Sponsored

Help! I can’t decide what direction to go with my build.

What build would you do?

• Total voters

Washbjj88

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I’ve configured 4 builds with the Black Diamond, outer banks, Badlands and wildtrack. Each one has an advantage to me in one way or another. It will be a daily driver and light weekend off road the first year or two. After that I hope to make it a adventure rig for weekend trips and cross country overlanding. I’m also split between Area 51 and Cactus Gray.
Sponsored

Attachments

andi

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I’ve configured 4 builds with the Black Diamond, outer banks, Badlands and wildtrack. Each one has an advantage to me in one way or another. It will be a daily driver and light weekend off road the first year or two. After that I hope to make it a adventure rig for weekend trips and cross country overlanding. I’m also split between Area 51 and Cactus Gray.
wildtrak, you will get the most equity for that car

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You need to narrow things down more, and no, there's no shortcuts. Just gnashing teeth, laying awake, reading threads, checking and re-checking and then starting all over again. You have 2 with the 2.3 and 2 with the 2.7 and 3 with Squatch...start with your must's and work from there. For me, the 2.7 was a given as was the 10 speed....the decider for the rest came down to the marine vinyl interior....

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since you plan to tier up on your adventuring, I think the Badlands and the stock equipment is has gets you off to the best start and future proofing.

The sway bar disconnect and other bits, plus washout interior make fewer mods you'll "need" in the future that are expensive to add.

You can gradually improve your suspension with new quality parts if you're starting with a good base.

Cosmetics such as color or Squatch are up to you and based on what its worth to you to pay for. other than that, flexibility and mod-ability are wise considerations first.

Sponsored

SharpGT500

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 74, 78, 80, 84 II XLS. Current: 1974
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's very easy to add a roof rake at home. Don't let that limit you to the 2.3 in Badlands if you rather have the 2.7. First decide if you want the disconnecting sway bar or not. If yes go badlands (obviously), if no go Wild Track. Then pick your engine and transmission choice. That's my 2 cents.

Texas Bronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Z71 Chevrolet Silverado w/ 4" lift on 33s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same here OP, I am debating between a Squatched BD 2.7 with mid or BL 2.7 with mid. Since you can get both with 4.7 Locking Diffs and the lift and tire differences isn't that much. The "35s" 34.4" are only .56" taller and 1.18" wider than the stock BL tires (33.8").

OP
OP
Washbjj88

Washbjj88

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You need to narrow things down more, and no, there's no shortcuts. Just gnashing teeth, laying awake, reading threads, checking and re-checking and then starting all over again. You have 2 with the 2.3 and 2 with the 2.7 and 3 with Squatch...start with your must's and work from there. For me, the 2.7 was a given as was the 10 speed....the decider for the rest came down to the marine vinyl interior....
I have researched everything that is currently available and still can’t decide what to do. That’s why I’m asking for opinions not answers. I want 33” or 35” stock BD or OB is not going to cut it for me. Washout interior would be nice but is it more important than the 2.7? Would it be better to go with the BD to have a budget for aftermarket accessories that are currently unknown? BL feels like the fool proof option. Is the factory roof rack worth it or better to go aftermarket a few years.

Thank you for your advice

OP
OP
Washbjj88

Washbjj88

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since you plan to tier up on your adventuring, I think the Badlands and the stock equipment is has gets you off to the best start and future proofing.

The sway bar disconnect and other bits, plus washout interior make fewer mods you'll "need" in the future that are expensive to add.

You can gradually improve your suspension with new quality parts if you're starting with a good base.

Cosmetics such as color or Squatch are up to you and based on what its worth to you to pay for. other than that, flexibility and mod-ability are wise considerations first.
Thank you! Your logic is just what I am looking for.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The CFO told me that I was not buying a $50K truck. Showed her the Big Bend tricked out versus the Black Diamond tricked out and the cost was only $600 more. She said yes and the "Mid-Life Crisis' was born. Just waiting for December now. Good luck on your choice. The CFO made mine.

