mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m not sure why anyone would try to sway someone to 32s over 35s. Around my area 35s are entry level to off-road else your just going to get stuck in ruts ever 50 yards. I’ve daily driven 37s for years and my truck handles and drives perfectly, I didn’t lift so no major suspension geometry changes, I run them at 36PSI, so super smooth ride. I changed my gears and actually get better gas mileage than the truck did on stock tires. Truck handles all weather conditions perfectly.
Because all the overlander guys think its cool to do trails with the smallest tire possible ,like the guys that fish with 3lb test.
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been towing (about 5600 lbs) on 35 AT's (and 1.5 " lift) for over 20 years. Someone tell me when the bearings, tie rods, and ball joints are supposed to go. Haven't needed replacements on any of them (and ball joints are the same one's that were in it when I got it, 25ish years ago).

The new 4 door is about the same size as this and is designed from the get go for at min 33's. Hard to believe there is going to be any issue with anything, especially limited to towing 3500 and no snow plowing. Will be a couple who break them by pure massive abuse offroad, but that's expected.

20150905_181217a.jpg
Nice Bronco and Boat, bumming me out my new Bronco can't tow my boat ?

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

... I think the Australian comparison I watched a couple days ago was pretty good, and had a different contrast on 35's and 33's. ...
Assuming I am thinking of the same video (which I admittedly have not rewatched recently), the biggest drawback with the larger tires was less torque which resulted in slower starts and a feeling of less power. For their testing, the same vehicle and axle ratios were used for all the tests. It goes without saying, that if you increase the tire size without changing anything else, you will lose torque. With the Bronco, the axle ratio varies with the tire size and MT vs AT. That is why I think you are best off to order your Bronco with the tire size you think you'll want. When you do so, you'll be getting the axle ratio that Ford engineers think will best complement your vehicle. The one exception might be the BL where it appears you can get the 4.7 (intended for 35s) even if you get the 33s.

For myself, I am debating:
  • BL non-squatch with the 4.7. This will mean I will have to change very little to switch to 35s. Perhaps I make that decision once it is time to replace the 33s. I doubt I will have the guts to take my brand new rig on any trails that really require 35s.
  • BL squatch. Just make the plunge and start with 35s right out of the gate.
For any trim level lower than BL, I think that squatch is a no-brainer if you intend to use a Bronco for real offroading. 30s - 32s will be fine for gravel roads and easy to moderate offroad trails (which probably will be fine for 95% of the Broncos that get built), but the other 5% will want something larger.

TurboS957

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think everyone should get the base tires and wheels except me. This way I will have a custom one off looking Bronco without the expense of adding a lift and 37's or larger tires.

Joking aside, my F350 is our best riding vehicle we own with 325/60/20 BFG AT E2 load range tires with 65psi. Mounted on the Ford OEM Alcoa forged alum wheels, ride matched tire to wheel, resulting in remarkable smoothness. The Sasquatch pkg will be engineered for the additional tire size and weight, it also will be remarkably smooth.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Been towing (about 5600 lbs) on 35 AT's (and 1.5 " lift) for over 20 years. Someone tell me when the bearings, tie rods, and ball joints are supposed to go. Haven't needed replacements on any of them (and ball joints are the same one's that were in it when I got it, 25ish years ago).

The new 4 door is about the same size as this and is designed from the get go for at min 33's. Hard to believe there is going to be any issue with anything, especially limited to towing 3500 and no snow plowing. Will be a couple who break them by pure massive abuse offroad, but that's expected.

20150905_181217a.jpg
Lol that's because the majority of people who comment on here knocking 35s have never run anything bigger than a 225/60 on a sport sedan in a big city. They know enough to be dangerous. The excuses are never ending (the extra rolling mass is harder to slow down, you need to install a big brake kit, it puts wear on ball joints, it puts wear on tie rods, it puts wear on wheel bearings, they ride rough, they don't perform in bad weather, it puts wear on the CVs, the tire noise is bad, it might make me look masculine and my wife can't handle a masculine looking husband, etc.). Would you like me to go one because I can? I daresay most of the naysayers are city dwellers (no offense) who have probably never even seen a dirt road before in their lives and they probably reserved an OBX to top it off lol (no offense). /S

Likewise, I have consistently ran 33"+ on my trucks for years now and have never, ever had any issues with premature wear on suspension and braking components.

