First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Gladiator // 2 door Warthog
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This all still comes back to needing huge numbers of batteries to store all that power. Sun doesn't shine at night and usually wind doesn't blow or is greatly reduced.

So how are the batteries going to be dealt with at the end of their life? What are the health issues with huge batteries sitting around? What is the back up plan for failing, on fire, paying for, etc. Batteries? We don't have these issues now because worse case scenario a couple hundred people lose power.

I live in an off grid house, there is a propane generator as back up. In the winter it is vital to have the back up. No power means no water, a requirement to live. I still have heat thanks to propane but if it was all electric I would be completely SOL.
Ev batteries make great home and commercial batteries for another 10-15 years once they can no longer sustain pushing an EV.
Sponsored

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For now, the electric car remains a city-only concept.
I don't need a full EV. Who wants to run out of battery in the middle of the woods.

My wife has a Fusion Energi (PHEV) and she spends $0 in gas to commute to and from work. Her MPG average is around 65MPG real world.

I would buy a Bronco today with ADM for a PHEV that gets me 25mi a charge.
I could be "Cool Guy" around town for $0 in gas and have a full tank for a road trip and off roading. Not interested in the Jeep version.

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I realize im new here but I have some intimate inside information about offroad EVs on the horizon. I own a very large solar company and we are contracted with several EV manufacturers to install car chargers (including the two way home chargers for ford) , some in very very remote places.

ford better get with it because by the 2025 model year theyll be the only manufacturer without one otherwise.

Id write an $85k check right now for an electric bronco raptor. Yeah maybe for a while id need a basecamp with solar and a generator instead of overlanding but I have a diesel gladiator thats perfect for that job already.

edit: my house in socal is entirely off the grid and although the generator kicks on for about 30 minutes once a month, ive otherwise not needed Anything other than solar, batteries and two 600w wind turbines. Its got full climate control, all the appliances a “normal” house has and an ev charger

596EF93E-50E0-485A-9082-63280477E9AB.jpeg
What is the efficiently of your panels?

MustangRanch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT350, 11 GT500, 20 GT500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think about the last time I drove to FL. F150 ecoboost 35 gallon tank, no need to stop for fuel. 720 miles.

How many hours would be added to that trip with an EV? I don't think currently it could be done in a day.

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Believe it or not, electric cars like the Tesla actually produce more pollution than a gasoline car. The whole thing about gasoline cars and pollution is BS if you ask me. Plus, these tree huggers are not considering what its going to do to the power grid...think rolling blackouts in Commiefornia

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Important to remember....100% of renewable energy technologies exist because of government subsidies. Subsidies funded by tax dollars which an ever-decreasing segment of the US population pays.

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Believe it or not, electric cars like the Tesla actually produce more pollution than a gasoline car. The whole thing about gasoline cars and pollution is BS if you ask me. Plus, these tree huggers are not considering what its going to do to the power grid...think rolling blackouts in Commiefornia
I think you mean the PRODUCTION of electric cars vs PRODUCTION of ICE
The EV more than makes up for that over the life of the car

one source, but there are more
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51977625

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Important to remember....100% of renewable energy technologies exist because of government subsidies. Subsidies funded by tax dollars which an ever-decreasing segment of the US population pays.
Yep Subsidies! LOL. This is just Texas, but still its not like the the oil industry is going it alone
=compress&crop=faces&fit=fit&fm=pjpg&ixlib=php-1.2.jpg

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep Subsidies! LOL.
Its all just a shell game with monopoly money...heck - its easy enough to make electricity from butterfly shit; but somewhat expensive to collect enough of it.

SolarWizard

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What is the efficiently of your panels?
Chasing Efficiency isn’t really wise tbd. Its easier just to check production charts. Efficiency is just a measure of output in watts across the surface area and only really matters when you have very limited roofspace.
The panels I use are mounted on a ground rack and are our own brand rated at 370watts which is super high for a 60 cell panel. Much above that requires a 72 cell (bigger form factor)

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Chasing Efficiency isn’t really wise tbd. Its easier just to check production charts. Efficiency is just a measure of output in watts across the surface area and only really matters when you have very limited roofspace.
The panels I use are mounted on a ground rack and are our own brand rated at 370watts which is super high for a 60 cell panel. Much above that requires a 72 cell (bigger form factor)
Efficieny is space satellite solar cells is very wise, we had double and triple junction cells for power density. I was hoping 20 years later, with all the green talk, someone in the commercial segment would start producing density and capacity if there is any chance the power required by all the supposed new EV's will have a way to be charged.

SolarWizard

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Efficieny is space satellite solar cells is very wise, we had double and triple junction cells for power density. I was hoping 20 years later, with all the green talk, someone in the commercial segment would start producing density and capacity if there is any chance the power required by all the supposed new EV's will have a way to be charged.
23-24% is the very top of the heap but 26-28% is probably all the current form factor could ever achieve. When I say hauling solar panels I mean inside a toy hauler etc

probably need 20 plus 1000lbs of batteries to make base camp charger preferable to a 4k generator.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Calling an electric vehicle "Zero Emissions" is an outright lie and people are gobbling it up whole.

I have nothing against electric vehicles, ran RC cars much of my life. They have some really cool technology and are probably great commuters, just quit spreading the lie.

**Not directed at the OP. Just my pressure relief valve going off.
It drives me crazy that almost none of my green neighbors understand that the electricity in their homes mostly comes from fossil fuels. Near our home, there’s a Tesla supercharger 10 miles from the largest coal fired plant in MN and I’ll often point out that it takes 35 lbs. of coal to charge up my Tesla. I was motivated to find out how much coal it takes after a green neighbor criticized me for buying a diesel Range Rover. :):)

Eventually our grandkids will need to embrace opening more nuclear plants.

Last edited:

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It drives me crazy that almost none of my green neighbors understand that the electricity in their homes mostly comes from fossil fuels. Near our home, there’s a Tesla supercharger 10 miles from the largest coal fired plant in MN and I’ll often point out that it takes 35 lbs. of coal to charge up my Tesla. I was motivated to find out how much coal it takes after a green neighbor criticized me for buying a diesel Range Rover. :):)

Eventually our grandkids will need to embrace opening more nuclear plants.
https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html#wheel

Still less emissions "well to wheel"
Ford Bronco Here’s why you won’t see an electric Bronco 1639057610358

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The limiting factor with battery powered time-of-flight is chemistry. Battery technology relies on chemical energy storage (in simplistic terms) and there is no foreseeable way to significantly improve battery storage. If anyone tells you otherwise, ask them to prove it.

Overlooking the impossibility of mining enough material to mobilize the world with EVs (another topic), there is a practical limit in flight for how much lift power can be generated for the weight of the batteries. There is a reason why virtually all drones of all sizes have a flight time of 20-25 minutes because that’s the maximum you can achieve with battery capacity/weight.

So battery powered drones may become an expensive way to commute short distances, but they won’t be as efficient than EVs, which will never be as efficient as ICEs.
Agree. The weight to power problem of batteries is real for planes/drones and also for boats. I have a 26 foot surf boat that easily goes through 50 gallons in a day and some days we will use 70 or 80 gallons. I’m less than two years away from retiring to Florida for 6 months each winter and the boats I’m looking at get about 1 mpg which means 55 gallons per hour at 5,000 rpms. That why it has a 500 gallon tank. My Tesla battery weighs 1,300 pounds
Definitely less but not zero. My Tesla produces about 40% of the C02 per mile of our SUV. If 50% of the world's cars are electric by 2050 that will be a total reduction of global C02 emissions of about 3.5%. Of course by 2030 the global emissions are forecasted to rise by 16%.
Sponsored