Sponsored

Help me fix my suspension and maybe lift my truck. Thanks!

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello all, I currently have a 2013 GMC Yukon XL 1500 4x4 that I recently put new Firestone Destination XT LT265/70R17 tires on. With new tires I wanted to get an alignment and the shop found that my lower ball joints had quite a bit of play. Plus they pointed out the rack and pinion/tie rods/steering was worse for wear. So obviously all this needs to be fixed as it will affect drivability and safety and I am tool capable but I haven't done something this large at the same time.

This is the family hauler so it can't be down for a long time but a Friday - Sunday or broken into 2 weekends is fine. We do a few camping trips each year and go out with extended family wheeling usually hauling the short trailer with gear. I had been debating about upgrading to LT285/70R17 but didn't want to have the tires rub while I figured out what lift kit I want to put on. So I am looking to do a 3-4" kit with new upper control arms and will need new rims I know.

So what I'm asking is ... (Looking to spend no more than 5K)
Is the time worth the effort or let a shop handle it?
Anyone have a recommendation for a good lift kit? Should I add shocks?
Anything I'm not thinking about?

Thanks for the help and insight.
Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lifts that high usually do require longer shocks.
I used Superlift for my excursion, and am happy with it... but I can’t really compare them to anyone else, personally.
There should be numerous off-road shops in Texas... I’d at least call around for pricing and timeframe... since you are constrained by both of those. I’d price a full turnkey job and a labor only, but you’d have to be set on which kit you were going with.
Insight wise, I’d focus on the steering and ball joints first, since those are the major issue, and see where my money was at after that. Granted, you’ll likely need a new alignment after lifting, so you could possibly have to pay for an extra one in that direction.

The tires your talking about are only about an inch taller... are you sure you need the lift... or could you just do a “leveling kit” that is usually a lot less costly? Just a thought