Sponsored

here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender

webdz9r

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE - Area 51
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm like many and bummed the Sasquatch / FE trims do not come with two important options, roof rack rails and tow package. I've always preferred roof mounted accessories for bikes and skis but here we are with no ETA on when we can order roof rails (thanks ford)

Hitch Solution
I was quoted $850 for OEM Factory installed receiver hitch w lights. Being that I'm NOT towing anything I didn't need the wire harness, just the hitch receiver so I opted for the after market version by Curt MFG #13493 for $150ish shipped pared with this installation video (I skipped the wire harness parts) it only took 30 minutes with the basic tools everyone should have. All this for $150, I was able to save a ton of money just to get a hitch for my purpose.

35" spare tire requires a 7" hitch extender which I got on amazon, to keep the rattle to a minimum I used an anti rattle bolt which I also got off amazon

Ski Rack by BuzzRack
I opted for the 6 ski rack by BuzzRack on amazon for $300 shipped, this installed with the hitch extender was a perfect fit. It sits snug to the 35" spare, the rack has a tilt feature which allows me to open the door about 12" which is just enough for quick access but not enough to be effective, still need to remove the rack completely if I want meaningful access to the rear door.

I wrote a complete review here on my blog for skiers with links to the products, more pictures and details on ski rack, bronco installation specifically if you're interested here https://skierblog.com/gear/best-hitch-mount-ski-rack-for-the-new-ford-bronco-2021/

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender resized_IMG_0788

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender resized_IMG_0794

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender resized_IMG_0795
Sponsored

Last edited:

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sup fellow Idahoan!

Nice blog, good looking rack design.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice. It's about time I start taking my kid, but with just the two of us going I think the gear will fit inside. Nice to have options though.

Sup fellow Idahoan!

Nice blog, good looking rack design.
My first time skiing was at Bogus Basin.

OP
OP
webdz9r

webdz9r

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE - Area 51
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Nice. It's about time I start taking my kid, but with just the two of us going I think the gear will fit inside. Nice to have options though.

My first time skiing was at Bogus Basin.
My ski's are 180CM long and I had to put down the 2/3 seat and angle them sideways to fit. I was surprised that I had to go from corner to corner. This basically means 3 people and limited storage is the limit unless you have short skis. Bogus basin is nice for sure

Sponsored
OP
OP
webdz9r

webdz9r

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE - Area 51
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Quick update...

I wasn't stoked with only being able to open the tailgate about 12", it didn't allow for any useful access with the 7" Hitch extender I originally purchased (link here) and the rattle was pretty bad.

I found a new hitch extender that adds 2" inches to the length and drops it 2 more inches which now gives me 20"+ opening and moves the ski rack away from the spare tire which I like (it was rubbing on the tire with the 7" extender) and I wanted to find something to fix the rattling sound, the rack itself has a pretty cool solution for keeping the rattle away, it's the extender that was causing the problem.

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender IMG_0973
Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender IMG_0970
Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender IMG_0974

All in all this gives me a bit more room to access gear in bins which is nice. The anti rattle stabilizer is worth every penny and keeps the rattle away!

Here are the products I have from amazon (yes I use amazon links, beer money man, support me :) )
  1. Hitch Receiver Adapter with 2" Drop/Rise, 9" Hitch Extender
  2. Hitch Tightener Anti Rattle Stabilizer for 1.25" to 2" Hitches
  3. BUZZRACK BUZZSKI - Hitch Mounted Ski & Snowboard Rack

gobuffs

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I like your solution! I considered it also. I went with a ski box setup instead because I knew I would break my skis went entering a low garage and I wanted to keep the skis clean.

I know it nearly doubles the cost of what you have but the Kuat Pivot V2 Driver Side Swing
should be in the Ford accessory catalog. It is the perfect length extender, fits under the spare tire, swings away to allow access to the back, and has a built in hitch stabilizer. It would work for you too.

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender IMG_0616 - Copy.JPEG

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender IMG_0617 - Copy.JPEG

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender IMG_0618 - Copy.JPEG

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender IMG_0619 - Copy.JPEG

OP
OP
webdz9r

webdz9r

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE - Area 51
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I like your solution! I considered it also. I went with a ski box setup instead because I knew I would break my skis went entering a low garage and I wanted to keep the skis clean.

