Sponsored

HELP! 2 Door Overlander - Am I foolish to think it will work?

srotier

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 2 Door; 2017 Dodge Durango GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've searched the interwebs to find pictures or other threads on the concept of a 2 Door Overlander (Not a lot of help there). I understand the space limitations, but I'm still in lust with the look of the 2 door. I currently do not do any off-road driving, although I do ride along with friends. I am planning on starting off-roading with my Bronco and learning the ropes as I go. My question, is when I've learned how to properly and safely off-road, will my new 2 Door be able to accommodate an overlanding camping lifestyle? (1-2 Adults, if my wife decides to join) Being able to primitive camp while on the trail and move along to a new trail the next day is appealing to me. I love to set a vacation time with no destination finalized, just see how things go along the way.

I can afford a Badlands 2 Door with Mid, but the 4 Door stretches the budget too much, so I would likely need to go to a 4 Door Black Diamond with Mid and do a lift later down the road. I mentioned that I don't actually do off-roading now, am I better having fun with the 2 door and trying to make it work, kick the can down the road and look at the 4 door when I've decided that the limited space is too much to deal with? Or do I just bite the bullet and go with a 4 door now and have a great looking rig that will also accommodate my future needs?
Sponsored

ausherpharmd

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've searched the interwebs to find pictures or other threads on the concept of a 2 Door Overlander (Not a lot of help there). I understand the space limitations, but I'm still in lust with the look of the 2 door. I currently do not do any off-road driving, although I do ride along with friends. I am planning on starting off-roading with my Bronco and learning the ropes as I go. My question, is when I've learned how to properly and safely off-road, will my new 2 Door be able to accommodate an overlanding camping lifestyle? (1-2 Adults, if my wife decides to join) Being able to primitive camp while on the trail and move along to a new trail the next day is appealing to me. I love to set a vacation time with no destination finalized, just see how things go along the way.

I can afford a Badlands 2 Door with Mid, but the 4 Door stretches the budget too much, so I would likely need to go to a 4 Door Black Diamond with Mid and do a lift later down the road. I mentioned that I don't actually do off-roading now, am I better having fun with the 2 door and trying to make it work, kick the can down the road and look at the 4 door when I've decided that the limited space is too much to deal with? Or do I just bite the bullet and go with a 4 door now and have a great looking rig that will also accommodate my future needs?
I'll leave details to others that may have more advice or more experience, but I can't see why not. Whether you get a rooftop tent or use a ten on the ground, or pull a small trailer, you absolutely can with a 2dr. I will be. And I have with a 2dr jeep. You just need good planning to take what you need and plan the most efficient way to pack it.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was stuck on getting the 2 door as well. The only way I could see making it work is to pull the rear seats or tow a trailer. You can only just barely fit an ARB fridge sideways in the back of the 2 door with the rear seats up. That really doesn't leave room for anything else.

I was really going back and forth on the number of doors. Not for financial reasons but pictures make the 4 door look huge. On paper, it's only 3" longer than a stock Xterra. I was finally able to see one in person in Moab over the weekend to seal the deal. The extra 16" will be a boon for being able to set up a decent overlanding setup. I'm going to have a trailer for longer trips but for 2-3 night trips, the space in the 4 door will be welcomed.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
It sounds like you know all of the variables to make the best decision for yourself. I don't think anyone here can really help you as you can get away with camping with one other person in a 2-door obviously but it'd be more convenient with a 4-door. If you have dogs I'd say you'd almost have to get a 4-door. doesn't sound like you have kids.

Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had a four door Jeep for 7 years and I almost never use my backseat. I think a two door will be fine if you aren't doing any extended trips. I am planning to get a two door. I don't really do any overlanding, more just day trips, but I plan to use my two door to get into it. I don't plan on a roof rack unless I want to go with a roof top tent (doubtful at this point) and I am confident I will be able to fit everything I need for two adults in the back of a two door with the seats folded.

If you drive with more than one other person often, then you might want to go with the four door because climbing into the back could be a pain and it will feel cramped back there for longer distances.

