Sponsored

Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands?

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Honestly I love the tires on my black diamond. It's done a great job with the (very) steep fishing banks I've crawled up and I don't like the look of larger tires. I might go 33 on the next set but probably not. I recommend seeing it in person before spending thousands of dollars extra. And the BD rims... I was researching replacements before I picked it up. Fell in Absolute Love at first sight. I'll never replace them. It's all preference.
I had the exact same experience. Ordered the Black Diamond for reasons, but felt like I wouldn't be happy with the tire size based on pics. As soon as it finally arrived and the sales guy pulled it around the building I fell in love. I think it's the perfect Bronco look. It's different than the rest of the Tonka trucks.
Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Black Diamond to Badlands is much more than a tire size difference. I made the jump to Badlands for the bigger front axle, front locker, sway bar disconnect, and access to the mid package for heated seats with a manual transmission. While I was there I went high package for the 12” screen and additional safety systems, I probably would’ve liked the Lux package but I didn’t know how adaptive cruise would work with the manual. My net cost difference back in 2021 was $7500 and I’m glad I spent the extra.

For most people the Base is plenty of truck, but the 4.46 gears, rear locker, and MGV interior is worth the jump to Black Diamond in my mind. With the automatic the Black Diamond and Badlands run the same 4.46 gears, in today’s constrained market the Black Diamond may get built sooner than a Badlands. The Basesquatch with the 2.7L engine for the same price as Black Diamond is looking pretty good. You can add aftermarket seat heaters for $300 with labor at a local upholstry shop.

These are all soft top 2.3L builds, add $1895 (or whatever the new price is) for the MIC top that I’d assume you’d want in VT, and $1895 for the 2.7L on all but the last one.

Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? 405ED0B0-81FE-40D0-87BD-93A54DA81FC5
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? A7A40A08-AECC-40E9-A9D9-894CD601073C
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? 46F8EB1D-8ECF-4A71-B0C0-736784083EEA
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? FBCE6AAB-8EB1-40C0-A25B-8D7B438F2FF3

OP
OP
Atomic Betty

Atomic Betty

Black Diamond
First Name
Abi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had the exact same experience. Ordered the Black Diamond for reasons, but felt like I wouldn't be happy with the tire size based on pics. As soon as it finally arrived and the sales guy pulled it around the building I fell in love. I think it's the perfect Bronco look. It's different than the rest of the Tonka trucks.
Oh good to hear that you felt the same but fell in love with it when you saw it! I'm feeling more comfortable now. I knew I couldn't go up to 35s and thought that was probably too big for my use anyways, but it seemed 33s looked a lot better which is odd since it's only an inch....

OP
OP
Atomic Betty

Atomic Betty

Black Diamond
First Name
Abi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Has anyone been watching the prices climb lately? I just looked at my printouts from a recent online build (12/10/22), same options (Just a couple of the things I saw immediately):

The hard top that had been staying at $695 is now suddenly $1,895.....!!! Is it suddenly 3x better? (And it's not like I'm getting both tops, I'm losing one...?)
Destination charges went from $1,595 to $1,795
Base price of $43,330 (4 door) is now $44,630
Options added that had been $4,085 is now $5,285
Total MSRP was $49,010 (est $833/mo) is now $51,710 (est $922/mo)????

Huh, must know the order banks are opening up and hoping nobody will notice....
I know the prices of everything is always going up, but really, I thought it was more than expensive enough before, just saying

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone been watching the prices climb lately? I just looked at my printouts from a recent online build (12/10/22), same options (Just a couple of the things I saw immediately):

The hard top that had been staying at $695 is now suddenly $1,895.....!!! Is it suddenly 3x better? (And it's not like I'm getting both tops, I'm losing one...?)
Destination charges went from $1,595 to $1,795
Base price of $43,330 (4 door) is now $44,630
Options added that had been $4,085 is now $5,285
Total MSRP was $49,010 (est $833/mo) is now $51,710 (est $922/mo)????

Huh, must know the order banks are opening up and hoping nobody will notice....
I know the prices of everything is always going up, but really, I thought it was more than expensive enough before, just saying
Mid-Year 2023 Bronco Pricing Increase Effective 3/15/23 (PL 335). Price Protection for orders before 3/15 | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

Sponsored
OP
OP
Atomic Betty

Atomic Betty

Black Diamond
First Name
Abi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks SO much to all who have replied so far, super helpful!!! For the first answer I wouldn’t be opposed to getting new wheels also if that was the right choice. I’m new to this talk of tire offset too. I’m trying to balance IF I was to get new tires (& wheels?) what extra would I get on the badlands is it really with the extra 6k. It’s really nice hear people do like the look of thier black Diamond with the wheels it came with, which also makes me think I should just stick with it for now. Just trying to be smart with my options just in case the rare thing happens and the dealer dangles a nice carrot (wait how bout a cookie I don’t like carrots 😆) when I to order. Thanks again!!!!
The BD wheel at 7.5" wide will MOST LIKELY be ok with a 315 on it.
The slightly narrower 11.5 inch tires are rated for a 7.5" wheel, so all good at that point.

Tire Rack and Tiresize.com have some great info and tools to help you understand much of the tire/wheel mystery/magic.
I think Discount has some pretty good info also, look for "education" or FAQ links on these sites.

With my very dark colored AMB Bronco, I'd like to get a set of BD wheels repainted to the Base wheel color. The 17" wheel has SOO many sizes available and the 7.5" width will fit my needs.

I'll probably drop to a 33" due to gearing issues, but man, if I could stay with 35's, these would be my next set!!

