Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The MSRP is a capped price and that’s what Ford is saying they won’t raise for 2022. It’s not Ford charging ADM it’s the third party dealers charging it. I’ve purchased multiple vehicles out of state, they’ve all provided me with a purchase agreement which details selling price, dealer doc fee, taxes, title and license fee. That’s what I got when I ordered my bronco at my dealer and that’s what Ford instructed everyone to do to try to avoid this.
Y'all keep repeating the same "ADM is not part of MSRP" statement, but consumers view this as bait and switch. If Ford says "price is X", and I rsvp. Then Ford and the dealer say "price is X", and I order. Then, if the dealer says " the price is really X + ADM", most consumers will think that is bullshit, even if technically legal.

The reality, unless I am wrong, nobody who has not taken possession of a Bronco has a contract for purchase. Until the dealer has the vehicle and the buyer hands over the $$$, any dealer can adjust their pricing. That fact undercuts the entire reservations system.

They won’t lose anything if there wasn’t a signed agreement in place.
What contract do you have in place that will force a dealer to sell you a product, or force a buyer to buy a product? If you can walk away from the deal, so too can the dealer and you do not have a contract, you have an agreement. Agreements require trust and honor to uphold.
Sponsored

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The MSRP is a capped price and that’s what Ford is saying they won’t raise for 2022. It’s not Ford charging ADM it’s the third party dealers charging it. I’ve purchased multiple vehicles out of state, they’ve all provided me with a purchase agreement which details selling price, dealer doc fee, taxes, title and license fee. That’s what I got when I ordered my bronco at my dealer and that’s what Ford instructed everyone to do to try to avoid this.
Probably some folks should read up on car buying, maybe checkout the various YouTube videos explaining the processes, the recommendations and things to watch out for, etc. I did that to educate myself, prior to buying my first new car from a dealership last year. Worked out ok for me.

A car can be one of the largest purchases made in life, and I feel like some people are going in under prepared and making some assumptions. I recommend not assuming anything when buying a car or making a large purchase.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is the problem, people are *assuming* the dealer is agreeing to MSRP when they order, but these dealers are not. That's why we, and FoMoCo themselves, has been clear that buyers need to actually agree on the price at time of order.

You're right, you wont have a P&S agreement until the Bronco is there and the Certificate of Origin is in the hands of the dealership... but the lack of an actual Purchase and Sale does not prevent the ability for the buyer and the dealership to enter into an agreement (contract) regarding what the price will be when it comes time to sign the P&S.

Obviously, there may be some unknowns (like financing rate, etc), but that doesn't prevent anyone from entering into an agreement to pay MSRP.

It's when people assume, because the Ford.com website lists the "suggested" price, that the dealership will take Ford's suggestion on what they should charge.

There are TONS of people here on the forum who *do* have a legal agreement with their dealer on what the price will be... and in these cases, if the dealership does decide to surprise ADM the bronco at time of deliver, that is in fact illegal.

Granted, no police officer is going to arrest your salesperson, nor would it make the fight any easier... but it's something.

And here's a fun fact: Verbal contracts are still contracts... they're just not in writing, and therefore more difficult to prove.... but you can have a "verbal contract" that was discussed in emails back and forth, and through advertisements, and all that jazz... so while you didn't "sign on the line" with a ton of latin words preceding it... it's still easier to enforce.

I am in NO WAY defending what this dealership allegedly did... my only point is that:

1. Buyers can not assume anything
2. Verbal contracts are still contracts.
I don't know if what you say is factually and legally true, especially across all 50 states. I suspect not, but I could be wrong. I suspect the dealers are well versed in saying one thing to consumers while protecting themselves for additional fees in the future.

What I do know, If Ford and the dealer network play fast and loose with the reservation system and if it is seen as bait and switch, Ford will taint the rollout of future models via a similar process. if the dealer lead the buyers to believe the price is X, which they have done, and they then charge extra fees, that will be an large brand issue.

In short, I shouldn't need a fucking lawyer to order a car. If these games persist in the process, I will opt out of future orders (and I have an rsvp on the Lightening).

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the release and build would have been done properly and on schedule, and as it was presented to us by Ford over a year ago, would dealers still be on the ADM trend? One can come up with as many conspiracies as they want from this aspect........

Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've come to realize that dealerships don't like when things escalate in their showrooms when there are customers there. I'd make a scene
I’d make a scene until they had to call the police and then get arrested for trespassing. Once arrested call the local news about the story on how the dealer screwed you. That will get the dealers attention. Or just make a big sign- “ This dealer will screw you” and stand on the road outside the dealership on a Saturday. Sometimes - non legal methods are just as effective .

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dang, was hoping there'd be an update with positive results by now...
This is exactly one of my fears getting my bronco....

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If the release and build would have been done properly and on schedule, and as it was presented to us by Ford over a year ago, would dealers still be on the ADM trend? One can come up with as many conspiracies as they want from this aspect........
Yes.... it's called supply and demand, and first year, regardless if supply met demand, it still would've been sold out, and ADM is always rampant on 1st year high demand vehicles.... look at the new vette, the new supra etc....

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes.... it's called supply and demand, and first year, regardless if supply met demand, it still would've been sold out, and ADM is always rampant on 1st year high demand vehicles.... look at the new vette, the new supra etc....
Even now not all dealers are charging ADM though. Did all dealers charge ADM on the new vette, supra, etc or just some dealers?

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Even now not all dealers are charging ADM though. Did all dealers charge ADM on the new vette, supra, etc or just some dealers?
Most dealers charged ADM on those vehicles, and some still are...
As long as a dealer can make extra cash with ADM, it will still be something...

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Exactly. Misrepresentation. Easy. Fraud. Not as easy, but not impossible. Also, in most states, oral promises are enforceable if you take action on the oral promise; especially if $ is tendered and accepted (I.e. reservation and subsequent deposit). For sport I would have filed a TRO preventing the sale, and sought the equitable remedy of specific performance (sell me the car I ordered at MSRP). You can get a TRO ex parte (without notice to the dealer). The sale would then be enjoined for 14 days without a fight. I get it, some people would sit back and take it in the shorts. That’s their prerogative. I would not, but then again I would not have to hire an attorney. It really wouldn’t be as difficult as some seem to believe.
@Razorback When you used the term "consideration" did you mean it in the legal sense as one of the things necessary for a contract to be binding? If so, do you know if a refundable deposit towards the eventual purchase price counts as consideration for contract 1 in a contract 1/contract 2 purchase scenario?
Sponsored