Last edited:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just keep in mind that you will have roughly a 70-80 Mile range deficit over the 4-door with the 4+ gallon smaller fuel tank so plan accordingly.

rotorwrench

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R Nine T, R1200RS, Outback, Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Coming from a lifetime of motorcycle camping, A 2 door will be just fine as long as you keep the mindset of a backpacker. Go to your local outdoor supply and talk to them about minimalistic set ups. You would would be surprised by how comfortable you can be with your load out if you do it right. If you are in the Tucson area, We used to live in this place https://www.summithut.com. If in Phoenix, REI as well as others can give you some great advice.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It really depends on how much gear you intend to bring. People go backpacking for a week or more with the gear they can carry on their back. That amount of gear will easily fit in a two door. If you want an RTT, fridge, generator, multi-burner stove, chairs, other luxuries, etc, for a family of 4, even a 4 door will be short on room.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm in the same boat, want to 2-dr overland, camp... I also youtubed a bunch of '2-door overlanding), there's some out there. My plan is to remove at least one rear seat, an RTT, start with the important stuff like recovery, tools, first aid, clothes, food/kitchen. Then pack in more, may remove both rear seats. We'll see. But it can be done in a 2-door, I'm gonna make it work.

Sponsored

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was waiting for someone to post this thread. Some points that I hope can sway us both to stay with 2 door at purchase:

Less is more. Have you ever gotten so obsessed with the tangible gear for a hobby, that you spent more time researching, buying, testing new gear than ACTUALLY enjoying the hobby? I've ruined a few hobbies that way in the past, and was only able to come back to the hobby by SEVERELY cutting back on the amount of physical gear I was bringing with me. It's a mental thing that clears out the addiction issues and makes you enjoy it all again. I also just went backpacking for the first time and REALLY experienced how less is more. You can survive literally on a pack with a water filter, tiny camp stove like Pocket Rocket 2, and some dried Mountain House food for easily 3-5 days etc.

Less is more. Preparing for your weekend suddenly gets SO MUCH easier and stress free, when you have cut out HALF of the crap you never needed to prepare. Don't worry so much about charging up your gopro's, topping off your unnecessary cooler etc. I used to spend 5 hours the night before a big airsoft game, my other hobby. I'd be tired and stressed when the actual game day came around. Now I spend only 10 mins to get ready for a weekend, and I enjoy it all a lot more.

If I cannot carry all of my gear to the car in 1 trip, I have too much. That's how I treat that hobby and it's worked well.

Edit: another way to look at it, which a friend taught me is, instead of having a piece of kit to answer EVERY need, part of the fun in minimalism is improvising using the few things you do have.

Another edit: a technique I learned to get over the gear obsession which ruins your hobbies do this: you have to EARN dollars and time to spend researching new purchases. For every 1 hour of actually DOING your hobby (overlanding etc), let yourself earn $15 and 15 minutes of research time. This way lets say you go outdoors driving offroad 4 hours per weekend. You are only allowed 1 hour of internet research, and $60 to spend (in addition to gas/food/water). This keeps things in balance nicely. Those numbers are subjective of course, but you get it. After this initial massive research period is over, create a ratio for yourself to avoid the massive obsessions with gear

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Get the 2-dr and rear seat delete. Install a plate system from Goose Gear. Plenty of space for gear. Money saved from getting the 4-dr will buy plenty of gear. That gear will be more useful and make more memories than the extra 16" of cargo capacity.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dude.... You need a bit of recovery gear (depending on how wild you are getting) a handful of tools, tent, sleeping bag, stove, bowl, mug, spork, some food and some water.

You could fit that all in a one-door Bronco.

No matter what size vehicle you have you adapt.

Overlanding is just car camping. You don't need much. It doesn't need to be fancy. Just a few quality essentials and a full tank of gas and hit it.

rotorwrench

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R Nine T, R1200RS, Outback, Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Have you ever gotten so obsessed with the tangible gear for a hobby, that you spent more time researching, buying, testing new gear than ACTUALLY enjoying the hobby
Soooooo guilty. Great point

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sleeping:

I'd really love to see how far back the 2 front seats can go. Maybe we don't need a RTT after all and you can load up the roof with stuff too. I know some people that sleep in their seats like that. Another option is a hammock. Attach one end to your bronco and another to a tree. Don't need 2 trees. Look how small:

Ford Bronco HELP! 2 Door Overlander - Am I foolish to think it will work? 1604356357032

This company makes much more affordable lightweight RTT and some of theirs have racks ON TOP of the tent, so you don't lose that space. They've also stated in the comments that it will work on Bronco 2 door:

Sponsored