First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Gotta say for a commercial van those new Sprinters are pretty nice. Currently driving a 2020 diesel 2500 for work. Insane improvement over the 2010 I had prior. Still garbage in the snow, wish work ponied up for the 4x4 but ah well. Going from that to my Jeep reminds me how much it's closer to a driving a dump truck. :D

As for electric, the Bronco will probably be my last gas engine, or at least gas only vehicle. The tech is getting better every day just waiting for more advancement, more options and better charging networks.

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you missed my sarcasm. Look at the picture. Where am I going to plug in?
There is always a place in between stops. The network is growing by the day.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks to everyone for their input. This is an interesting discussion.

I don't think that anyone knows exactly how or when or how fast the progression from ICE to EVs will occur or if we will skip individually owned EVs entirely and go with autonomous Uber styled transportation. I had always thought the conversion would be later than predicted. I didn't think the wholesale conversion to EVs would happen until the 2030s, but I have changed my mind. I think 2025 will be the inflection point. If I went to sleep and woke up on January 1st , 2026 and you told me that GM and Ford only offered EVs it would not surprise me. The technology is there. I think with Biden (and the Democrats in power) that the political will is there. And lastly I think our culture is changing (I am not as I want a manual ICE and want nothing to do with autonomous cars).
Along this line of reasoning I do wonder what the resale value of our ICE Broncos will be in 10 years. If I don't get a Bronco until 2022 and keep it 4 years and try to sell it in 2026 when the entire industry is changing to EV what will it be worth? I'm not really hung up on this thought but I do think that ICE vehicles will take a big hit in value and that a lot of people are not thinking about this.
Anyway, my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Pl8to

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

GM just announced today that they plan on having all electric vehicles by 2035. Thought the timing of that announcement fits into this conversation nicely.

Sponsored

CanadianFord

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had a chance to see the Hummer ev vehicle that is coming out soon up close. Consistent with it lineage, It is a bit big for me and a little rich for my blood cost-wise. But know this: It is a beautiful vehicle and if it can do what is being advertised, it will be a force to be reckoned with, no doubt about it. Electric vehicles and ships and aircraft are the future and the future will be here before you know it.
Watch The Long Way Up, with Ewan Mcgregor. They drove 2 Rivians and 2 electric Harleys from Patigonia to LA.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The PHEV Bronco will be here in 2-3 years now that whatever-it's-called-these-days released the 4xe. If the primary concern actually is range and where to refill then two energy sources are better than one anyways.

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The PHEV Bronco will be here in 2-3 years now that whatever-it's-called-these-days released the 4xe. If the primary concern actually is range and where to refill then two energy sources are better than one anyways.
Yeah, it has to come since most auto manufacturers copy each other. .. and that would be JEEP

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
GM just announced today that they plan on having all electric vehicles by 2035. Thought the timing of that announcement fits into this conversation nicely.
File this under the heading of Grimm's Fairy Tales. Even TESLA continues to lose money selling electric cars.

Tesla's dirty little secret: Its net profit doesn't come from selling cars

CNN Business: Tesla posted its first full year of net income in 2020 -- but not because of sales to its customers.
Eleven states require automakers sell a certain percentage of zero-emissions vehicles by 2025. If they can't, the automakers have to buy regulatory credits from another automaker that meets those requirements -- such as Tesla, which exclusively sells electric cars.
It's a lucrative business for Tesla -- bringing in $3.3 billion over the course of the last five years, nearly half of that in 2020 alone. The $1.6 billion in regulatory credits it received last year far outweighed Tesla's net income of $721 million -- meaning Tesla would have otherwise posted a net loss in 2020.
"These guys are losing money selling cars. They're making money selling credits. And the credits are going away," said Gordon Johnson of GLJ Research and one of the biggest bears on Tesla (TSLA) shares.

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Calling an electric vehicle "Zero Emissions" is an outright lie and people are gobbling it up whole.

I have nothing against electric vehicles, ran RC cars much of my life. They have some really cool technology and are probably great commuters, just quit spreading the lie.

**Not directed at the OP. Just my pressure relief valve going off.
I assume you are referring to the method to which the electricity is produced?

Sponsored

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Electric motors work great, instant torque and full torque through full rpm range. In Idaho the problem is charging stations. In this part of the state, the only stations are in Boise however some companies are installing them for employees. The problem being long distance travel. With a fuel vehicle, everyone can take a bathroom break while fueling. Electrics take quite a while to charge. Also the green component is tenuous. People don't realize what environmental costs are involved in mining the copper and materials for the batteries. There is nothing that anyone has or uses that wasn't taken from the ground in some way and nothing is free including the air we breath.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Overlanders could drive electric vehicles with a solar setup.
Out of charge? So what? Just set up the panels and live off the land for a day or two and sleep in your rooftop tent. Isn't that the whole point of overlanding?

Also, you can already charge a Mach-E off a F-150 Hybrid with the electric generator. That can be done anywhere the F-150 can get to.

Last edited:

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Electric motors work great, instant torque and full torque through full rpm range. In Idaho the problem is charging stations. In this part of the state, the only stations are in Boise however some companies are installing them for employees. The problem being long distance travel. With a fuel vehicle, everyone can take a bathroom break while fueling. Electrics take quite a while to charge. Also the green component is tenuous. People don't realize what environmental costs are involved in mining the copper and materials for the batteries. There is nothing that anyone has or uses that wasn't taken from the ground in some way and nothing is free including the air we breath.
Batteries now have a 20 year lifespan, exceeding ICE engines.

If you use a battery for that long, it does not impact the environment nearly as much as massive tanker trucks delivering gas to 10s of thousands of gas stations in the US and of course the environmental cost of building an ICE engine.

Also the emissions are not directly into the air that we breathe. They are in highly regulated power plants away from population centers.

Electricity is not "zero impact", but it is an order of magnitude better than the Internal Combustion Engine.

Last edited:

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I assume you are referring to the method to which the electricity is produced?
Not only that but the complete infrastructure required to produce these vehicles. Any vehicle really.
Sponsored