BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People blindly hating on 35’s are, well.....

if the outers can handle the additional weight then go for it. I’m bumping to 37’s somehow. Handling is more of a tire type thing than a tire size.
Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Will us OBX'ers still be treated like red-headed step children if we're seen on the trails, even if we're fully squatched? I'm forced to get it b/c it has the dash/upholstery options I'm looking for. BTW I definitely fit the OBX stereotype... I'm definitely a wheelin' neophyte.
Any bronco that has 2 lockers is legit in my book.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nice Bronco and Boat, bumming me out my new Bronco can't tow my boat ?
Those old broncs were rated to tow up to 6000, if I was getting a 4 door with base susp and tires, I'd be towing 5000 with it all day long, especially if I got the 2.7.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

YOU MIGHT THINK ABOUT THIS! If anyone is looking to use your new bronco in a state or federal hunting area, A vehicle cannot use larger than a (34 in. ) tire
Most of the states are going the same way. Louisiana has had this law over
10 years. If you want to use the 35's you might take along about a donation
of $250 for Louisiana Dept of wildlife and fisheries.
Thank goodness the tires are 34"! 34.4 rounds down to 34

usarms

Big Bend
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can tell you from real world experience that once the MTs start to wear they absolutely get louder. They for sure ride worse and while they look cool are not all that necessary. Having said that if you like the look go for it. Based on experience on many vehicles I am doing ATs because on a long trip the MTs actually make the ride a lot more tiring.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those old broncs were rated to tow up to 6000, if I was getting a 4 door with base susp and tires, I'd be towing 5000 with it all day long, especially if I got the 2.7.
I probably will too, good thing for me, I only tow my boat 50 miles, across flat and straight rural roads, two and from the lake to the barn and back every year. I will add a class III frame mounted hitch and test it out a bit with my other trailers first. Everything else I tow, will fall in the 3500lb rating.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I can tell you from real world experience that once the MTs start to wear they absolutely get louder. They for sure ride worse and while they look cool are not all that necessary. Having said that if you like the look go for it. Based on experience on many vehicles I am doing ATs because on a long trip the MTs actually make the ride a lot more tiring.
They wear quick too

CDN Jen

Badlands
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You quoted me but didn't address my post???

Joey.calc

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After reading a hundred time on this forum that 35s will handle much worst, make more noise, increase breaking distance compared to 33s, by people who actually never compared it back to back, I started to rule out sasquatch.

Now I found this helpful video, reviewing All Season VS light AT VS agressive AT VS Mud Tires, all in 32in but with the MT tire in both 32 and 35in tire. The comparison between tire type is interesting, but let’s focus on their comparison of the same MT tire in 32 and 35 on the same vehicle.

They do compare it on dirt, gravel, wet track, dry track and mud and the result is clear: on the road, the 35in MT tire does NOT handle worst than the 32 of the same tire model, it does NOT make more noise, and it does NOT increase braking distance (on wet road that is, breaking on dry road is not tested with the 35). The Reviewer insists on these points somewhere in the video and also shows the data throughout the video.

The only area where the 35 are worst in the video is for fuel economy, obviously.

What do you think?

The SAS tires will be louder, handle worse, and not brake as well as all other AT tires in the model ranges. The best tires on the road (from the factory) will be the stock tires from the Base, BB, and OB for on-road comfort, quietness, and handling/braking.

If someone said the 35s will be worse on the road, it is not because of the size, it is because of the tread pattern and sidewall (and if they actually meant that it is due to the size, they are wrong)... saying "the 35s will be worse than the 32s" is meaning the 35" MT will be worse on the road than 32" AT.

The more a tire is designed for off-road use, the worse it will be on the road. The more a tires is designed for on-road use, the worse it will be when you leave the pavement. The BD, BL, WT, and SAS models will all be worse on the road than the Base, BB, and OB and the other way around for off-roading. Simple.

Sponsored

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For those interested, these videos do a great job of illustrating the benefits (and limitations) of various tire sizes and treads in off-road and on-road conditions.

31 v 33 v 35 inch Tyre Mega Test! What wins? Every question answered - Mud, sand, rocks, on-road - YouTube

MUD TERRAIN vs ALL TERRAIN Real world 4WD test! – What's best for you revealed! - YouTube
Love this guys video's.

If you like this guy, this is fun one. Interesting watching the budget build on 29"s

(395) 4WD 24-7 - YouTube

Would have helped if I had attached the link. doh

Last edited:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I probably will too, good thing for me, I only tow my boat 50 miles, across flat and straight rural roads, two and from the lake to the barn and back every year. I will add a class III frame mounted hitch and test it out a bit with my other trailers first. Everything else I tow, will fall in the 3500lb rating.
Most important thing trailering is killer trailer brakes. Electrically actuated, drum trailer brakes are really not that great. I built my own deck over trailer to haul the bronc rock crawler and used 4 wheel disk brakes and hubs from a 78/79 bronco. They are connected to an electric/hydraulic actuator that connects to my brake controller.

In a pinch I bet those brakes could stop the entire tow rig and trailer in a reasonable distance, even if the tow rig's brakes failed completely. They are that good (I have a 14K lb, 26' new alum car trailer for comparison to some really big electric drum brakes).

Ford Bronco Helpful 32″ vs 35″ Tire Comparison Review 20171014_130331

Ford Bronco Helpful 32″ vs 35″ Tire Comparison Review DCP02787

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most important thing trailering is killer trailer brakes. Electrically actuated, drum trailer brakes are really not that great. I built my own deck over trailer to haul the bronc rock crawler and used 4 wheel disk brakes and hubs from a 78/79 bronco. They are connected to an electric/hydraulic actuator that connects to my brake controller.

In a pinch I bet those brakes could stop the entire tow rig and trailer in a reasonable distance, even if the tow rig's brakes failed completely. They are that good (I have a 14K lb, 26' new alum car trailer for comparison to some really big electric drum brakes).

I agree good brakes are important, but it’s doesn’t seem like that’s the issue with the Bronco rating. I am just assuming it’s the GBWR and multi link rear suspension. Nice braking setup by the way ??

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I disagree, I find driving with super swampers to be quite soothing like putting a quarter in the vibrating bed at the motel. Plus it gives you an audible measure of speed so you dont have to be distracted looking at the speedometer. Also the piece of mind that you will rarely have to use your lockers and your winch will stay spooled for months at a time.
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: jxc