Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Truly a horrific and tragic story.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/wh...lership-employee-was-killed-during-oil-change

When a man took his Jeep to Rochester Hills Chrysler Jeep Dodge on March 13, 2020, it was for a routine oil change. But an employee died after another employee - who couldn't drive a stick shift - got behind the wheel to move the Jeep and hit and killed the first employee.

This story is absolutely crazy. The Jeep owner is sued after dealership employee was killed during oil change.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've seen plenty of mishaps in my days as a tech. Granted none have been this severe but majority of said mishaps were done with automatic transmissions. The only ones that I know of involving a manual (in my experience) was one involving a theft from the drive, and the other I was rear-ended in a customer's vehicle while verifying a repair.

Does that suck? 100%
Is it a legitimate reason to not get a manual transmission? No. But to each his own I guess.

#millennialanti-theft

I'm no expert in Michigan law but I feel like there's more loopholes available than what's been mentioned.

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem here is that Michigan has no-fault insurance, and insurance follows the car. If the valet goes on a joy ride and crashes, your insurance takes the hit. If the mechanic kills someone with your car, it goes to your insurance.

The upside is that you carry insurance appropriate for your vehicle, so if someone who is uninsured or underinsured hits you, you get fixed under your own policy.

This is a bad situation, and it’s a problem with laws in Michigan, not the transmission.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/wh...lership-employee-was-killed-during-oil-change

When a man took his Jeep to Rochester Hills Chrysler Jeep Dodge on March 13, 2020, it was for a routine oil change. But an employee died after another employee - who couldn't drive a stick shift - got behind the wheel to move the Jeep and hit and killed the first employee.

This story is absolutely crazy. The Jeep owner is sued after dealership employee was killed during oil change.
I hate to tell you this, but if it had been an automatic transmission he would have gotten sue too.

If your property is responsible for causing property damage, injuries and/or death you can bet your going to get sued. That’s why we have insurance.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This would actually be the reason why I do my own maintenance as much as I can. Now days many people don't know how to drive manual trans. Even when I went to get window tint only 1 older gentlemen out of 15 workers knew how to drive my car

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So glad I don't live in Michigan, place already seems crazy enough.

I'm all for more Manual's, since who the hell wants to conform like everyone else? More Manuals the better, though the stealership should have vetted their unlicensed employee better (https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2022/05/07/slippin-jimmy-and-the-slipped-clutch/)

"Jeffrey Hawkins, a 42-year-old mechanic at Rochester Hills Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Michigan, was killed when another dealership employee – 19-years-old without a driver’s license and (apparently) knowledge of the workings of a manual transmission – got into the customer’s vehicle, which had been brought to the dealership for an oil change – and “start(ed) the engine, removes (released) the clutch and then a terrible thing happened,” in the words of David Femminineo, the Slippin’ Jimmy lawyer who is representing the man killed and suing the man who had nothing to do with killing him.

The dealership who hired – and failed to vet the 19-year-old’s ability to safely handle vehicles with manual transmissions or even whether he had a license to drive anything – isn’t being sued. The 19-year-old whose inadvertence at best and reckless incompetence at worst directly caused the death of Hawkins didn’t get as much as a traffic ticket.

He is free to go."