Help me spec rig for my house in Costa Rica

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like you are aiming for a BD, Squatch. But looks like you already figured that out above.
The main difference to BadLands gets you the disconnect swaybar and ability to add higher trim packages with speakers, display size, whatnot.
If those two things aren't important, then BD is the way to go, in my opinion. It's a good value for what you get.
Kinda jealous over the relocation to CR, definitely, 100% would love to see pics, keep in touch.
We have considered a few places to retire to, CR not being one yet. But might not be a bad idea.
Sponsored

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

well already have bulletproof Series 80 Land Cruiser diesel there totally rigged for duty. If I have to tow the Ford or if it breaks I have a backup.

thanks for reply.

E6708705-EA9D-4EE7-B7C8-6687FEDFB7B6.jpeg
Well, in that case, go for it. I like the Basesquatch idea, but would probably opt for the Badlands in your case.

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Black diamond. With Sasquatch pkg
understood. Then I'd say Black Diamond stock if you don't have the extra $$ for the Sas., or concerned about extra width, but if you have the funds and size doesn't matter, then I'd go with Sas. Black Diamond. That would be unstoppable and the wash out interior would last much longer in the humid climate with lots of rain and where most of the "fun" spots are down a muddy road. And you may want to option a winch if you plan to go down towards Corcovado or over to the Caribbean side. Probably some extra gas cans too since the stations are few and far between once you get out of the populated areas....and knowing the Bronco tank isn't that big.

Last edited:

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I guess I really did not communicate well.
Itā€™s not you. This site is just full of Karens like everywhere else online. They canā€™t help but ignore your actual question because theyā€™re too busy wagging their fingers at you.

But you def want the MGV, so itā€™s either Black Diamond or Badlands. Go for the Badlands for the electronic disconnecting sway bar. Sounds like you want the best, but Iā€™d say the High Package is sufficient and includes the bigger screen with 360 cameras youā€™ll want while traversing the rocky road up to your place.

Do you need/want the B&O sound system, or the heated steering wheel, or the USB ports on the dash? If not, stick with the High Package, Iā€™d say on a Badlands with the 2.7. Squatch it and done.

Enjoy Costa Rica!

Last edited:

BoostedBronco

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I can't give you any advice on the Bronco but congrats on the upcoming move to CR. I haven't stayed in Uvita but have been to Dominical and love it down there. You'll be living the dream down there...SXS, Land cruiser, new Bronco...endless trails and beaches to explore....hope to be sitting in Cafe Mono Congo one morning in Dominical having a cup of coffee and see you pull up in your Bronco.

Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I appreciate all the advice about why not to bring a Bronco. Iā€™m familiarwitht the challenges of living in Costa Rica. I have a bullet proof Land Bruiser diesel.

letā€™s just say that if I decided to be dumb and bring a Bronco how should I spec it. The thread is not developing the way I was hopingā€¦.lol.
OMG you're obviously such a NEWB to B6G!!! Ask a question and get flamed BRO! Get with it already. LOL.

I have a question for you actually. I bought land in CR a few years back and have now lost it to squatters. My wife's family (they live there) told me I am SOL and should forget about it. Do you know of anything I might be able to do to get the land back? I was hoping to keep the land to build a place to stay in the future.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting thread.

@I00semarble, how will you do any repairs if/when needed? If you run into problems down there (say a rat or mouse chews up some elecronics and you need service/repairs) what is the plan to get them done? Is there Ford support at the very least?

Forgive my ignorance, I have not been to CR. Bonaire, Belize, but not CR.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the thoughts. Already got the SxS covered (2021 Yamaha RMAX 1000 4-seater) which is a great vehicle and does actually overlap quite a bit with the theoretical Bronco purchase because in Costa RIca the SxS is steet legal so can be used for everyday driving around and is exactly what we use for quick runs to town for groceries or to the beach etc.

The one thing about the SxS that can get annoying especially if doing a few miles along the coast road to another town etc is that it is LOUD as hell. Like crazy loud. Just takes something away from the ability to use is as a casual daily driver.

20210722_135137.jpg
The SxS sounds like the perfect vehicle for your needs, except for the dB level of the exhaust.

So here is a serious question for you: Can't you just add a muffler to the SxS, or at the very least, wear earplugs while driving it?

Musicians and motorcyclists have been using ear plugs to prevent hearing loss for decades. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Ford Bronco Help me spec rig for my house in Costa Rica Hearos Ear Plugs

Bradyrufenacht

Outer Banks
First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Im a n00b just getting interested in a Bronco after realizing that it may be the best vehicle I can purchase for my needs. Iā€™m thinking about placing an order when possible for a 2022.

Here is the dealā€¦.I am moving to Costa Rica in next 1-2 years. They recently announced a new import tax exemption for 2 vehicles if/when you apply for residency. This is a big deal because taxes are minimum of 52% of the value of vehicle. A $50k Bronco would cost $75k In Costa Rica. Which means if I bring down a $50k Bronco it will be worth $75k locally when I get it there.

so here are some buying considerations that may differ quite a bit from many here. Just thought it may be a fun exercise to have those who know more about the various configurations and who have gone round and round with buying choices to help me.

I want to spec best choices from Ford but I will also add any aftermarket stuff that makes sense. I need to get everything done that I may want because once I ship the car mods will be 100x more difficult Down there.

