First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Calling an electric vehicle "Zero Emissions" is an outright lie and people are gobbling it up whole.

I have nothing against electric vehicles, ran RC cars much of my life. They have some really cool technology and are probably great commuters, just quit spreading the lie.

**Not directed at the OP. Just my pressure relief valve going off.

Last edited:

Alan

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 535xdrive M Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rivian is changing the paradigm by putting chargers in national parks and having 400 miles of range. It is feasible. The electric F150 is coming soon too. Plenty of room in the frame rails for batteries, so greater range and torque.

OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Rivian is changing the paradigm by putting chargers in national parks and having 400 miles of range. It is feasible. The electric F150 is coming soon too. Plenty of room in the frame rails for batteries, so greater range and torque.
That Rivian - interesting story. I will have to start following that more. I understand the venture capital world - some decent big investors there. I would like to see it succeed, but we will need a hella lot more charging stations before gasoline drivers can feel comfortable about making the leap to a plug-in. Thank you for bringing that one to mind.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had a chance to see the Hummer ev vehicle that is coming out soon up close. Consistent with it lineage, It is a bit big for me and a little rich for my blood cost-wise. But know this: It is a beautiful vehicle and if it can do what is being advertised, it will be a force to be reckoned with, no doubt about it. Electric vehicles and ships and aircraft are the future and the future will be here before you know it.

Sponsored

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Re: charging stations

I just drove from Montana to Wisconsin. I used to poo-poo electric vehicles saying “how will you ever drive an electric vehicle across eastern Montana or North Dakota ?”. Well, I now have to eat my words, there are charging stations all over the place now. Including some remote places that really surprised me.

tlowell01

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a chance to see the Hummer ev vehicle that is coming out soon up close. Consistent with it lineage, It is a bit big for me and a little rich for my blood cost-wise. But know this: It is a beautiful vehicle and if it can do what is being advertised, it will be a force to be reckoned with, no doubt about it. Electric vehicles and ships and aircraft are the future and the future will be here before you know it.
I keep my vehicles a long time and I'm just assuming the Bronco will be my last manual transmission and gasoline powered vehicle.

I think the electric future of aviation is a bit further off.

tnobull

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr BD Bronco + Salsa Journeyman Flat Bar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I keep my vehicles a long time and I'm just assuming the Bronco will be my last manual transmission and gasoline powered vehicle.

I think the electric future of aviation is a bit further off.
Hybrid planes are here and being developed for commercial use already. Demonstrations are happening in Hawai’i, but of course this is light travel with a short distance. Still, it’s awesome to see!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.st...ic-plane-conducts-first-flight-in-hawaii/amp/

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
https://www.outsideonline.com/2419909/mercedes-electric-sprinter-van-2023-review

Good discussion here about why an electric off-road vehicle is simply not yet feasible. Weight, distance, recharging logistics, power needed for uphill driving.

For now, the electric car remains a city-only concept.
The subject matter is the true EV, not hybrid. Although its posted in the Hybrid section of the forum and is likely why this post is getting so many "hybrid" comments and opinions.

At any rate, Its a good find by the OP and I happen to agree with Outside Mag's synopsis that the true EV as an offroader is not ready for prime time. In my opinion, I think the next 3 or so years are "wait and see".

Let's see what Rivian does. My only exposure to them is in the motorcycle adventure journey "Long Way Up" where they were used as chase vehicles... However, I noticed they also used an ICE (internal combustion engine) Sprinter and that's what really provided the support. Charlie and Ewing were under NDA and were not allowed to really express their true feelings on the Electric Harleys or the Rivians.... The motorcycles were getting like 35 miles of duration in cold temps....and you could sense the frustration in the crew, but they held back on their comments. Irony is the camera man was on a gas powered Harley... not Electric... He had zero issues with refueling, cold weather, mechanical failure, etc.

BTW, Rivian's largest investor is....Ford. Would not surprise me if Ford buys them outright at some point.

Nellman

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find it interesting what is being discussed without talking about drones becoming the main mode of transportation. Electric cars may be a thing but only for a short period of time.

The advantages for using drones for travel and commuting are much higher then what cars can ever have. No longer needing to maintain roads, bridges and other infrastructure could save a lot of money. Yes there would be other new costs but the efficient aspect would be huge. Thinking of electric cars when the Jetsons is probably just as likely to be the next big thing.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find it interesting what is being discussed without talking about drones becoming the main mode of transportation. Electric cars may be a thing but only for a short period of time.

The advantages for using drones for travel and commuting are much higher then what cars can ever have. No longer needing to maintain roads, bridges and other infrastructure could save a lot of money. Yes there would be other new costs but the efficient aspect would be huge. Thinking of electric cars when the Jetsons is probably just as likely to be the next big thing.
Drones... no need for insurance, because every accident results in total loss and death.