Sponsored

Help my Uncle IRA out with vehicle suggestions........Update: he finally bought a vehicle.

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually his name is Tom but I, behind his back refer to him as Uncle IRA because my retirement situation is drastically different upon inheritance. Tongue in cheek. I don't want him to die. My dad died 3 years ago. His brother Tom has never been married, no kids and is 71 years old. Federal guidelines mean he has to start taking money from his IRA which he says is pointless because he doesn't need it. His yearly cash out could buy two nice vehicles. I meet him once a week for dinner out and we talk cars amongst other things. He may finally be ready to purchase a new vehicle. He currently drives a 2003 Ford Ranger with a cap. He is an avid bicycle rider that travels the country to do long trips.. Like travelling across whole states type bike rides When I was 13 he took me with him to do RAGBRAI. We basically road across Iowa in 6 days.

He needs a vehicle that can hold his bike preferably without taking off the front tire. I asked him about rear bike racks and he doesn't trust them??? I said I don't see a bunch of bikes randomly strewn across the highway but he is a bit odd and set is his ways so no bike racks. Also he would like to be able to sleep in it if it comes to that. Transit makes perfect sense but being the obvious ladies man that he is (I have never known him to have a girlfriend or boyfriend in my 52 years) it does not look cool to drive a van or mini van??? Not sure why he cares. Anyways, he is a Ford guy. I pointed him in the direction of Bronco Sport. Too small he says. He was definitely looking at the Expedition but thinks it may be too big. New Ranger is out. He wants a 6' bed. He won't consider an F150 for whatever reason I haven't been able to pin down. He is seriously considering an Explorer.

Yes I can be long winded so getting to the point. I think he would consider other brands of vehicles. Any suggestions for a vehicle that can stow his bike and light gear, sleep in it if needed, and looks cool enough for a dorky 71 year old dude? Possibly Bronco 4 door but he has to see it, touch it, drive it before buying. Where should I direct him?
Sponsored

Last edited:

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes I can be long winded so getting to the point. I think he would consider other brands of vehicles. Any suggestions for a vehicle that can stow his bike and light gear, sleep in it if needed, and looks cool enough for a dorky 71 year old dude? Possibly Bronco 4 door but he has to see it, touch it, drive it before buying. Where should I direct him?
As it stands today the 4dr won't be the most comfortable to sleep in (barring a interior hammock setup) because the seats don't fold completely flat with the trunk floor.

However, people are expecting the aftermarket to remedy that.

If I were your Uncle I'd be getting a badass van. Truthfully, the Transit with the 3.5 Ecoboost is comical to drive. A billboard sized vehicle has no business accelerating that quickly.

Ford Bronco Help my Uncle IRA out with vehicle suggestions........Update: he finally bought a vehicle. 1622814216396

Ford Bronco Help my Uncle IRA out with vehicle suggestions........Update: he finally bought a vehicle. 1622814276818

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The explorer is pretty nice. I’d get the ST if I were getting one though.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco Sport sounds more fitting for this situation.

Sponsored

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am a "cyclist" and have both a 'road' and 'mountain' bikes that I take to ride meetups. While I do have a Yakima DR2 (3) Tray hitch mounted carrier that works great for a really dirty bike after trail riding, I sometimes prefer to carry my road bike in the safety and security of my SUV. (For anyone not in cycling, these can be VERY expensive and not something you want to leave out for theft, or the elements - my two little carbon wheels for the roadie were double the price of the four 17" wheels of my BMW Z3, as an example).

I had a Volvo XC90, and it fit well inside, fully intact. Any larger SUV should be able to carry his bikes with the rear seat(s) down. I am currently in a temporary Jeep 4dr JLU and it fits there as well, so it doesn't have to be a 3 row behemoth. I have a friend with a nice Audi. Another friend has a minivan that is like a rolling bike shop - he can keep the bike standing upright in a bike stand and still store a lot of stuff. For him, he needs the van space for his business, so it makes sense.

Depends upon his style - I'd take my bike to the various dealers and 'try it out' on the ones that he would like to own. Lots of choices. He can always have a hitch mounted rack available for when he needs the room inside and is okay with the bike outside. I just don't recommend the roof mounting - that is a big lift for anyone, let alone a 70+ YO, and eventually you forget the bike is up there and you don't want to see what happens then... ;)

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like he's decided he doesn't want most of the options.

Also sounds like appearance is a major concern. Take him to a dealership and show him a bunch of vehicles.

OP
OP
WCP-82

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the Bronco Sport would have been perfect. He said he looked at one and it was too small. He looked at the Kia Carnival but looks like a mini van so that is out. He is stuck on not wanting to drive a mini van.

I too have suggested he take his bike to the dealership and find what works.

His bikes are very expensive as mds5917 attests.

I think he is most likely to go with the explorer. He won't ever be going off road. He only bikes on roadways.