Sponsored

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Hummer H2 came with 35" 's and this week I went off roading with a friend who was driving one and it was great. Handled well on and off road.
Hummer / Tahoe has 8 lug wheels, although they mixed in many half ton parts, they were a big full sized American Truck - say 10% larger - the 33's would be equivalent in new Bronco.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just put 35s on my Gladiator (the smallest tire that looks good on them IMHO). I took some time choosing the tire and went with one that was only 3lbs heavier than the stock. The only difference I could tell was in the steering. The steering was slightly less light than stock, due to the larger contact patch of the tire. Otherwise, breaking and acceleration differences were unnoticeable. Although, I am sure it did accelerate a smidge slower. I just couldn't tell.

I am going 35s on the Bronco for sure. The looks alone would make up for any disadvantages. The extra grip and clearance will be nice when needed.

IMG_1074.JPEG

focaloca95

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Ram, 2023 Bronco Sport Heritage Limited
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Lol that's because the majority of people who comment on here knocking 35s have never run anything bigger than a 225/60 on a sport sedan in a big city. They know enough to be dangerous. The excuses are never ending (the extra rolling mass is harder to slow down, you need to install a big brake kit, it puts wear on ball joints, it puts wear on tie rods, it puts wear on wheel bearings, they ride rough, they don't perform in bad weather, it puts wear on the CVs, the tire noise is bad, it might make me look masculine and my wife can't handle a masculine looking husband, etc.). Would you like me to go one because I can? I daresay most of the naysayers are city dwellers (no offense) who have probably never even seen a dirt road before in their lives and they probably reserved an OBX to top it off lol (no offense). /S

Likewise, I have consistently ran 33"+ on my trucks for years now and have never, ever had any issues with premature wear on suspension and braking components.
Will us OBX'ers still be treated like red-headed step children if we're seen on the trails, even if we're fully squatched? I'm forced to get it b/c it has the dash/upholstery options I'm looking for. BTW I definitely fit the OBX stereotype... I'm definitely a wheelin' neophyte.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Will us OBX'ers still be treated like red-headed step children if we're seen on the trails, even if we're fully squatched? I'm forced to get it b/c it has the dash/upholstery options I'm looking for. BTW I definitely fit the OBX stereotype... I'm definitely a wheelin' neophyte.
You can bet your ass the OBXers will always be treated poorly lol. You're okay in my book as long as it is Squatched though. So, I'll give you a pass. Just swap the badges and nobody will be the wiser for it.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Preach it, I am getting 37"s and fishing with dynamite! No wimpy practical tires and challenging fishing line for me, no sir-re!

Damn city dwellers (no offense of course).

Oh wait, never mind, I am the city dweller type, who hunted and fished, drove 2wd's to places where youtubers brag about now.

OBX will look cool wherever you take it. Mansquatch will be cool, the Badlands will be cool, etc. Its a Bronco, they are inherently cool, right?

Sponsored

JKHamm

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The bottom line is get what you want, most people who have actually had 35s on a 4x4 like them...people who haven’t make post after post saying they’re a bad idea. If the truck is a toy / weekend vehicle...the 35s all day long every time. If it’s a daily driver, then the decision is tougher.

I will say a lot more people buy a Jeep and wish they had bigger tires than buy one and wish they were smaller...probably by a factor of 10.
09 Jeep JK Rubicon with 35x12.5s, daily driver, weekend warrior, I wouldn’t change a thing. I have owned many Jeeps, stock tires, 31x10.5 and now 35x12.5, if you are a capable driver you will be fine. I drove the JK 12 hours to Colorado to do some wheeling, not the most comfortable way to spend 12 hours but we made it. Now I flat tow it behind a Motorhome to be more comfortable.

