Sponsored

HELP.... Final order soon. BD vs BL for the last time.

stras27

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's up everyone! Super excited to be a part of the Bronco fam. I have done a ton of research on this and a few other websites comparing the two trims of Broncos. I am really trying to decide which route to go. I typically like my tech. I live at the beach so not much crazy trail riding but I do like to leave my doors and top off. Which has led to my question.... For budget reasons, I need to decide between a BD and sasquatch package with the mid tier tech. Or the Badlands non-sasquatch with the higher tech package. My gut says BL w/ tech, especially after seeing some of the 4WP outfittings of the Bronco i could do down the road.. Which would you guys do? Thanks in advance.
I had the same choice and will go with the BL/33AT/High/2.7. The interior is what tilted for me and thought the feel/comfort would be better. The plastic dash on the BD and Space Grey (some pics were offputting) gave me pause. I also really wanted the sig lights and 12" screen but would have passed on those for cost if the BD build was significantly cheaper. Plus if I am honest I do not need the SasQ package even though that was a hard truth.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Last night I had redone a bunch of Basic builds.. I'm a WT person, but I wanted to see if I went with what I would consider the lowest acceptable options...what would I be looking at (for me that is MIC, Front Locker, and Mid package.

What I found was 2 surprising facts...

1) Except for BL and WT, you must have Sasquatch to get the Front Locker. The most surprising was that I thought Black Diamond came with the Front Locker like BL does....nope!

2) the difference in price between what I want and what my bare Min would be is only 5k. I hadn't realized how close in price all the trims were to each other (once you add some core options).

So as to the OP, why would you ever pick a lower Trim when you could get a higher trim for just a couple grand more? Not to mention there are many little nuances we are not aware of that comes with higher trim levels (like Prod Screen, plugs, dash materials, etc)

So money wise, either go with a Base or jump up to either a BL or WT (depending if you want washout or 35s)... Anything in the middle just doesn't make much sense.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands, it’s just better.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4Hi & Sand?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think a lot of us were in the same position. For me, if I went the lower end of BD, no aluminum wheels (the BD optional wheels happen to be my fav) standard x-fer case, 2.3 mid, it was a really good value. Once I outfitted it the way I wanted it, with all those options, it wasn't much of a jump to get the HD front axle, front locker, disconnects. You con't replace the BL features in the AM any better or cheaper. Just a note for the "just put 33" tires on later approach, Ford seems to specifically shy away from anything larger than 265/70/17 on the 190 axle. Granted, they have to warranty every ham fisted driver who buys their vehicle, but it's pretty clear their testing indicates the 190 axle s best left with 32" or smaller rubber. Stage 3 motorsports does a pretty cool Ranger build up that touches on all the ways to gain clearance for larger tires, up to the 33"s at least (maybe 35", I don't remember). It a very similar set up.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ilmguy1234

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been down this road a million times as well (finally settled on a non-SAS BD, but reserve the right to change to BL at any moment). Here are my thoughts:

Why would you SAS a BD? What does SAS give you that you specifically need? I don't see a "normal" beach environment needing a front locker, just air down and go. I run my GC on Corolla with open diffs with no issues what so ever.

Are you going above a 35" tire? If not, then 4.7's don't buy you much either.

Do you need bead lock capable wheels? I'd say for your needs, no.

You can get Advanced 4x4 on BD so no issue there.

Within a few months, if not immediately, you'll be able to slap a small leveling kit on the front of a BD and run a 33" tire with a great stance.

I like the look of the "lower" end head and tail lights of the BD as compared to the BL.

A Non-SAS BL gives you a front locker (not "needed" and sway bar disco (highly desired)).

I'm not sure if the 210 vs. the 190 front axle makes much of a difference for "normal" folks.

I prefer the all black interior of the BL but then I lose the head/ tail lights that I like.

For me I was at the Mid package only, no reason to go higher so that was not in the equation. It was strictly a decision on if I want the two hero switches (front locker and sway bar disco)) that'll I'll probably never use. At about a $4400 difference it became clear that a Non-SAS BD was the better option for me based on my actual intended use case, not what I dream of doing but how I'll actually use the vehicle.

You did bring up the budget as a concern and did offer that you'd be ok with a BD so I'm throwing out a Non-SAS as BD as a pretty viable option for your stated use criteria.

I'll slap a leveling kit on it and go with 33's and ride off into the sunset in my BD. Well, at least until I change my order to a BL to get the two hero switches... LOL.

Best of luck to you!!
This is great advice. thanks a ton.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
What's up everyone! Super excited to be a part of the Bronco fam. I have done a ton of research on this and a few other websites comparing the two trims of Broncos. I am really trying to decide which route to go. I typically like my tech. I live at the beach so not much crazy trail riding but I do like to leave my doors and top off. Which has led to my question.... For budget reasons, I need to decide between a BD and sasquatch package with the mid tier tech. Or the Badlands non-sasquatch with the higher tech package. My gut says BL w/ tech, especially after seeing some of the 4WP outfittings of the Bronco i could do down the road.. Which would you guys do? Thanks in advance.
I'm between
4Dr BL 2.7 non-SQ vs 4Dr Base 2.7 Squatch.

