Sponsored

HELP! 100+ degrees and soft top latch is stuck!

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wondering if anyone who has operated the soft top to the full down position has run into trouble pushing down and releasing the grey, driver’s side latch so the soft top can be raised back into place. I had no trouble taking it down two weeks ago, but in AZ we are hitting triple digits and it’s time to put the top back up. The Velcro straps are removed and back in the glove box. The darn latch just won’t budge! I’ve tried shifting the top around, pushing it firmly back down into place, adjusting what I can see…but nothing. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

time for the BFH

OP
OP
AZ_BRONC

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Aztec1382

Base
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Cut out a sunroof with a knife

Lambert87

Base
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 f250, 71 Super beetle, 05 F150, 22 bronco sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Don't know if you figured it out or not but yes, the first time going back up I fought those grey latches, the manuals all said it will just click back down, it didn't for me, I had to keep wiggling both sides and finally watched where they cought and manually lifted the grey handle and the driver's side clicked and then the passenger side.
Its just new and the seals are all tight, common issue on the massive convertible tops.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZ_BRONC

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Don't know if you figured it out or not but yes, the first time going back up I fought those grey latches, the manuals all said it will just click back down, it didn't for me, I had to keep wiggling both sides and finally watched where they cought and manually lifted the grey handle and the driver's side clicked and then the passenger side.
Its just new and the seals are all tight, common issue on the massive convertible tops.
I’ve jiggled and adjusted for a half hour and the latch won’t budge, keeping the top locked down. Have had Wranglers, older Broncos, and now have three convertibles in the garage and never had an issue like this.

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Happens to me sometimes. Just forward of the gray latch, push the whole roof apparatus downward while simultaneously pushing the gray latch. After you do it once, it’s a piece of cake thereafter.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The grey handle unlatches both sides at once. If you haven’t already tried this, have someone help you, amd both of you pull down on the sides at the same time while you pop the latch handle…

OP
OP
AZ_BRONC

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Happens to me sometimes. Just forward of the gray latch, push the whole roof apparatus downward while simultaneously pushing the gray latch. After you do it once, it’s a piece of cake thereafter.
Tried that this morning, still no dice.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZ_BRONC

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Driver’s side release latch, the only one there is (passenger doesn’t have one). All videos I’ve seen of raising the soft top requires a simple depress on this lever to unlatch and raise the top. Pushing the lever down is supposed to release the top on the driver’s side as well as pull a wire to release the passenger side as well. Every video shows the lever operating easily, with one hand, while you lift the top with the other. Mine won’t budge.

image.jpg

image.jpg

brian626

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche Boxster S, 2022 Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Maybe try to move/jiggle the wire behind the latch with your right hand while pushing the lever down With your left hand.

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Driver’s side release latch, the only one there is (passenger doesn’t have one). All videos I’ve seen of raising the soft top requires a simple depress on this lever to unlatch and raise the top. Pushing the lever down is supposed to release the top on the driver’s side as well as pull a wire to release the passenger side as well. Every video shows the lever operating easily, with one hand, while you lift the top with the other. Mine won’t budge.

image.jpg

image.jpg
I would think using some needle nose or clamping pliers on this area using the leverage of the bracket would let you pull the wire. That is also assuming it is what that lever interacts with. I haven't paid attention when using it enough to what what mechanically is suppose to happen.

Screenshot_20220520-152611_Chrome.jpg

But it's a matter of figuring out what is getting caught where.

Last edited:

Seacat

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 VW Touareg TDI R-Line
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wondering if anyone who has operated the soft top to the full down position has run into trouble pushing down and releasing the grey, driver’s side latch so the soft top can be raised back into place. I had no trouble taking it down two weeks ago, but in AZ we are hitting triple digits and it’s time to put the top back up. The Velcro straps are removed and back in the glove box. The darn latch just won’t budge! I’ve tried shifting the top around, pushing it firmly back down into place, adjusting what I can see…but nothing. Any ideas?
The cable goes to the passenger side and it's probably the passenger side latch that is jammed and won't let the cable move to release the drivers side. Go the the passenger side, lightly push down on the frame and manually release the latch, then go back to the drivers side and work that latch. I had to do this with mine to get it to release last Sunday. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Bronco23

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Same here. First time I went to put it back up I thought S--t it's stuck. After trying a couple times, I went around to the passenger side jiggled it around went back and firmly pressed on the latch and up it went. It just takes a little more effort to raise it than I thought. Now I have no issues after that first time.
Sponsored