35" 255's !!!!!

https://tiresize.com/tires/Mickey-Thompson/Baja-Boss-AT-255-85R17.htm

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welcome to inflation. My Badlands 2 door 7MT high with tow was $47,100 in November 2021, now my same build is $53,410 16 months later. Unfortunately the pricing is supposed to go way up for 2024, my dealer said *drink* another $8400 on my build.

Add the higher prices to the higher interest rates and vehicles are less affordable than ever. I was thinking of upgrading in 2024 or 2025, but I think I’ll just ride the 2021 for the duration. I only put 2700 miles on in the first year, might do 5K miles this year. If it cost me $10K to upgrade 3-4 model years that would be reasonable, but not for the probably $20K it would cost.

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Black Diamond to Badlands is much more than a tire size difference. I made the jump to Badlands for the bigger front axle, front locker, sway bar disconnect, and access to the mid package for heated seats with a manual transmission. While I was there I went high package for the 12” screen and additional safety systems, I probably would’ve liked the Lux package but I didn’t know how adaptive cruise would work with the manual. My net cost difference back in 2021 was $7500 and I’m glad I spent the extra.

For most people the Base is plenty of truck, but the 4.46 gears, rear locker, and MGV interior is worth the jump to Black Diamond in my mind. With the automatic the Black Diamond and Badlands run the same 4.46 gears, in today’s constrained market the Black Diamond may get built sooner than a Badlands. The Basesquatch with the 2.7L engine for the same price as Black Diamond is looking pretty good. You can add aftermarket seat heaters for $300 with labor at a local upholstry shop.

These are all soft top 2.3L builds, add $1895 (or whatever the new price is) for the MIC top that I’d assume you’d want in VT, and $1895 for the 2.7L on all but the last one.

Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? FBCE6AAB-8EB1-40C0-A25B-8D7B438F2FF3
I feel ya. That front locker and seat bar disconnect had me on the fence for quite awhile. Finally I asked myself how often I used lockers in the past and decided for my needs (which will probably never include rocks) that I really only had to have the MGV and one (just in case 😅) locking diff.

That's an awesome thing about marriage, it's nice to have someone else just as invested but without my ego for bigger and better. Ask my '78 F150 w/ a custom port fuel injected 400. But that beast would spin all 4 of those 35's! Lol.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess it depends on application, 37x12x17 are a tad small for me, next year i'll start gathering parts for the Baja kits lift, I did the Broncbusters 3" body lift...40's will be my next set of tires I'll stay as skinny as I can though.
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? 20230312_120522

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got a BD because I felt it was the perfect value. It meets my basic needs at a price point that I feel equals it's value. Had I paid $20K more like many have, I would be very disappointed and still putting money into it to make it how I want it.

The BD is fine as is, or is a great starting point. Either way, in my mind it's where the value is, whether you leave it stock or mod the crap out of it.

If you are keeping the Hitachis, 33s are about it, but look correct. For me, the stock tires are too small, but the stock wheels are great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Atomic Betty

Atomic Betty

Black Diamond
First Name
Abi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I feel ya. That front locker and seat bar disconnect had me on the fence for quite awhile. Finally I asked myself how often I used lockers in the past and decided for my needs (which will probably never include rocks) that I really only had to have the MGV and one (just in case 😅) locking diff.

That's an awesome thing about marriage, it's nice to have someone else just as invested but without my ego for bigger and better. Ask my '78 F150 w/ a custom port fuel injected 400. But that beast would spin all 4 of those 35's! Lol.
Good for you, I'd love to have someone who enjoyed things with motors like I do! And nice "extra" truck ;) The sway bar disconnect definitely got me, it looks so cool and is one of those wait, that looks important, do I need that???? And front lockers, do I need those??? haha Besides the fact of oooh, extra goodies!

OP
OP
Atomic Betty

Atomic Betty

Black Diamond
First Name
Abi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I guess it depends on application, 37x12x17 are a tad small for me, next year i'll start gathering parts for the Baja kits lift, I did the Broncbusters 3" body lift...40's will be my next set of tires I'll stay as skinny as I can though.
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? 20230312_120522
Wow you're going for the sky! How does it handle?

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow you're going for the sky! How does it handle?
It handles the same as before, it is only 4.5" taller than it was, Once the rock monster wheels arrive I'll be able to drop the tires to 2psi, then the 37's are magically 34's... Once the wheels arrive I will go back to the GY tires for street and forrest applications. The 40's once I get to that (probably over a year out with regearing to 5.38, hoping they release a real way to put in the HOSS3.0 steering or a better aftermarket the kit and the tires...$$$$$$) I'll air down and have a height of 36, or 37.... I bought mine as a general purpose off roader with a rock crawl slant, I know that this is not most peoples application.
This was 3.18 two months and 8 days after receiving it.
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? 20230318_131356
This was 2.28
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? 20230225_124314
4 Days after receiving it
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? 20230114_103751
My other labor of love, still a long way to go on this one
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? 20200514_163114

BodhiMac

Black Diamond
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here is my BD on 33's (285/70/17) and -10 offset wheels.

I did install the 4WP Big Tire Crash Bars to alleviate any rubbing with the offset. Probably didn't need to but just did it for insurance.

No lift

Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? IMG_0388.JPEG
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? IMG_0394.JPEG
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? IMG_0397.JPEG
Ford Bronco Help - Black Diamond Bigger Wheels....how big can I go....or should I go Badlands? IMG_0398.JPEG
Sponsored