Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I've got a dilemma. My time to order has come and I cannot decide what to get.

I'm stuck between a 2.7 Big Bend with the Sasquatch Package and an OBX with the High Package but no Sasquatch.

All other options are pretty much equal.

This car will be my daily driver and family vehicle for the time being. I drive approximately 60 to 90 miles a day.

I dont need the advice that "if your driving that much consider something else." I've made my choice and accepted the consequences.

I can afford to daily drive this vehicle either way. That said, I'm curious for some input on fuel efficiency between the sasquatch and non-sasquatch. I've seen numbers all over the board from 15 mpg to 18+ mpg.

Could you all chime in with your numbers, your engine type and fuel type (i.e. 87, 88, 91, 93, etc.)

It could go a long way to help me. Thank you all in advance! I appreciate you all.
Sponsored

A51Asheville

Black Diamond
First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Sas Mid Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth: Avoid the Sas if you're not taking it off roading. The OBX will have the creature comforts where as the BB with sas will eat into your MPG. You would likely enjoy the Daily Driver feel of the OBX more than the BB with Sas.

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The wheels on OBX are the biggest detractor from this decision. I get the thinking of getting to a trim with the big screen but I personally hate those wheels. Then again I also started with a BB in mind and ended up ordering a BL with high and SAS…

OP
OP
Skeletor

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The wheels on OBX are the biggest detractor from this decision. I get the thinking of getting to a trim with the big screen but I personally hate those wheels. Then again I also started with a BB in mind and ended up ordering a BL with high and SAS…
I hate the wheels too, and so does the wife. I guess those are easier to change out eventually.

If I don't go sas, I'd like to at least go up to 33's on it. I dont know how tough that is on 18" wheels.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Skeletor

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Those are radically different setups.

If I didn't anticipate needing 35s, 4.70 gears, and lockers, there'd be no possible way I'd pay for them.

Get the OBX.
Yeah. I dont know how much off reading I'll do. I might do a little, but it's not been something I've done to this point in my life.

I like the look of the 35's more than the 32's. I really don't like those OBX rims.

brentutk

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Personally, go for the big bend with mid package and sasquatch. I decided against any package higher than mid and think the investment in the 2.7 and sasquatch is better than an investment in what the OBX is offering. You can even add the signature lights to big bend if desired. The Big Bend sasquatch will look like a classic bronco.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You can replace the rims and tires much cheaper than paying for the SAS package. I like the looks of the SAS. But if I have to choose looks or comfort- I’ll choose comfort.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2.3 OBX and at just over 1000 miles I am at 19.3 around town. You put your foot in it just a little and it goes with the 87 I run. No issue with power. Tires will give you a quieter and smoother ride too. You can always tweak the tire selection to get the look you want.
Add advanced 4x4 in case you need it later.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your stated use makes it easy to answer, and you know it. OBX. The fact that you are looking at the BB/SQ means you simply want one. Nothing wrong with that of course. Have you considered splitting the difference and going with the OBX with A4 transfer case? Gets you the better gearing on and off road (4.27) and the lower 4L, also nets you the rear locker along with that auto 4wd. That will get you anywhere you have the nards to try getting to... $1600 I think it works out to be.

Sponsored

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Since you are driving a decent amount, I would go with the the LUX package. The Adaptive Cruise control on my other cars (which is a similar version to what the Bronco uses) is my favorite freeway feature. You also get the upgraded stereo. Aftermarket Upgrade the rims to 17 inch methods and 33 inch tires and I think you will be happy. Consider an all terrain tire rather than a mud terrain and the tire noise and daily ride will be a little better.

Diydner

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here is what I based my decision off of... What can I easily change later? Wheels and tires are easy modifications. Think through all the features you like of both, and which of those can you change later, or never get.

Personally Im going with an OBX Luv w/2.7 because those are all things that are nearly impossible, or very expensive, to add later.

*Going with the OBX cause the painted mirror caps, painted handles, and I like the interior better.

When comparing MPGs, keep in mind the elevation differences between where you are, and your source.

Hope this helps

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the look of the 35's more than the 32's. I really don't like those OBX rims.
I initially hated the OBX wheels too. But I think a big part of why they look goofy is the soccer mom tires.

Members here have simply swapped their OBX tires with 32-33" K02s, and IMO they look awesome. The OBX wheel design itself kind of reminds me of certain factory JK Jeep Rubicon rims, and with the right tires they actually look cool, IMO.

ETA: From the wheel and tire thread, 275/70/18 KO2s (sorry, I don't remember whose this was, but I think it looks good):
Ford Bronco Help with Purchasing Decision Front tire obx

Last edited:

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can replace the rims and tires much cheaper than paying for the SAS package. I like the looks of the SAS. But if I have to choose looks or comfort- I’ll choose comfort.
So lets do some maths. Use $1600 to $1800 for tires and $1500 or so for regular rims. Add in re calibrating for tire size an you are sitting at $3500. Then add a proper lift (not a rough country) of some sort, your at $4500 or better.

OR $4500 for Sasquatch and you get proper size axles, Billstien shocks, a lift, beadlock rims, under amour, and correct gearing for bigger tires. I think your a tad off on what you think is cheaper or the way to go when it comes to the Sasquatch package. If you want bigger tires Sasquatch is the ONLY way to go price wise. Sure you can go the other way, but don't kid yourself that your saving money or that it can wheel like a Sasquatch.

I think a lot of people are having buyers remorse after wanting their Broncos as fast as possible so they went the soft top, 2.3L, non Sas route.

OP
OP
Skeletor

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your stated use makes it easy to answer, and you know it. OBX. The fact that you are looking at the BB/SQ means you simply want one. Nothing wrong with that of course. Have you considered splitting the difference and going with the OBX with A4 transfer case? Gets you the better gearing on and off road (4.27) and the lower 4L, also nets you the rear locker along with that auto 4wd. That will get you anywhere you have the nards to try getting to... $1600 I think it works out to be.
Yeah. I think you are right. I dont need the sas, but I like the look of the bigger tires.

The OBX is probably the more practical choice for what I'm going to use it for most of the time. We do go camping a few times a year, and winter in WV required 4wd at times. However, if I do go off road, it'll more than likely be rutty roads not rocks.
Sponsored