Help me spec rig for my house in Costa Rica

l00semarble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3, ‘93 Land Cruiser, e400 wagon, GT3RS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Im a n00b just getting interested in a Bronco after realizing that it may be the best vehicle I can purchase for my needs. I’m thinking about placing an order when possible for a 2022.

Here is the deal….I am moving to Costa Rica in next 1-2 years. They recently announced a new import tax exemption for 2 vehicles if/when you apply for residency. This is a big deal because taxes are minimum of 52% of the value of vehicle. A $50k Bronco would cost $75k In Costa Rica. Which means if I bring down a $50k Bronco it will be worth $75k locally when I get it there.

so here are some buying considerations that may differ quite a bit from many here. Just thought it may be a fun exercise to have those who know more about the various configurations and who have gone round and round with buying choices to help me.

I want to spec best choices from Ford but I will also add any aftermarket stuff that makes sense. I need to get everything done that I may want because once I ship the car mods will be 100x more difficult Down there.

• my house is in Uvita in the remote South Pacific area. To get to house requires a high clearance 4x4. The road up is a steep climb from beach to 1,400ft elevation. Road is rough and frequently eroded With ruts and large loose stones
  • Bronco will be offroaded as a daily driver. Water crossings are frequent. Mud/sand a daily part of driving just to get places.
  • I will go “wheeling” for fun but also need off-road ability just to explore and get around. driving up to house is off-roading but it becomes just a chore, not a recreation. Rutted, big stones, shaky/jiggly ride would like to be as comfortable at highest speeds possible.
  • I want the car to be a beast with plenty of overhead in capability because you can get into situations down there that you have to get out of by yourself.
  • Jungle wheeling is lower speed trail work, water crossings, mud etc. I wont be crawling rock gardens or running Baja style high speed.
  • roads are very steep and narrow so power (actually torque) is important.
  • since bronco will be imported to Costa Rica no warranty will be in effect
  • Parts and service will be very difficult to find. The Most reliable drivetrain and most durable configuration is desirable.
  • I am a huge fan a manual transmissions Just because I enjoy them. will prefer manual but seems it may limit other choices
  • I would always choose more power over less all other things being equal.
  • purchase price and fuel economy not important. Aftermarket expenses not important. I’ll spend what I need to to get the right car for the job.
  • mostvdriving will be done below 45 mph
  • i will run without doors and side windows most of the time but will want top for shade much of the time.
  • I will likely let rain hit the car without doors and side windows when it rains which it does biblically in rainy season but not too often in dry season.
  • in dry season dust can be extensive.
  • will be parked indoors at house
  • need secure lockable storage for beach etc ( aftermarket?)
  • would like Safari style roof rack/basket maybe with pelican case bolted on to keep recovery gear. will frequently haul surf boards and maybe kayaks etc
  • need winch
  • need armor on front, rear, undersides and rock sliders
  • ill go nuts with lighting. I can run anything I want there. Will do huge Rigid light bar and etc.
  • 35” min tires but probably will go bigger with true mud tires
  • lockers mandatory
  • prefer 4 door
  • would like tow hitch for utility trailer and maybe wave runners.
so I know this is a long first post. What do you think? i know the ‘22 order guides are not out yet but what should I order?
Sponsored

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Im a n00b just getting interested in a Bronco after realizing that it may be the best vehicle I can purchase for my needs. I’m thinking about placing an order when possible for a 2022.

Here is the deal….I am moving to Costa Rica in next 1-2 years. They recently announced a new import tax exemption for 2 vehicles if/when you apply for residency. This is a big deal because taxes are minimum of 52% of the value of vehicle. A $50k Bronco would cost $75k In Costa Rica. Which means if I bring down a $50k Bronco it will be worth $75k locally when I get it there.

so here are some buying considerations that may differ quite a bit from many here. Just thought it may be a fun exercise to have those who know more about the various configurations and who have gone round and round with buying choices to help me.

I want to spec best choices from Ford but I will also add any aftermarket stuff that makes sense. I need to get everything done that I may want because once I ship the car mods will be 100x more difficult Down there.