Difference is about $9000. Main difference I care about are Signature lights & paint choice. If I were you, I'd do BL with opt rims because the lights are cool.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, what’s your engine/tranny build? I was forced into a BL/High build to get the manny tranny as the manual option with BD goes away if you choose a Mid or higher trim package.

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have my order in for a BL but most likely changing to a BD. The difference in builds is $6539. I am getting invoice pricing either way I go.

Badlands
2 dr / 2.7 / auto / high / floor liners = $51,402 with destination and CT sales tax (6.35%)

Black Diamond
2 dr / 2.7 / auto / mid / advanced 4x4 / floor liners = $44863 with destination and sales tax

I do not like the headlamps, grill or wheels on the BD. But I figure I will be able to get headlights and tail lights for probably under $1k after market and I am sure I will find someone to do a grill swap. Even if I have to do a lift to get 33” or 34” tires I would still be WAY ahead in a BD. As much as I REALLY want that 12” screen the bottom line is its not or worth the $6.5k to get there and it really does not have any other functionality than one extra visible panel. So Most likely it will be BD in the end.

stueyd

Black Diamond
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think a lot of us were in the same position. For me, if I went the lower end of BD, no aluminum wheels (the BD optional wheels happen to be my fav) standard x-fer case, 2.3 mid, it was a really good value. Once I outfitted it the way I wanted it, with all those options, it wasn't much of a jump to get the HD front axle, front locker, disconnects. You con't replace the BL features in the AM any better or cheaper. Just a note for the "just put 33" tires on later approach, Ford seems to specifically shy away from anything larger than 265/70/17 on the 190 axle. Granted, they have to warranty every ham fisted driver who buys their vehicle, but it's pretty clear their testing indicates the 190 axle s best left with 32" or smaller rubber. Stage 3 motorsports does a pretty cool Ranger build up that touches on all the ways to gain clearance for larger tires, up to the 33"s at least (maybe 35", I don't remember). It a very similar set up.
Interesting, thanks for your thoughts on this. I have been in the BD vs BL camp for some time with the deciding factor being 33" tires. You just answered one of the biggest questions I've had for a while in terms of whether or not the stock wheels and axel setup with BD could support the 33". Would love to see a mini-squatch 33" option for BD, but with your info it sounds like I should either upgrade to Sasquatch, upgrade to BL, or hope that mini-squatch comes in 2022 since it sounds like most 2 doors will end up being my2022 anyway.

Sponsored

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After looking at BD & BL for months I (am) would go BL & be happy to have all the capability it offers, never looking back.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd also recommend the BL with High or Lux.

If you like tech, you'll probably miss some stuff if you only get BD with Mid.
If you're not planning on a lot of serious off-road, there no need for Sasquatch (unless you're just one that HAS to have the look of the 35s). BL should be more than adequate.

For me, the ultimate decision was that I wanted at least High (though I'll go with Lux) and the rubberized interior. So Badlands is the only choice.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting, thanks for your thoughts on this. I have been in the BD vs BL camp for some time with the deciding factor being 33" tires. You just answered one of the biggest questions I've had for a while in terms of whether or not the stock wheels and axel setup with BD could support the 33". Would love to see a mini-squatch 33" option for BD, but with your info it sounds like I should either upgrade to Sasquatch, upgrade to BL, or hope that mini-squatch comes in 2022 since it sounds like most 2 doors will end up being my2022 anyway.
Really depends on how you plan on driving and how hardcore you plan on offroading. Thousands of guys will run 33's on the 190 with no issues at all. A few will grenade the front diff. A few will also grenade the 210.

Is the 190 used in the Ranger? If so, that would be a great place to look to see if people are having problems on 33's.

RRaptor

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with an Area51 Black Diamond 2 door build. 2.3 manual. The top and doors will come off and I will run a Bimini top. It will be a fun car with mild trails. I plan on trading for a Warthog. My Raptor is too comfortable to give up for any sort of long distance travel.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know that the larger tire on the stock axle will be a problem for most, but if you are going 2.7 and the Bronco model you are ordering is heavier than the equivalent Ranger, you have more power and weight, with a larger tire than is offered on the heaviest and most off road biased Ranger (Tremor). They equip the Tremor to 265/70/17 if I remember correctly. Upgrading axles is generally beyond a home mechanic (at least this home mechanic) so changing axles and gears is not only costly from a parts perspective, but takes quite a bit of labor hours as well, if you find you need it. For me, I decided going the HD route up front and likely be done mechanically for any use now or in my foreseeable future.
Sponsored