• my house is in Uvita in the remote South Pacific area. To get to house requires a high clearance 4x4. The road up is a steep climb from beach to 1,400ft elevation. Road is rough and frequently eroded With ruts and large loose stones
  • Bronco will be offroaded as a daily driver. Water crossings are frequent. Mud/sand a daily part of driving just to get places.
  • I will go ā€œwheelingā€ for fun but also need off-road ability just to explore and get around. driving up to house is off-roading but it becomes just a chore, not a recreation. Rutted, big stones, shaky/jiggly ride would like to be as comfortable at highest speeds possible.
  • I want the car to be a beast with plenty of overhead in capability because you can get into situations down there that you have to get out of by yourself.
  • Jungle wheeling is lower speed trail work, water crossings, mud etc. I wont be crawling rock gardens or running Baja style high speed.
  • roads are very steep and narrow so power (actually torque) is important.
  • since bronco will be imported to Costa Rica no warranty will be in effect
  • Parts and service will be very difficult to find. The Most reliable drivetrain and most durable configuration is desirable.
  • I am a huge fan a manual transmissions Just because I enjoy them. will prefer manual but seems it may limit other choices
  • I would always choose more power over less all other things being equal.
  • purchase price and fuel economy not important. Aftermarket expenses not important. Iā€™ll spend what I need to to get the right car for the job.
  • mostvdriving will be done below 45 mph
  • i will run without doors and side windows most of the time but will want top for shade much of the time.
  • I will likely let rain hit the car without doors and side windows when it rains which it does biblically in rainy season but not too often in dry season.
  • in dry season dust can be extensive.
  • will be parked indoors at house
  • need secure lockable storage for beach etc ( aftermarket?)
  • would like Safari style roof rack/basket maybe with pelican case bolted on to keep recovery gear. will frequently haul surf boards and maybe kayaks etc
  • need winch
  • need armor on front, rear, undersides and rock sliders
  • ill go nuts with lighting. I can run anything I want there. Will do huge Rigid light bar and etc.
  • 35ā€ min tires but probably will go bigger with true mud tires
  • lockers mandatory
  • prefer 4 door
  • would like tow hitch for utility trailer and maybe wave runners.
so I know this is a long first post. What do you think? i know the ā€˜22 order guides are not out yet but what should I order?
As much as I love the new Bronco, I wouldn't want to deal with one down there. Maintenance/ warranty will be a bugger. Find yourself a mid 2000's Defender 110 and modify it. Parts are easy there and everyone works on them. Plus, you will spend a lot less even after extensive modifications. One of those "when in Rome, do as the Romans" things. If you really want a Bronco, wait a year or 2 to get as many bugs out of them first. Just my opinion though. Good luck

Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

thank you for toughts and suggestions. I agree that the trade-off of power/torque for the manual may not be worth it but...then again....how many more chances will we have to buy a manual??

The only problem with basesquatch is the carpet. I really think I need the rubber interior. Can the carpet be removed and rubber is under it?
That I can't answer for certain. I have heard that there is a drain plug under the carpet, but think it might just be the metal pan.

As for a manual Sasquatch, that is at least a 2022. Another thought would just be the base build of the Badlands, you would have the lockers, axle disconnect and the guts of the Sasquatch suspension. It would "only" have 33s, but that may be better.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2021badlands bronco bob

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
T

This is why I discounted the Defender. the Bronco is low tech in comparison to some top range Defenders.

and I should have said I have a Toyota diesel and I am interested in bringing in an interesting 2nd/3rd fun car With this rare opportunity to import for free.
Ok ā€¦ here you go. 2dr badlands,2.7, Sas, aftermarket alum front and rear bumpers, aluminum skid plates, and all the off road goodies to put in the back of it. Donā€™t forget the lockable 2 drawer storage for the back . Also satellite communication. For me if I canā€™t have carry a gun I wound not go. šŸ¤£ šŸ’£

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love the Bronco, but have to say you should find out what is the best ride in Costa Rica is for the locals and go that way unless you can find a Ford dealer ahead of time and get in their good graces. This is not an "if" I have trouble. That rough a daily drive means you are def. going to be breaking shit.
OK, so he called himself a n00b and then laid this out " well already have bulletproof Series 80 Land Cruiser diesel there totally rigged for duty. If I have to tow the Ford or if it breaks I have a backup. "

Go wayward son and buy thee a Badlands properly Squatched and amaze the locals with your overpowering presence! Winches, jacks, and gas cans, oh my! (Saith Dorothy.)

OP
OP
l00semarble

l00semarble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3, ā€˜93 Land Cruiser, e400 wagon, GT3RS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OK, so he called himself a n00b and then laid this out " well already have bulletproof Series 80 Land Cruiser diesel there totally rigged for duty. If I have to tow the Ford or if it breaks I have a backup. "

Go wayward son and buy thee a Badlands properly Squatched and amaze the locals with your overpowering presence! Winches, jacks, and gas cans, oh my! (Saith Dorothy.)
dude....I'm a Bronco n00b. I've only recently gotten interested in a Bronco. Otherwise I have been around the block a few times. The thread was posted in a Bronco forum asking about spec'ing a Bronco should I decide to bring one to CR.
Sponsored