• my house is in Uvita in the remote South Pacific area. To get to house requires a high clearance 4x4. The road up is a steep climb from beach to 1,400ft elevation. Road is rough and frequently eroded With ruts and large loose stones
  • Bronco will be offroaded as a daily driver. Water crossings are frequent. Mud/sand a daily part of driving just to get places.
  • I will go “wheeling” for fun but also need off-road ability just to explore and get around. driving up to house is off-roading but it becomes just a chore, not a recreation. Rutted, big stones, shaky/jiggly ride would like to be as comfortable at highest speeds possible.
  • I want the car to be a beast with plenty of overhead in capability because you can get into situations down there that you have to get out of by yourself.
  • Jungle wheeling is lower speed trail work, water crossings, mud etc. I wont be crawling rock gardens or running Baja style high speed.
  • roads are very steep and narrow so power (actually torque) is important.
  • since bronco will be imported to Costa Rica no warranty will be in effect
  • Parts and service will be very difficult to find. The Most reliable drivetrain and most durable configuration is desirable.
  • I am a huge fan a manual transmissions Just because I enjoy them. will prefer manual but seems it may limit other choices
  • I would always choose more power over less all other things being equal.
  • purchase price and fuel economy not important. Aftermarket expenses not important. I’ll spend what I need to to get the right car for the job.
  • mostvdriving will be done below 45 mph
  • i will run without doors and side windows most of the time but will want top for shade much of the time.
  • I will likely let rain hit the car without doors and side windows when it rains which it does biblically in rainy season but not too often in dry season.
  • in dry season dust can be extensive.
  • will be parked indoors at house
  • need secure lockable storage for beach etc ( aftermarket?)
  • would like Safari style roof rack/basket maybe with pelican case bolted on to keep recovery gear. will frequently haul surf boards and maybe kayaks etc
  • need winch
  • need armor on front, rear, undersides and rock sliders
  • ill go nuts with lighting. I can run anything I want there. Will do huge Rigid light bar and etc.
  • 35” min tires but probably will go bigger with true mud tires
  • lockers mandatory
  • prefer 4 door
  • would like tow hitch for utility trailer and maybe wave runners.
so I know this is a long first post. What do you think? i know the ‘22 order guides are not out yet but what should I order?
I love the Bronco, but have to say you should find out what is the best ride in Costa Rica is for the locals and go that way unless you can find a Ford dealer ahead of time and get in their good graces. This is not an "if" I have trouble. That rough a daily drive means you are def. going to be breaking shit.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

given that laundry list, a low technology toyota land cruiser or nissan patrol would be at the top of my wish list.

given all the electronic doodads in the bronco, and low level
of support currently available in costa rica, importing a relatively high tech bronco seems like a bad idea.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
given that laundry list, a low technology toyota land cruiser or nissan patrol
I'm less experienced on here (with civilian off roading at least) but that seems like a much better idea. Something more basic and serviceable in the region. You mention needing something kind of narrow and the Bronco is pretty wide and a chonker.

Otherwise a Black Diamond Sasquatch sounds like relatively it might be okay because of the more water resistant interior (wash out floors, marine grade vinyl seats) and gearing of 4.7:1 that comes with the Sasquatch so you keep your torque if running above 35's (which are stock). Sasquatch gets the lift and lockers which you mentioned needing.

Honestly though I don't think a Bronco is your best bet though from what you're saying.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Honestly... Get a Toyota Hilux. Repairing a brand new Ford vehicle in Costa Rica will be a nightmare. Hilux will last a lifetime!

OP
OP
l00semarble

l00semarble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think you should order something with a warranty. Or an old Rover or Land Cruiser. Sorry - but I have been there a few times.
well already have bulletproof Series 80 Land Cruiser diesel there totally rigged for duty. If I have to tow the Ford or if it breaks I have a backup.

thanks for reply.

Ford Bronco Help me spec rig for my house in Costa Rica E6708705-EA9D-4EE7-B7C8-6687FEDFB7B6

OP
OP
l00semarble

l00semarble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I love the Bronco, but have to say you should find out what is the best ride in Costa Rica is for the locals and go that way unless you can find a Ford dealer ahead of time and get in their good graces. This is not an "if" I have trouble. That rough a daily drive means you are def. going to be breaking shit.
Best is Toyota for parts and service. Have one now. Wifey probably going to get a 2023 next gen 4Runner when it is released. it would be easiest to stick with Toyota but if want top off/doors off fun toy with one chance to import something with no tax it is a good time to get a different than usual toy.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think you should order something with a warranty. Or an old Rover or Land Cruiser. Sorry - but I have been there a few times.
Yep, taking a new vehicle to where it is not supported is dangerous. Find out what 4x4 you can readily rent and consider that.

Nissan Pathfinder
Toyota Landcruiser

I see no Jeep Wranglers for rent

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would go Basesquatch. Minimum electronics. Maximum offroad capability

OP
OP
l00semarble

l00semarble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
well on the surface there is merit in saying to order with warrantybut let’s think about it. First isthst a car with warranty there will cost 52% more than same car I can bring down on this one time special program. Again let’s look at the $50k car example. For me to get that same car with warranty there would cost $76,000. Am I really going to get $26,000 of benefit from the warranty? Unlikely.

2nd is that any warranty work would likely have to be done in San Jose which is 3.5hours drive from my house. I’m not going to be popping into the dealer for piddly warrant shit.

so while your answer makes sense in most cases my buying situation differs a bit from most.

Slater

Badlands
First Name
Just Slater
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soul crushing Camry now cancled out by Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll never forget my trip in Costa Rica. I remember all the taxi drivers said the same thing, “Costa Rican’s can see through mountains.” Meaning they drive into oncoming traffic through a blind turn. Whatever you get, get brush guards and really good insurance.
Sponsored