Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright so non-negotiables are the Lux package, the upgraded shocks in some form, and v6 plus front/rear lockers. The outer banks is out cause the interior looks terrible with race red and I can stomach the cloth colors on wildtrak. I can kinda take it or leave it on the washout floors and MGV, although I see the advantages.

Use case-this will be an overland vehicle although I would like to take it on difficult trails as well. This will be my entry point into this sort of thing and I do plan on taking off-road courses. I’ll have a two week on two week off schedule so this thing will be used frequently and I plan on exploring all corners of the US with it. This is not going to be a rock crawler but I’d like it to be fairly capable.

My personal baseline for buying things is to over buy my use case. I’ve been caught off guard too many times and the price difference between a base outer banks with Lux and a wildtrak/badlands isn’t too bad. My only problem is for those with experience, how limited am I going to be with no sway bar disconnect? Like is this thing gonna cripple me on some trails or with proper prep I’ll be fine in 99.999% of use cases? A wildtrak with options is exactly the same price as a non squatched badlands with everything I want. I kinda of like the idea of having the squatch with extra clearance but if it’s really not necessary then cool I like the interior on the badlands better. If it’s better to go with cloth comfort wise vs MGV I’d go with wildtrak. If I got the wildtrak I’d probably swap tires to all terrains right away too. Help me decide!

Wildtrak build:
Race red
MIC top
Modular bumper, full steel bash plates.
Towing package
Lux package
Tube steps
Sandstone cloth
~57k

Badlands build:
Race red
MIC top
Beadlock wheels 33” tire
V6
LUX
Towing package

~57k
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You can always put some custom fitted cloth seat covers over the MGV and have the best of both worlds. I really wish I had thought of that earlier, because I might have spent the extra few grand to get the Badlands. Instead, I went with the roast cloth in the OBX with CG paint (which honestly looks amazing). Anyway, neoprene seat covers are also available for cloth seats and would provide a level of water resistance which would exceed what the cloth offers. As for the Sway Bar Disconnect (SBD) - you can add a manual SBD later, it's less slick, but effective.

I gave up the 35" tires, sway bar disconnect, and front locker... but I did save money on the build ($48765 MSRP) and I used the extra money to purchase a set of off-road rims and tires. Which gives me a nice highway setup and a weekend set of off-road shoes. The RTR Tech 6 wheels (17x9 +30) and 33.5" Milestar Patagonia M/T (295/70R17) tires ran a total of $1740. These should fit the OBX with ease.

Given your use case, you could pick either and it wouldn't be a mistake. My gut says to go with the Badlands, but I can see the case for the WildTrak.

Last edited:

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Both will work fine for your stated use and wants. You might need to budget for different tires on the Wildtrak if frozen precipitation is on the menu. The pricing is going to be similar, pick an interior you like best, or hate least, and don't look back.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands - because sure sway-disco is cool for the videos where you see the wheel drop, BUT it's going to make beaches, fire service roads, washboards all the more comfortable below 20 (25?) MPH.

Sponsored
OP
OP
midwestpilot

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both will work fine for your stated use and wants. You might need to budget for different tires on the Wildtrak if frozen precipitation is on the menu. The pricing is going to be similar, pick an interior you like best, or hate least, and don't look back.
I totally forgot to mention that but I will be in an area that has snow frequently so I do need tires that will perform. So wildtrak will not have the mud tires on it for long

Mirunner

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 or 2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was torn between the 2 as well and still am torn a little because of price just like you. I would still go badlands without sasquatch in your case. Badlands is the ultimate off roader as it is fully equipped to go off road. The electronic sway bar disconnect is a must have if you are planning on going off road. Wildtrak is great for off road and would be great for silver dunes here in Michigan. However, with the trails here in Michigan (just had my wifes Jeep up north on Memorial day on tin cup) I would recommend the badlands for our trails versus dessert running trails. I see you are a fellow Michigander. The Wildtrak would probably be ok for everything I am planning on doing, but I would rather have the sway bar, wash out interior, and mgv seats for off roading I am planning on doing while I own this vehicle for years.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like it comes down to MGV seats vs. Sport mode. I would probably go Badlands for the seats unless you really want 35" tires.

OP
OP
midwestpilot

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like it comes down to MGV seats vs. Sport mode. I would probably go Badlands for the seats unless you really want 35" tires.
If the 33s are good enough clearance for most situations I’m good with it. I just always want the best haha.

Sponsored

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d go Badlands, though I’m going to face this same decision when the 2022 B&P is released. Not that I expect much change to either model, but more because I’ll need to resubmit my order anyway.

if I decide that I gotta have 35s, well, not sure what I’ll do.

OP
OP
midwestpilot

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d go Badlands, though I’m going to face this same decision when the 2022 B&P is released. Not that I expect much change to either model, but more because I’ll need to resubmit my order anyway.

if I decide that I gotta have 35s, well, not sure what I’ll do.
I figure by the time I need to change the tires the secondary market will have some good options for a slight lift to get those 35s on there. I’m hearing though with the flex the 33s have that it’s gonna be pretty amazing since the 35s have a bump stop.

Espy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You can always put some custom fitted cloth seat covers over the MGV and have the best of both worlds. I really wish I had thought of that earlier, because I might have spent the extra few grand to get the Badlands. Instead, I went with the roast cloth in the OBX with CG paint (which honestly looks amazing). Anyway, neoprene seat covers are also available for cloth seats and would provide a level of water resistance which would exceed what the cloth offers. As for the Sway Bar Disconnect (SBD) - you can add a manual SBD later, it's less slick, but effective.

I gave up the 35" tires, sway bar disconnect, and front locker... but I did save money on the build ($48765 MSRP) and I used the extra money to purchase a set of off-road rims and tires. Which gives me a nice highway setup and a weekend set of off-road shoes. The RTR Tech 6 wheels (17x9 +30) and 33.5" Milestar Patagonia M/T (295/70R17) tires ran a total of $1740. These should fit the OBX with ease.

Given your use case, you could pick either and it wouldn't be a mistake. My gut says to go with the Badlands, but I can see the case for the WildTrak.
I was focused on OBX until I figured out I was trying to build a BL (swapping body color flares for BL flares, adding 17 inch wheels and 33 inch tires). Looking at the price of BL I was getting into WT money so went to WT. I'm now set on BL. SAS is overkill for my use case so I'm back at BL and limiting my options to keep it at $50K-ish based on my dealer's pricing.

EDIT - I think BL is the choice.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Both are great options and you can’t go wrong. So, seems like you just have to decide 35s vs 33, 4.7 gears vs 4.46, cloth vs MGV and manual disconnect vs push button disconnect.

On a side note, if you do plan to off road, you may want to consider removing the tube steps and adding rock rails (if you go WT) as the tube steps will get beat up if you do anything more than moderate off-roading.
Sponsored