2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond.jpg

Attachments

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you! Your logic is just what I am looking for.
The 2.7 and whether or not its worth stretching for is a personal choice. I say do the math. Your note won’t go up a lot over 60 months.

The longer you keep your Bronco after it’s paid for, the more value you will draw from it. I know that’s looking far ahead, but nothing wrong with going in with a plan.

I’ll keep my 2 door 2.7 BadSquatch for at least the next 8-10 years baring a bad accident or rolling it on a shelf road (could happen!), So I’m getting the lux package and everything I need up front. I’ll camp maybe 10-15 weekends a year, then there’s the lake, beach, kayaking, ski trips, etc. So, the cost isn’t a big deal for me because I’m going to use my Bronco a good bit.

Not saying you have to do all of that, but your happiness has a value as well. Having the option to do is better than talking yourself out of it because of the cost to catch up to doing it. If you have a capable Bronco, you just may find the motivation more often.

OP
OP
Washbjj88

Washbjj88

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7 and whether or not its worth stretching for is a personal choice. I say do the math. Your note won’t go up a lot over 60 months.

The longer you keep your Bronco after it’s paid for, the more value you will draw from it. I know that’s looking far ahead, but nothing wrong with going in with a plan.

I’ll keep my 2 door 2.7 BadSquatch for at least the next 8-10 years baring a bad accident or rolling it on a shelf road (could happen!), So I’m getting the lux package and everything I need up front. I’ll camp maybe 10-15 weekends a year, then there’s the lake, beach, kayaking, ski trips, etc. So, the cost isn’t a big deal for me because I’m going to use my Bronco a good bit.

Not saying you have to do all of that, but your happiness has a value as well. Having the option to do is better than talking yourself out of it because of the cost to catch up to doing it. If you have a capable Bronco, you just may find the motivation more often.
I’m lucky enough to be able to get the bronco I want, once I decide what that is. And I’m not worried about the payment it’s the down payment that will change based on my options. But with everything in life there is always something else the money could go towards. Lots of overlanders say save the money on the rig and gear to pay for more adventures.

OP
OP
Washbjj88

Washbjj88

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The CFO told me that I was not buying a $50K truck. Showed her the Big Bend tricked out versus the Black Diamond tricked out and the cost was only $600 more. She said yes and the "Mid-Life Crisis' was born. Just waiting for December now. Good luck on your choice. The CFO made mine.

2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond.jpg
Looks like a nice build! The CFO in my house wants a cactus gray or Area 51 with a white top.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m lucky enough to be able to get the bronco I want, once I decide what that is. And I’m not worried about the payment it’s the down payment that will change based on my options. But with everything in life there is always something else the money could go towards. Lots of overlanders say save the money on the rig and gear to pay for more adventures.
Not sure what that means "pay for more adventures" The rig and gear are what make your adventure. Your rig is where you spend most of your time, you need it to work, and you don't want to get stuck and need a recovery. Most places you go as far as national parks have cheap entry fees. Sleep mostly in the tent or on the rig and cook at camp.

To just overland, no, you don't need a high end rig, just planning and patience. 33s are big enough tires and a 2 in lift are about all you'd need for most normal trails and shelf roads.

If you buy a fridge and a battery like a Goal Zero or Jackery 500, you'll be able to charge the fridge and electronics. A Goose Gear storage system is a nice to have, but not required.

Only must haves are a roof rack, recovery gear, and some MaxTrax. They'll get you out of most situations.

I know this is the internets, but be careful of what randoms and "overlanders" claim. Take it all, including this with a grain of salt and do your own research. Can never have too much data or information, so soak it up and it'll balance out if you use multiple sources. If you pay attention, you'll learn which are more credible and which are not.

Your money should be spent from the ground upwards. Meaning, tires, wheels, brakes, suspension, armor and bumpers, then move upwards in the vehicle. Follow this philosophy and you'll always have good functionality and increased reliability.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like a nice build! The CFO in my house wants a cactus gray or Area 51 with a white top.
The CFO agrees that we need the top painted white within a month of delivery. Happy wife, happy life. Or should I say CFO?
Sponsored