I know it nearly doubles the cost of what you have but the Kuat Pivot V2 Driver Side Swing
should be in the Ford accessory catalog. It is the perfect length extender, fits under the spare tire, swings away to allow access to the back, and has a built in hitch stabilizer. It would work for you too.

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender IMG_0619 - Copy.JPEG

That is a pretty sweet setup. I debated about this and I wasn’t sure of the rattle factor, how is the rattle with this?

At first I wanted the cheapest solution because it was temp until roof rails became available, now that it’s less likely to have roof rails i might need to revisit how I carry bikes, skis and gear

gobuffs

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That is a pretty sweet setup. I debated about this and I wasn’t sure of the rattle factor, how is the rattle with this?

At first I wanted the cheapest solution because it was temp until roof rails became available, now that it’s less likely to have roof rails i might need to revisit how I carry bikes, skis and gear
No rattle. The connection from the Kuat to the hitch is solid due to the FLATLOCK mechanism which expands from inside the hitch with an Allen wrench. It is literally THE most satisfying hitch connection. You can tighten it hard enough (25 ft/lbs) that it makes a perfect (wobble-free) connection. Whatever rack you have will have another connection to the Kuat. I couldn't fit a hitch tightener/stabilizer between my jerry-rigged cargo carrier and the hitch pin, but this threaded hitch bolt is pretty good. It has a bit of a thicker sleeve at the bolt end that reduces the gap in the hitch pin hole which eliminates 99% of the wobble. Plus you can tighten the bolt to make the connection firm. My Thule T2 bike rack uses a threaded hitch bolt so that is solid for bikes. That Kuat hitch connection is so good though I need a reason to buy a new bike rack.

IMPORTANT: I couldn't get the Kuat hitch pin and lock to fit with the Ford OEM hitch. I replaced it with this Receiver Lock.

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender 1643139666095

Last edited:

wheretheheckisjoe

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m about to install the same rack on my Tow + Sasquatch, but with a 12 inch extender. It’ll be interesting to see how much I can open the tailgate with a few more extended inches. I’ll post pics when I get it installed

Sponsored

rhymeswithbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting. :unsure:

My plan was to get a Yakima or similar cargo box for the roof rack that should be coming on my 2 door. My son and I pack all our gear in dedicated bags so I'm not sure the rear carrier would work as well. I'd be worried about theft or a rear end collision wiping out all my gear hanging off the back, but it's nice to see the options other people are using.

BIg B. Bronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I ordered roof racks and for some reason they aren’t listed on my window sticker. I need a solution to carry my kayaks, I found something similar to this for small kayaks at…

https://vertiyak.com/products/vertiyak

No idea how they work but very interested in these versus the roof racks now. The cost is listed as $429, which isn’t much different then the roof racks and somehow look easier to load.

6164D09A-1DAD-44C3-87A1-2E764C7DE0F6.jpeg

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Regarding hitch racks and wobble - I borrowed a hitch platform for a ski trip last weekend and it wobbled like crazy on my short trip home after I picked it up. I bought a hitch extended and clamp and once the clamp was on there was almost zero wobble.

Pics below - the blue clamp holds the extended in place and the extender has a bolt that holds the rack in place.

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender 142A9913-5EB2-408C-B0B0-A02EEBCFBDCF
Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender C776F647-D2D6-4569-B259-DADC79DDCBE0
Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender 5C4351C5-13A2-49DC-AEC5-9034118794B2

JGayler911

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sharing my setup:

Yakima 54" tracks, 4 skyline towers, 4landing pads, 2JetStream crossbars, and 2 FatCat 6.

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender 1643418281784

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender 1643418378145

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

+1 to the Kuat Pivot solution -- happy Pivot owner here, this thing is STURDY. Would feel more than comfortable putting my snowboards on a rack on it as well.

Ford Bronco here is what I found for a ski rack for less than $500 - hitch mount solution - updated with better hitch extender 1643419292903
Sponsored