Sponsored

Help! I have "Analysis Paralysis" with my Base Bronco Wheel/Tire Upgrade

I have a 2021 Base Bronco (16" steel wheels, 17" tires). Which "available right now" option is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2021 Base Bronco 2-door. I have have kept is stock, but it has been almost 2 years. I am ready to do some wheel/tire upgrades (I think, or maybe I should do something different?).

Some factors:
  1. I came across two fantastic wheel deals available RIGHT NOW in my area, but I am not sure if they are for me or just good deals.
  2. I do NOT prefer to keep two sets of wheels and tires at the house, so that is a factor. I could if I had to, but I have not done cross fit in 3+ years and I have to be realistic about getting heavy tires into and up from the basement without the risk of a back alignment (which is more expensive than a wheel alignment, for comparison).
  3. I love the look of my steel wheels, but do sometimes think the tires are little small for the vehicle (30"). I like the look of both the silver steel wheel and would like the look of the black steel wheel (Black Diamond) with my Antimatter Blue Bronco.
  4. I admit the I am mostly a "cosplay" Bronco guy, but would like to get a bit more serious with off-roading.
  5. I have researched that it is harder to get bigger tires with a 18" Outer Bank Wheel than a 17" Wheel (like the Black Diamond Steel wheel).
  6. Discount tire will swap out wheels and tires seasonally and do tire rotations FOR FREE, IF you buy both wheels and tires from them. I could just do nothing now and buy the wheels and tires from them (at their higher price) when ready, and swap out wheels and tires seasonally. They could even store the tires for a fee, so I could have a "summer mud season" bigger tire (33s" on Discount Tire bought wheels), and a smaller "snow season" winter tire (my original set).
Sponsored

Roadbronc

Big Bend
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Echo, 2014 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I know how you feel about the idea of switching wheels between seasons. For now, I just want good road manners as well as very good snow performance. If it were me, I would say when you do get a chance to try the off-roading thing,, just use your current tires and see how it goes for awhile. By the time you are ready to commit to a dedicated wheelset for off road, you will know much better what specific tire/wheel setup you prefer for your type of wheeling. All of the trims come with decent starter tires/wheels, so I will let them tell me what more I need or not for tires & wheels. The storage option at the tire shop will allow you to run 2 wheelsets without the storage problem. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Happy Wheeling!

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Buy the Black Diamond steel wheels now and go buy a set of something you like in a 265/70R17 or 285/70R17 tires. I highly recommend keeping a C load rated tire. The stock Black Diamond tires would be an ideal year round upgrade if you can find a full set and bolt them on. No need to keep your stock 16” steelies or have two sets of tires unless you are going to run dedicated snow tires or studded tires. The 18” OBX wheels don’t have as many tire choices that are C rated. The deal for OBX wheels and tires for $375 is your cheapest upgrade path, but I don‘t prefer the aesthetic of the road focused tires.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

If you like the silver base steelies but are looking for more tire then just look into upgrading those. I'm not an expert in what sizes are out there or what's the biggest you can fit but plenty of posts and pics out there to compare.

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

30,000+ miles in on standard oem OBX wheels tires. Admittedly all highway miles but the performance in slush snow ice rain is phenomenal. Plus unless you really really plan on mudding the sas like 45" tires on Wranglers is 99% show.

At less than $80 per wheel/tire you can't go wrong. Tires alone would be double. If you dont buy these even to resell someone should buy them just for the eventual need for new tires after 45,000+ miles (based on my tire wear- have not had this good since factory Continentals on a Ridgeline)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know how you feel about the idea of switching wheels between seasons. For now, I just want good road manners as well as very good snow performance. If it were me, I would say when you do get a chance to try the off-roading thing,, just use your current tires and see how it goes for awhile. By the time you are ready to commit to a dedicated wheelset for off road, you will know much better what specific tire/wheel setup you prefer for your type of wheeling. All of the trims come with decent starter tires/wheels, so I will let them tell me what more I need or not for tires & wheels. The storage option at the tire shop will allow you to run 2 wheelsets without the storage problem. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Happy Wheeling!
This is sound advice. I may be able to just get by by putting bigger tires on my 16" steelies when ready. Now what do I do with $400-1000 that I was thinking of spending of Wheels now?

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Buy the Black Diamond steel wheels now and go buy a set of something you like in a 265/70R17 or 285/70R17 tires. I highly recommend keeping a C load rated tire. The stock Black Diamond tires would be an ideal year round upgrade if you can find a full set and bolt them on. No need to keep your stock 16” steelies or have two sets of tires unless you are going to run dedicated snow tires or studded tires. The 18” OBX wheels don’t have as many tire choices that are C rated. The deal for OBX wheels and tires for $375 is your cheapest upgrade path, but I don‘t prefer the aesthetic of the road focused tires.
I really like the look of my silver steel wheels, but the tires do seem a little small on it from an aesthetic standpoint.

But getting the 17" black steel wheels (from the black diamond trim), I will gain an inch, and a higher probably of finding someone with take offs that will fit. TBD, I am find with Black or Silver, both are decent colors. I do think I will just keep one set of tires because unlike my prior vehicle (Mustang), these tires are much heavier, harder to store and I really don't "need" snow tires.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you like the silver base steelies but are looking for more tire then just look into upgrading those. I'm not an expert in what sizes are out there or what's the biggest you can fit but plenty of posts and pics out there to compare.
Yes. @BudgetBronco has an excellent video on this topic. I may copy his plan. I am 2 years in with the base set, just kind of itching for an upgrade now. It is just that getting take offs that work with the 17" inch steelies may be easier than the 16" steelies.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
30,000+ miles in on standard oem OBX wheels tires. Admittedly all highway miles but the performance in slush snow ice rain is phenomenal. Plus unless you really really plan on mudding the sas like 45" tires on Wranglers is 99% show.

At less than $80 per wheel/tire you can't go wrong. Tires alone would be double. If you dont buy these even to resell someone should buy them just for the eventual need for new tires after 45,000+ miles (based on my tire wear- have not had this good since factory Continentals on a Ridgeline)
I don't have a good feel for how long Bronco tires will last. I have seen 6-10 years regardless of how much they are used. The OBX deal is the best for an immediate upgrade and/or if I truly wanted to lock into two sets of wheels AND tires. I could upgrade to OBX for now, then swap out my Base 30" with 32" or 33" on the 16" steel wheels. I will likely be stuck paying full "new" price (because take offs of 32/33" tires that are on 16" inch wheels are not super common) and waste the rest of the thread life on my base tires though. It is not the most environmentally conscience solution.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yes. @BudgetBronco has an excellent video on this topic. I may copy his plan. I am 2 years in with the base set, just kind of itching for an upgrade now. It is just that getting take offs that work with the 17" inch steelies may be easier than the 16" steelies.
If you're looking at only take-offs then just find a full set of either the BD black steelies and General tires or the standard BL wheel with the BFGs. Either option would still run you close to what it would cost you to upgrade tires on the 16" steelies you have now and you could match either the 265 or 285 width with whatever you're requirements are.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you're looking at only take-offs then just find a full set of either the BD black steelies and General tires or the standard BL wheel with the BFGs. Either option would still run you close to what it would cost you to upgrade tires on the 16" steelies you have now and you could match either the 265 or 285 width with whatever you're requirements are.
I think you may have the answer for me! Thanks!
Sponsored