Artie

Wildtrak
First Name
Waymon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 4X4 Limited, 1961 VW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not sure what video you watched, but the one your posted verified every negative in your original post. The hard pack and gravel showed slightly better times with the more off road focused tires as expected, wet braking on pavement showed a huge advantage for the road tires (over ten percent shorter) braking distances over the similar sized off road tires (the 315's cut that to about 5%, probably due to it being much wider and putting more rubber on the pavement than the other off road tires, yet even with that advantage, was stomped on by the basic on road truck tires). Wet handling and hydroplaning; road tire dominated over the performance of the off road tires. Dry braking, same story, on road focused tire substantially shorter braking distances than off road tires.
It seems you heard what you wanted to hear from this video. There are two items that you really should understand here; The tread pattern is what governs most of a tires performance and a taller/heavier tire will absolutely take more power to accelerate and brake than the same tread pattern tires on a smaller size (taller tire has higher mass and angular momentum, which is a fancy way of saying it takes more work to stop a heavy spinning object than a lighter spinning object at the same speed).
The drawbacks people are talking about from 33's to 35's is almost 100% from the different tread patterns and sidewall stiffness, not the size difference (they are surprisingly close in weight, which is part of the equation) The hybrid mud tires on Sasquatch are going to be worse on road especially in rain and light snow than the A/T tires on a Badlands, which will be worse than the Grabbers. It is a trade off. If you seldom go off road (and my Subaru is probably off pavement more than 3/4 of all Wranglers and it gets me places on A/S tires that might surprise you.). It depends on your usage. If you are only going to see a few thousand miles a year of gravel and off pavement use, if you don't NEED the aggressive tread of a hybrid mud over A/T, or the extra inch of ground clearance over a Badlands, then Sasquatch is purely cosmetic. Then you just have to weigh the extra costs, rougher ride (sidewall construction of the tire), and lowered on road performance against the value you place on 'the look'. Lastly, road noise. The M/T tires will get likely be louder on the road, most tires are reasonably quiet when new, as the wear slightly, that is when they start to howl. Ask the guy in the video about road noise in 30k miles.
Edit: because tread is the important factor in a tire, the similarities they showed between the 35 and the 32 are because they have the same pattern and construction
YOU MIGHT THINK ABOUT THIS! If anyone is looking to use your new bronco in a state or federal hunting area, A vehicle cannot use larger than a (34 in. ) tire
Most of the states are going the same way. Louisiana has had this law over
10 years. If you want to use the 35's you might take along about a donation
of $250 for Louisiana Dept of wildlife and fisheries.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

YOU MIGHT THINK ABOUT THIS! If anyone is looking to use your new bronco in a state or federal hunting area, A vehicle cannot use larger than a (34 in. ) tire
Most of the states are going the same way. Louisiana has had this law over
10 years. If you want to use the 35's you might take along about a donation
of $250 for Louisiana Dept of wildlife and fisheries.
Charitable contributions for a good cause. ?

focaloca95

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Ram, 2023 Bronco Sport Heritage Limited
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You can bet your ass the OBXers will always be treated poorly lol. You're okay in my book as long as it is Squatched though. So, I'll give you a pass. Just swap the badges and nobody will be the wiser for it.
LOL! That is what I figured. I like the badge-swapping idea. I think I'll put a Badlands on mine instead (even though every last bronco6g'er will know the truth when I roll by)

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

LOL! That is what I figured. I like the badge-swapping idea. I think I'll put a Badlands on mine instead (even though every last bronco6g'er will know the truth when I roll by)
They'll only know the truth if you allow them to peek inside. I'm glad you took my jokes as well as you did. There was a post today where a young lady was asking if she should get a non-Squatch OBX with the High Package or a Squatched BD. I said the BD was the clear best choice and that the OBXers will be the laughing stock of the Bronco community (they already are lol). I equated driving a stock OBX to walking around with a "sissy" sign or "kick me" sign on your back. You would have thought I insulted somebody's mother with the responses. One guy implied those were fighting words, another called me a Bronco gatekeeper, and I had two angry emojis lol. Like they just proved what I stated is true. I don't care what people drive as long as they are happy but that doesn't mean I'm not going to crack jokes at you. Jeez lol.
Sponsored