RookieMissSteak

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep GC, 2021 Jeep JTR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello everyone! I’ve been lurking for awhile, but wanted to say Hello! I’ve got a July 15 reservation that I converted to an order for an OB, and then promptly decided I really wanted a BL.
And now here I am, planning on changing my order tomorrow, and still trying to decide to squatch or not to squatch, 2.3 or 2.7, AMB or velocity blue, etc. Gonna be a long night! Thinking maybe some coffee followed by some whiskey, will get me in the best mindset to make decisions! Will they be decisions I regret... Maybe! But they’ll be made at least! The only thing I know for sure is 2-door.

if anyone has any recommendations for a rookie, I’d be happy to receive em. I am completely in love with the beefy lifted Broncos i keep seeing pictures of, but this will be my daily driver, and I do a road trip to southern MO once a year, so not sure about going bigger than 33s. We live rural, get a decent amount of snow and ice every year, and have about 30 acres of woods I want to try and play in. Going by the How Extreme Are You thread, our driveways already at a 4, at least in the Spring after the snow washes it out a bit. There’s an old, slightly overgrown logging road through part of our woods where I figure I’ll start. I dunno what I’m doing, so I figure I’ll take it slow and just start creeping through it and cutting down the baby pine trees that are in the way, until I get a decent trail going. My husband is nyc-raised and thinks I’m nuts, so I’ll be doing most of this on my own for stress-release/fun. I figure I’ll try and find some people around me that off-road too, so I can learn what I’m doing. Pretty damn exciting!
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford designed each one around possibly having 35s. They should all be perfectly suited for DD duty.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it’s a budget thing, don’t overextend yourself for Sasquatch or the 2.7 on the two door. The 2.3 is perfectly acceptable for a four door with Sasquatch so you know you’ll have more than enough power!

I went Sasquatch mostly for gearing and I daily a Jeep on 35’s already so there’s not much of a transition for me. Have you driven any lifted Wranglers before? The Bronco will likely (almost certainly) drive better and feel better, but you can get an idea of road noise and the feeling of being that high in the air from a Jeep.

33’s are an awesome starting point and probably every trail you will be on for at least the first few years won’t require anything larger.

The way I see it, if you like and can afford it, go for it! Load that puppy up with options. If you can’t, don’t sweat it because a bone stock Badlands is no slouch!

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're looking at a Badlands, then Squatch is just really a minor decision to be made.

Badlands is already 98% Squatched already, it has all the good heavy duty driveline parts of Squatch....that's my draw towards a Squatch or Badlands....the stuff that is huge $$$$ or a wild pain to upgrade.

The 33's are perfect for a rig this size ...35's are NOT overkill either, just a slightly different look.

Really only two/three major decisions for hard parts.
2.3 or 2.7?
manual or auto?
Do you need the 4.7 gearing of the Squatch? (which only applies if you are getting the auto, the manual 4cyl keeps the 4.7 gears)

The worst/toughest decision is between AMB or VB, which is exactly where I found myself.

My build = 2dr Base, Antimatter Blue, 4cyl manual, but I opted for all the bumpers, skids, floor/cargo liners , bikini top etc etc.

I passed on Squatch to retain the manual and an early delivery(hopefully). Tired of waiting since 2016.
I'll add 33's or 34's with wheels soon after , possibly at delivery.
If manual and Mid had been an option, I may have jumped up to Big Bend....but it was not to be....this year. LOL

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To me your decision lies on having a manual, or auto, with the 2.3 or the automatic with the 2.7. I'm going BL, 2-door as well but going with the 2.7 because of upward weight scalability. I don't know what I might add onto her (37s, heavier bumpers, body armor) and want to make sure I don't overtax the engine. I also like some of the features that come with the 2.7 you can't get with a manual (trail turn assist, one pedal drive and one other that escapes me at the moment).
Sasquatch gearing on 35s, also scalable for 37s.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RookieMissSteak

RookieMissSteak

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep GC, 2021 Jeep JTR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thanks everybody for the info and advice! I really appreciate it! I’m starting to get the idea that no matter which way I go, it’s gonna be a lot of fun. I probably should have mentioned I’m gonna go auto instead of manual. My first two cars were manuals, but it’s been awhile! Also I figure I’ll probably be letting other people take it for a spin sometimes, so an auto makes that easier.

Have you driven any lifted Wranglers before?
Only a few times on trails, so I wasn’t sure what to expect in terms of daily highway driving and road trips. I’ve ridden passenger on the highway though and wasn’t ever uncomfortable, but that’s a different ballgame.

If you're looking at a Badlands, then Squatch is just really a minor decision to be made.

Badlands is already 98% Squatched already, it has all the good heavy duty driveline parts of Squatch....that's my draw towards a Squatch or Badlands....the stuff that is huge $$$$ or a wild pain to upgrade.
I think not knowing what is a pain to upgrade is one of my biggest weaknesses right now. Makes it difficult to prioritize. Thanks everybody for helping me sort it out. I’ll get there eventually, and most likely realize within a couple of months of having the Bronco that I shoulda done something different, but hey, gotta learn somehow right?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With any Badlands, your skill will be the limiting factor in your off road adventures for quite a while. It will probably be one of the most capable stock vehicles, off road, ever built. On par with the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Defender 90. By the time your skill exceeds the Broncos capabilities, you will know what options or changes to make. Sounds like fun, you are on a good path!
Sponsored

Last edited: