First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Answer that and I agree with you, electric cars are not any better for the planet.
Based on what?

Studies show lifetime emissions from an EV are far less than an ICE, including upstream power used to charge the vehicle. And will only continue to improve as cleaner energy sources like Natural Gas over coal or other renewables increase in market share.
Sponsored

Girryn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Audi S4, 2015 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based on what?

Studies show lifetime emissions from an EV are far less than an ICE, including upstream power used to charge the vehicle. And will only continue to improve as cleaner energy sources like Natural Gas over coal or other renewables increase in market share.
You can git the hell out this thread wit yer science!

/s

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
A perfect example of the conditioned ignorance of rural Americans. Why would you be proud to work for an unlivable wage in a remote coal town? MURICA!

Do not worry about foreign goods at the company store, it is fully stocked with a limited array of American goods and you are not allowed to spend your paycheck anywhere else.
Unlivable wage? Your displaying a lot of ignorance pretending coal mining is done just as it was in October Sky. Also I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a remote coal town
As for myself since I don’t live near a coal mine I’m more used to the proud $100k-$250k jobs working at coal fired steam plants. Most of which are near large cities where such power is needed.

Just as Germany is re-embracing coal so too will the US in the future. Cheap, efficient, clean, and plenty.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

There were definitely some glaring errors in that article.
And adding four-wheel drive is not as easy on an electric vehicle as it is on one powered by dead dinosaur juice.
Adding 4wd to an electric or hybrid vehicle is EXCEEDINGLY simpler than adding it to and ICE powered vehicle. You don't have to worry about additional driveshafts, transfer case, differential, etc. It's at most another motor or two and some wires.

My Bronco will most likely be my last ICE powered vehicle.
The Rivian truck (which Ford has a stake in) looks pretty amazing, especially with the range extender battery in the bed.
Rivian patented a removable range extender battery

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Frankly brake dust is a bigger pollution issue than anything coming out of a non-DI engine in 2021

Totally agree there are a lot of other "pollutants" coming of cars. But I don't think thats generally what is classified as "emissions" with regards to the designation. since that has typically come from the engine.

But more to your point i'd argue an EV generates far less brake dust due to regenerative breaking.

Unlivable wage? Your displaying a lot of ignorance pretending coal mining is done just as it was in October Sky. Also I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a remote coal town
As for myself since I don’t live near a coal mine I’m more used to the proud $100k-$250k jobs working at coal fired steam plants. Most of which are near large cities where such power is needed.

Just as Germany is re-embracing coal so too will the US in the future. Cheap, efficient, clean, and plenty.
I can't speak for @Giiryn, but I think the point was to illustrate there is a fair amount of ignorance around coal mining in general. I think a lot of people think its renewables trying to kill coal jobs, when in reality, like you said "pretending coal mining is done just as it was in October" is a huge mistake. Losses in coal mining jobs are more likely due to the changes int he way the coal industry has mined for coal. So those who take the position "No to EV's, That's killing Coal Mining Jobs" are a bit out of touch.

Thats not to say the potential change to more renewables won't impact the the coal industry, but where one industry shrinks another grows. Thats the cycle, isn't it. Not seeing a whole lot of farriers around anymore.

If there is demand, it will happen. If there isn't it won't. But some type of change is inevitable.

BBIAB gotta go drop off my film at the drug store, need to get the photos back by this weekend.

Sponsored

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ll buy an EV when a truck has the looks and performance I want, with a 500 mile range, and is reasonably priced (50k).
Counterpoint: Why a 500 mile range, when you have to eat, go to the restroom, etc. every 100 miles?

Do you dislike entire states so much, that have you have modified your current vehicle to have extra gas tanks, just to not stop at all in them?

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Totally agree there are a lot of other "pollutants" coming of cars. But I don't think thats generally what is classified as "emissions" with regards to the designation. since that has typically come from the engine.

But more to your point i'd argue an EV generates far less brake dust due to regenerative breaking.

I can't speak for @Giiryn, but I think the point was to illustrate there is a fair amount of ignorance around coal mining in general. I think a lot of people think its renewables trying to kill coal jobs, when in reality, like you said "pretending coal mining is done just as it was in October" is a huge mistake. Losses in coal mining jobs are more likely due to the changes int he way the coal industry has mined for coal. So those who take the position "No to EV's, That's killing Coal Mining Jobs" are a bit out of touch.

Thats not to say the potential change to more renewables won't impact the the coal industry, but where one industry shrinks another grows. Thats the cycle, isn't it. Not seeing a whole lot of farriers around anymore.

