Sponsored

Help Planning Mini Vaca to Austin Off Roadeo Trip! San Antonio Too?

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm going to the Off Roadeo some time in March. I'd like to visit Austin and San Antonio and don't know the area at all. I see the Off Roadeo is about an hour out from Austin, same as San Antonio. I'm thinking of flying from FL to Austin, rent a car, spend 2 days and then drive down to San Antonio. Spend a day there? Then a day to Off Roadeo and head home. Does that sound about right? What should i not miss?
Sponsored

Sarconus

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hola, yes we have several sites to see. Downtown river walk, the Alamo, a few musesums and Pearl Brewery area which is really cool with some nice dining options. You can also check out Enchanted rock if you like to some some walking and climbing and the Missions of course.

We also have the Snake farm off I-35 coming from Austin. They have done a lot of work on the enclosures past few years and its really nice little private owned place you can pet animals etc. We also have safari drive through but a bit pricey and Natural Bridge Caverns.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm going to the Off Roadeo some time in March. I'd like to visit Austin and San Antonio and don't know the area at all. I see the Off Roadeo is about an hour out from Austin, same as San Antonio. I'm thinking of flying from FL to Austin, rent a car, spend 2 days and then drive down to San Antonio. Spend a day there? Then a day to Off Roadeo and head home. Does that sound about right? What should i not miss?
Make sure you visit atleast one of the many hole in the wall, excellent hill country BBQ joints. Can't go to this part of the country and not do that.

OP
OP
reigny

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

R
Make sure you visit atleast one of the many hole in the wall, excellent hill country BBQ joints. Can't go to this part of the country and not do that.
I absolutely would not miss that!

Sponsored
OP
OP
reigny

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hola, yes we have several sites to see. Downtown river walk, the Alamo, a few musesums and Pearl Brewery area which is really cool with some nice dining options. You can also check out Enchanted rock if you like to some some walking and climbing and the Missions of course.

We also have the Snake farm off I-35 coming from Austin. They have done a lot of work on the enclosures past few years and its really nice little private owned place you can pet animals etc. We also have safari drive through but a bit pricey and Natural Bridge Caverns.
That sounds awesome.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Last edited:

76FordBronco

Badlands
First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hit up Gruene, Tx. it is between SA and Austin and is part of New Braunfels. https://www.gruenetexas.com/
Texas Pride BBQ in Adkins just outside of SA. Depending on the day may have live music. https://www.texaspridebbq.net/
Freiheit Country Store great burgers and beer! https://www.freiheitcountrystore.net/
Luckenbach is about 45 mins to an hour from Austin/SA. https://www.luckenbachtexas.com/
Drive on up to Fredericksburg from there. https://www.visitfredericksburgtx.com/
Austin is good for live music in the downtown area.

I lived in SA area for 4 years. Would ride the Harley to these places and haul the 76 Bronco up to Mason, Tx to rock crawl at K2. https://katemcyrocks.com/

Ween

Black Diamond
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
🛰
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pedernales Falls, Reimer’s Ranch, Hamilton Pool, and Enchanted Rock are all worth checking out for sure

Sponsored

BlueBronco1969

First Edition
First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Ford Bronco (Blue)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

2M Barbecue. East San Antonio. Have a brisket taco with their homemade pico. And chicharrones Mac and Cheese. It’s off the beaten path but you won’t regret. This is a level above Salt Lick/Texas Pride.

Also, if you’re on the Riverwalk: find “The Esquire Tavern”.

South Alamo: drinks at Frances Bogside, dinner at Maverick.

The bar at Hotel Emma: named a top hotel in the US by NY Times. At the Pearl Brewery.

If you have time after seeing the Alamo, go to Mission San Jose which is much more in its original state and provides a MUCH truer sense of how the working mission/quarters/fort would have been defended.

Last edited:

76FordBronco

Badlands
First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

peewee.gif

If you're a history buff, there's a lot of historical stuff in the downtown San Antonio area, as well as the missions around town.
If you go to the Alamo, don't ask the Rangers to see the basement! Trust me, they don't think it is funny!! :unsure::ROFLMAO::sneaky:

Sarconus

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh yea and Salt Lick for BBQ. They have the original pit there and the Ribs are yum yum.

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I live in South Texas so with that said, Gruene, Tx is fun and the tourist area has a lot of different kinds of shops. I'm not a fan of the river walk. The restaurants on the walk are average and it's hot as hell in the summer and the river looks dirty. In Austin the best hamburger place (my son lives in Austin) is Jew Boys. It is owned by jewish people so no offense. The BBQ place that my son raves about is Micklethwait (and Terry Black's it great also). Micklethwait, 1309 Rosewood Ave serves until they run out of food.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2M Barbecue. East San Antonio. Have a brisket taco with their homemade pico. And chicharrones Mac and Cheese. It’s off the beaten path but you won’t regret. This is a level above Salt Lick/Texas Pride.

Also, if you’re on the Riverwalk: find “The Esquire Tavern”.

South Alamo: drinks at Frances Bogside, dinner at Maverick.

The bar at Hotel Emma: named a top hotel in the US by NY Times. At the Pearl Brewery.

If you have time after seeing the Alamo, go to Mission San Jose which is much more in its original state and provides a MUCH truer sense of how the working mission/quarters/fort would have been defended.
2M is cool and unique, but IMO South BBQ is a bit better, however, I'm not sure if they're open for sit down dining atm.

I would recommend NOT eating at Pinkertons downtown. IMO its WAY overpriced and the brisket bark is a bit harsh.
To each their own tho ;)
Sponsored