I don't think he has ever paid more than $15,000 for a vehicle. His 2003 Ranger was bought used 15 years ago. He may be indecisive because he doesn't want to spend the money.

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Maybe a used Honda Element or a custom interior van since he needs to withdraw all that money. Is he not allowed to just put it into a savings account or buy stocks/bonds with that money?

OP
OP
WCP-82

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe a used Honda Element or a custom interior van since he needs to withdraw all that money. Is he not allowed to just put it into a savings account or buy stocks/bonds with that money?
Yes he can put it anywhere he wants. We are talking a mandatory withdraw of about $80k a year for the next 20 years. I told him he needs to have some fun because you can't take it with you. He responded that there just isn't much he cares to do. He really needs to just treat himself to a new car. One he really wants. Because he got COVID relief money (they don't count his assets just income) he put into his old Ranger to get some more years out of it. He has that much invested because he never spends. But damn at some point get absolutely what you want and not worry about the price. He told me what happens in 5 years if he doesn't like it or things change. I'm like sell it and get something else?

Sponsored

Toastedtostito

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Actually his name is Tom but I, behind his back refer to him as Uncle IRA because my retirement situation is drastically different upon inheritance. Tongue in cheek. I don't want him to die. My dad died 3 years ago. His brother Tom has never been married, no kids and is 71 years old. Federal guidelines mean he has to start taking money from his IRA which he says is pointless because he doesn't need it. His yearly cash out could buy two nice vehicles. I meet him once a week for dinner out and we talk cars amongst other things. He may finally be ready to purchase a new vehicle. He currently drives a 2003 Ford Ranger with a cap. He is an avid bicycle rider that travels the country to do long trips.. Like travelling across whole states type bike rides When I was 13 he took me with him to do RAGBRAI. We basically road across Iowa in 6 days.

He needs a vehicle that can hold his bike preferably without taking off the front tire. I asked him about rear bike racks and he doesn't trust them??? I said I don't see a bunch of bikes randomly strewn across the highway but he is a bit odd and set is his ways so no bike racks. Also he would like to be able to sleep in it if it comes to that. Transit makes perfect sense but being the obvious ladies man that he is (I have never known him to have a girlfriend or boyfriend in my 52 years) it does not look cool to drive a van or mini van??? Not sure why he cares. Anyways, he is a Ford guy. I pointed him in the direction of Bronco Sport. Too small he says. He was definitely looking at the Expedition but thinks it may be too big. New Ranger is out. He wants a 6' bed. He won't consider an F150 for whatever reason I haven't been able to pin down. He is seriously considering an Explorer.

Nissan xterra. 2nd generation. I sleep in mine all the time as well as can fit my road and mountain bike in there. Plus it's super cool for a 71 year old dude. Also, they aren't to techy or expensive. It pretty much the right choice haha.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

there's van and then there's van, like the above posted cool van conversions. That might be something? They look cool, he'll have plenty space to sleep in it and park more than one bike too. Not sure you can get that for $15k though, but if I'd be at that age and had that hobby to travel all over and occasionally sleep in the car, I'd go for one of those. They don't look like a 'van' anymore.

Otherwise I'd go with a 4runner.

Td66

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You wrote:
He wants a 6' bed. He won't consider an F150 for whatever reason I haven't been able to pin down. He is seriously considering an Explorer.
I think at his age he may be considering safety before utility, but the bike rack is a must. Have you two considered the Lincoln Aviator, almost a Ford. Its luxury, big enough, to carry a bike, but comfortable, to make long trips for his biking schedule. Also, maybe consider the new VW van. I know its a van, but I bet he would like the idea, as it fits his generation. Hell, I like it and I'm just outside the baby boomer generation. Regardless, his vehicle is out there; just may taking some test driving to convince him which is best for his needs. I hate to suggest this, but Subaru Forrester is also a good choice for a multiple of reasons. Good luck finding his next ride!

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Second the Honda Element. I get my bike in and out of it.
the back seats fold flat, fold up against sides, easily come out - hard to explain but a neat bit of engineering.
Available in AWD.
Have quite a cult following…hell, people live out of them.
Not made anymore but well supported by Honda.
Ive actually gotten calls from my Honda dealership asking if I’m interested in selling - it’s on their “hot used sales list”.
Owned these days by the “cool kids”

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive actually gotten calls from my Honda dealership asking if I’m interested in selling - it’s on their “hot used sales list”.
Owned these days by the “cool kids”
Old dealer scam, they send/call everyone in their database no matter what the vehicle and tell them their (insert vehicle) is in high demand, they promise 'extra incentives' only available for that model), so they can get used inventory to sell and get you in the dealership to look at new vehicles. Then they run the numbers and fleece you while you have the mindset that you are getting a good deal because your 'hot used model' is in such demand.
Sponsored