If there is demand, it will happen. If there isn't it won't. But some type of change is inevitable.

BBIAB gotta go drop off my film at the drug store, need to get the photos back by this weekend.
There’s a huge amount of ignorance surrounding the energy industry in general. Every yuppie that is incapable of escaping a wet paper sack reads their WSJ or NYT article on coal, natural gas, or ‘green’ energy and immediately accept it as an undeniable fact.

Reality doesn’t work that way; the days of dirty coal are long over, the belief natural gas can replace coal is highly flawed (hint that’s not how a 7FA turbine works). The belief that we can power this country only on ‘green’ energy is beyond laughable.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My f-150 3.5 ecoboost with 36 gal tank ALWAYS gets 500 miles per tank, usually over 600.
Average for cars is 300 miles

Standard F-150 gas tank is 12 gallons less.

And that is an optional feature that makes your pocketbook cry when you filled and mostly used by people who are towing and their MPGs are cut in half.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Counterpoint: Why a 500 mile range, when you have to eat, go to the restroom, etc. every 100 miles?

Do you dislike entire states so much, that have you have modified your current vehicle to have extra gas tanks, just to not stop at all in them?
Towing mileage will be less, and colder temperatures reduce the range of the battery.
Plus I’d rather not worry about making sure my vehicle is plugged in every night.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The belief that we can power this country only on ‘green’ energy is beyond laughable.
The problem here is politicians banging the renewable drum and implying its just a light-switch change. Add to that an uninformed populace, half of whom don't pay sufficient federal income taxes to power a dish washer cycle, and you've got danger ahead.

You can carbon-tax your way to huge emission improvements...just be prepared to take a back seat to other countries who maintain the status-quo.

Sponsored

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Average for cars is 300 miles

Standard F-150 gas tank is 12 gallons less.

And that is an optional feature that makes your pocketbook cry when you filled and mostly used by people who are towing and their MPGs are cut in half.
Average range for EVs vary as well and cost significantly more to increase that range(larger battery, etc.).

My pocketbook will shed the same amount of tears per mile traveled regardless of tank size(i don’t GAF about carrying the weight of 12 more gallons of freedom fuel).

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The problem here is politicians banging the renewable drum and implying its just a light-switch change. Add to that an uninformed populace, half of whom don't pay sufficient federal income taxes to power a dish washer cycle, and you've got danger ahead.

You can carbon-tax your way to huge emission improvements...just be prepared to take a back seat to other countries who maintain the status-quo.
Well its definitely more complicated than a light switch change. Not taking into account subsidies or tax credits, if a power company finds out they can build and a solar plant for less than a coal plant...they are going to do it. 💰

Its going to get ugly fast if we have to talk about subsidies and tax credits :lol: Let's just say there are plenty of industries getting them. whether thats right or wrong is a whole other thread.

I'd rather have kept this discussion just about the vehicles themselves and not have gone down energy sector rabbit hole

So I hear EV's have good torque, that would be good for off roading, right?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Full Electric vehicles are a lux item and will be for a long time. When technology allows for cheaper and more efficient batteries and lighter then it will be under 50K. I say in another 20-30 years and maybe we will see affordable electric vehicles for the masses.
The $50,000 price barrier is probably true about trucks, but some cheap electric cars (admittedly smaller in size) are already available well below that price level.
  • 2020 Nissan Leaf: $31,600
  • 2020 Mini Cooper SE Electric Hardtop: $29,900
Source: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/cheapest-electric-cars

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Plus I’d rather not worry about making sure my vehicle is plugged in every night.
The number of things we have to remember to plugin at night is...
Ford Bronco Here’s why you won’t see an electric Bronco 1612288354605

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
[/QUOTE]
Well its definitely more complicated than a light switch change. Not taking into account subsidies or tax credits, if a power company finds out they can build and a solar plant for less than a coal plant...they are going to do it. 💰

Its going to get ugly fast if we have to talk about subsidies and tax credits :lol: Let's just say there are plenty of industries getting them. whether thats right or wrong is a whole other thread.

I'd rather have kept this discussion just about the vehicles themselves and not have gone down energy sector rabbit hole

So I hear EV's have good torque, that would be good for off roading, right?
Power companies CAN build solar fields cheaper than coal plants. The problem is a large solar field might produce 3MW if the conditions are perfect. The last coal plant I was in produced 2.24GW under all weather conditions and acted as a base load which solar can never do.
Sponsored