Sponsored

Help! How do you stop this thing? A stat you probably didn't know (149 feet brake distance).

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder what the stopping distance is for my 38,000# diesel pusher motorhome with 5,000# Bronco in tow is.
Sponsored

deejay08

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wow, just when i thought this forum couldn't possibly come up with a new Bronco complaint, i get proven wrong. You're driving a squishy off road vehicle, don't drive it like it has pirellis on it. Im 11k miles in and not once have i felt unsafe and i do tailgate a tiny bit here and there and i drive in LA so your anxiety is very likely an overreaction just like half the other gripes here.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I love the brakes on my 4dr Sasquatch 2.7. In comparison to my Excursion the Bronco stops on a dime. I'd say with upgraded rotors and pads my f150 might be slightly better.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

CR. Nothing else needs to be said. Get you information from an actual source not a bunch of half-wits that donā€™t know anything. They will fail a car if it's not a Toyota. CR is the king of biased subjective ratings.
FIFY!

Sponsored

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I had the same problem on my 12 raptor, I put drilled slotted disks on and it made a huge difference in stopping power. I'm sure I'll be going to those when my bronco is delivered.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a heavy (V6, Lux) Badlands Sasquatch 4DR.
The Bronco is so much fun to drive, I find myself driving very fast. The first time I hit the brakes hard to test the stopping ability I was slightly shocked by the hysterics. If feels like the nose dives so low the bumper will scrape the pavement and the tires howl like a pack of starved wolves leaving black stripes on the pavement.

I don't think it's a safety concern, just something to be aware of. My Bronco begs to be driven fast. It takes discipline to not do stupid stuff on public roads.

Check the first few seconds of this video to see a bit of what it's like to mash the brakes.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's only one thing that worries me about the 4 door Sasquachted Badlands soon to be delivered to me, which is how long it takes to stop.

Virtually all current production vehicles' published road braking performance tests indicate stopping distances from 60 mph that are typically 120 to 140 feet. See Consumer Reports breakdown on typical stopping distance by vehicle type. I consider the Bronco to be a midsized SUV. That class has a stopping distance of 134 feet.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/best-and-worst-braking-distances-a2960086475/

Sports/sporty cars120
Luxury midsized cars128
Luxury small SUVs129
Small cars130
Luxury small cars131
Small SUVs132
Luxury large cars132
Large cars132
Midsized cars133
Midsized SUVs134
Luxury midsized SUVs134
Compact pickups136
Minivans138
Compact electric/hybrid cars138
Luxury large SUVs138
Full-sized pickups140
Large SUVs143
Average of all tested vehicles132

Also per consumer reports, they say

• Braking distance: The Ford Broncoā€™s stopping distance isnā€™t just subpar; CR says, ā€œThe Broncoā€™s stopping distances are among the longest weā€™ve seen from any vehicle in years. It took the Bronco 149 feet to stop from 60 mph in dry conditions and 168 feet in the wet. The brake feel wasnā€™t bad on the road, but for any emergency braking, the Bronco felt cumbersome.

I can't figure out which Bronco was tested in the above statement. Typically a Sasquachted package will be the worst.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop quicker? For the quick-witted, I'm aware slowing down and lightening the vehicle are options.

BUT: Bigger calipers and cross drilled/vented rotors will not help. They will only improve brake fade. I'm not talking about repeated hard stops from high speeds, which is where calipers and rotors may help.

The answer is better tires, but All-Terrain and Mud-Terrain tires typically suck for stopping. Is there a way to get a 35 inch Summer or winter tire or all seasons?
They don't really make them for this size vehicle tire. Please add some suggestions if you have them!!!
Yeah but can most of those crawl over boulders the size of a Volkswagen beetle??
It's not designed for things that a multitude of other vehicles are designed for.
This form of comparison cracks me up. better sell that tank!!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There are several things you can do to improve braking. They key is to determine if the ABS is kicking on. If your tires are locking up, then you have plenty of brake...just not enough tire grip so changing tire compound is where to focus.

However, if your tires are not locking up (Aka ABS is not kicking in) then you can improve the braking ability by....

1) reduce wheel weight via rims or tire choices (aka reduce unsprung weight)

2) change brake pad compound (possibly at the cost of wearing out rotors faster)

3) replace rubber brake lines with braided hoses that don't expand under pressure.

4) switch to a big brake kit (not sure if their are options out yet)

At the point where ABS is kicking in during hard/emergency braking (on dry pavement of course) having additional braking power does you no good and it's time to turn your attention to Wheel traction.

Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Alcon makes a kit but the reall limiting factor are the 17ā€ wheels leave no room for larger rotors. An yeah the stopping distance sucks!

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford brakes are about the best in the business. Shocking how great they are.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't see it...mine stops great!

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford brakes are about the best in the business. Shocking how great they are.
Is this a new phenomenon? My personal ford ownership consists of an 89 Taurus SHO and a 2010 Fiesta. Both would warp rotors instantly with one panic stop.

My Mustang doesn't count because it had drums and they suck on anything.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every time Iā€™ve seen a consumer reports comparison of products I have extensive experience with their conclusions are nowhere near reality. I wouldnā€™t put much stock in anything they publish.
Itā€™s been said over the years they get paid to spin some tall tales. Not many honest reviewers any more. All that social and all mighty dollar. Same with 90% of you tubers and tictoks. All paid reviews. Whole world turns and people sell their souls over a worthless piece of paper.
Sponsored