucking my tcase and transmission up higher so the skid plate is flush with the frame...
That sort of tucking is gender reassignment, not tummy tuck. :ROFLMAO:

jokes aside: Sounds like a big undertaking, and one that probably made the vehicle awesome!

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Taurus SEL
Bronco
Outer Banks

qw3ujfgg7ndz[1].jpg

Factory felt:

qw3ujfgg7ndz[1].jpg
My momma always told me, if you are going to complain about something, then try to figure out how to make it better. ;-)

Rick Astley

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-stroke unicycle
Bronco
Badlands
My momma always told me, if you are going to complain about something, then try to figure out how to make it better. ;-)
I've already been speaking with a few friends who are materials engineers at Boeing about how to properly insulate each roof panel at a specific budget (less windows & Latches)....

No, I have no interest in producing anything for anybody else or even helping others with their projects locally. Hothead Headliners has a good business and will serve many people very well. I have my own business that's not related to the automotive sector in any way.

Advertisement

BuiltRight
Advertisement