Sponsored

Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands?

Atomic Betty

Black Diamond
First Name
Abi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello all you Bronco buffs! I'm looking for help with my decision making. I, like many of you, have been trying to order my new Bronco since last year and hopefully will finally get a chance in a couple of weeks!! I thought I had decided on a velocity blue Black Diamond with the mid package (because I'm not going without bun-warmers up here in the frozen north! haha) but lately most of the pictures I see the wheels look undersized (like they were taken off of a teenager's Subee). Hoping it looks better in person but they are so rare up here you only see maybe one a week whizzing by even with all the ski traffic. I realize I need to leave room for articulation but it seems like there's a lot of space there! I finally test drove a Bronco after many failed attempts finding one, but it was a Wildtrack, and I believe the other Bronco I've seen in person was squatched. Since the sasquatch package will be unavailable for ordering I've been searching to see what the biggest tires are I can add, but while I am some handy I don't want to add any lift/spacer/cut out crash bars. Any help and pictures from those with more car smarts than I would be HUGELY appreciated! I am temped for the badlands because it seems to look better, but the Black Diamond already seems so expensive for my hard earned savings. My uncle the car guru keeps telling me to get a Tesla (yes the car nut drank the koolaid) but I'm a first responder so driving that up people's goat-path of a "driveway" in rural VT would be real cute - especially when all the plastic starts falling off :ROFLMAO: Thanks in advance!!!!
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The biggest you can go with zero modifications is 33s. There are multiple "33s" sizes, 275/75r17, 285/70r17, 33x10.5r17, 33x11.5r17, etc.

If you are willing to make some minor modifications (ie. remove crash bars), you can hit the narrow 35s sizes (35x10.5r17) fairly easily even with the stock wheels. The typical sizes you see out there for 35s, however, will likely require a new set of wheels.

For your reference...
  • Black Diamond: 265/70R17 (32s)
  • Badlands: 285/70r17 (33s)
  • Sasquatch: 315/70r17 (35s)

Last edited:

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Honestly I love the tires on my black diamond. It's done a great job with the (very) steep fishing banks I've crawled up and I don't like the look of larger tires. I might go 33 on the next set but probably not. I recommend seeing it in person before spending thousands of dollars extra. And the BD rims... I was researching replacements before I picked it up. Fell in Absolute Love at first sight. I'll never replace them. It's all preference.

BroncoHI

Black Diamond
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm good with my Black Diamond, but I definitely would've got a Badlands if I had a choice. The suspension is better and warrantied vs lifting my BD.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ragnar pretty much has shot you straight up above.

My base Base has 35 x 11.5 - 17's on Methods with +35mm offset. No Lift.

If you intend to flex it offroad, you'll need a lift, but in over a year of normal street driving I've not had it rub yet.

Crash bars must come off with any Bronco once you get over 33" ... although I think some folks have had no issues with the 33.8" ... 285/75-17.

There are threads where others have mounted 35x12.5 on factory wheels with +55mm offset and the only interference was at full lock , where the tire just barely kisses the sway bar.

So, if you want to play it super safe, no mods ... no larger than a 33".

Mine....
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? 1679195545351

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ragnar pretty much has shot you straight up above.

My base Base has 35 x 11.5 - 17's on Methods with +35mm offset. No Lift.

If you intend to flex it offroad, you'll need a lift, but in over a year of normal street driving I've not had it rub yet.

Crash bars must come off with any Bronco once you get over 33" ... although I think some folks have had no issues with the 33.8" ... 285/75-17.

There are threads where others have mounted 35x12.5 on factory wheels with +55mm offset and the only interference was at full lock , where the tire just barely kisses the sway bar.

So, if you want to play it super safe, no mods ... no larger than a 33".

Mine....
No issues on my Badlands non SAS with 285/75R17 on +35mm offset Methods. Still have the crash bars installed, too. This picture was fully loaded for the Off Rodeo trip to Gunstock Mountain.

Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? F210825A-4CB7-420F-A7CD-05376E1E60E5

OP
OP
Atomic Betty

Atomic Betty

Black Diamond
First Name
Abi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks SO much to all who have replied so far, super helpful!!! For the first answer I wouldn’t be opposed to getting new wheels also if that was the right choice. I’m new to this talk of tire offset too. I’m trying to balance IF I was to get new tires (& wheels?) what extra would I get on the badlands is it really with the extra 6k. It’s really nice hear people do like the look of thier black Diamond with the wheels it came with, which also makes me think I should just stick with it for now. Just trying to be smart with my options just in case the rare thing happens and the dealer dangles a nice carrot (wait how bout a cookie I don’t like carrots 😆) when I to order. Thanks again!!!!

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hello all you Bronco buffs! I'm looking for help with my decision making. I, like many of you, have been trying to order my new Bronco since last year and hopefully will finally get a chance in a couple of weeks!! I thought I had decided on a velocity blue Black Diamond with the mid package (because I'm not going without bun-warmers up here in the frozen north! haha) but lately most of the pictures I see the wheels look undersized (like they were taken off of a teenager's Subee). Hoping it looks better in person but they are so rare up here you only see maybe one a week whizzing by even with all the ski traffic. I realize I need to leave room for articulation but it seems like there's a lot of space there! I finally test drove a Bronco after many failed attempts finding one, but it was a Wildtrack, and I believe the other Bronco I've seen in person was squatched. Since the sasquatch package will be unavailable for ordering I've been searching to see what the biggest tires are I can add, but while I am some handy I don't want to add any lift/spacer/cut out crash bars. Any help and pictures from those with more car smarts than I would be HUGELY appreciated! I am temped for the badlands because it seems to look better, but the Black Diamond already seems so expensive for my hard earned savings. My uncle the car guru keeps telling me to get a Tesla (yes the car nut drank the koolaid) but I'm a first responder so driving that up people's goat-path of a "driveway" in rural VT would be real cute - especially when all the plastic starts falling off :ROFLMAO: Thanks in advance!!!!
Here is are pictures of my Black Diamond with 33s (285/70R17s). When parked next to my dad’s Squatched Base, not much difference in height between the two.

My wheels are RTR EVO 6 with +30 offset.

0B59F64F-4758-4CE9-89F6-42578C2B7DC9.jpeg

FE334647-FA1C-4C1E-88A4-D4F271CB99B6.jpeg

EFE49BD8-6B82-485D-8AEF-67AAA0525F3F.jpeg

OP
OP
Atomic Betty

Atomic Betty

Black Diamond
First Name
Abi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Super helpful, thanks! And nice wheels :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Atomic Betty

Atomic Betty

Black Diamond
First Name
Abi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
See I knew I was asking the right people, wish I had thought of it earlier instead of searching and searching, sometimes it takes a bit for a good idea to get through the blonde hair though :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Atomic Betty

Atomic Betty

Black Diamond
First Name
Abi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks. Personally, I do not like a look where the tires looks squeezed into the wheel well. So this works and looks good to me.
And I just realized finally a 4-door! (that's what I want) It was seeming like maybe that was why the others were looking better was because they were 2 door, but yours looks good too :giggle:

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Once you see the 32s in person I do think they look "right" on the BD. 33s look Ok but do look slightly stuffed. In order to have same proportions as stock Badlands with 33s you need somewhere between a 1/2"-1" lift due to Badlands having a diff suspension setup than BD. I deff wouldn't go over 33s when you consider room you need to flex/full lock. Just my .02 but it's silly to me when I see 35s on stock setups... sort of non functional other than driving on flat pavement... Which is completely counter intuitive to having 35s in the first place 🤦
Sponsored