MNNTHBX

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend, Scion iQ, Aprilia RS660, Ural
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm about to dig in on what (to me) is a high end stereo install, and thought I'd document it so it may be of some help to others in the future.

Note: I'm not in the audio industry, but I've long had a passion for it, and running my current company (www.mnnthbx.com), I have plenty of design and fabrication ability. At 47 years old, I figured getting this new Big Bend was a good time to dive all in, and try to pull off the system of my teenage dreams.....

The goal is uncompromised sound quality, with enough power to deliver on a nice day with the top off. I'll actually get started on this, with updates in a few days, but here's most the list of the items now sitting in my garage (All from Crutchfield).

Ford Bronco High End Stereo Build Thread... Screen_Shot_2022-05-08_at_6.22.31_PM

Ford Bronco High End Stereo Build Thread... NZ6_3537-2
Sponsored

Slick85

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice! Everyone seems to love the JL W6 subs for great sound quality and SPL and the Hertz components have a good reputation as well.

MTmeterguy

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love Hertz components -- whenever my Bronco gets here I will be replacing mid bass with Hertz HSK (Hi-Energy) and I am going with Stereo Integrity's new carbon M3 up top. I have not decided on which direction for sub. Either an option like this or purchase the B/O enclosure and get the best 8" I can fit in there....That AudioControl amp looks like a great option!

I had a custom install done. I didn't want bass that would shake this thing to pieces, and I also didn't want to lose a single square inch of cargo space. I had a box made under my rear seat that fits 2 6.5" subs. I replaced all of my factory speakers as well and everything is running off a 900w JL Audio Amp now. The sound quality is unreal, and no one can believe these are 6.5" subs. Everyone assumes I have a 10".

I got to listen to the B&O system while attending the OffRoadeo, and I found that system to be absolutely nutless, especially with the top down. I went High Pkg instead and installed this system with the money I saved and could not be happier!

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm about to dig in on what (to me) is a high end stereo install, and thought I'd document it so it may be of some help to others in the future.

Note: I'm not in the audio industry, but I've long had a passion for it, and running my current company (www.mnnthbx.com), I have plenty of design and fabrication ability. At 47 years old, I figured getting this new Big Bend was a good time to dive all in, and try to pull off the system of my teenage dreams.....

The goal is uncompromised sound quality, with enough power to deliver on a nice day with the top off. I'll actually get started on this, with updates in a few days, but here's most the list of the items now sitting in my garage (All from Crutchfield).

Another phenomenal option is the Morel Virtus 603s. I have them in my Bronco on a JL Amp, and when i say there is no distortion... I mean NONE. They're so loud I feel like my ears are going to bleed when I crank it up but it's absolutely crystal clear whilst making me deaf! 🤣

OP
OP

MNNTHBX

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok, baby steps, but here's an update, starting with some basic stuff....

Easiest power cable to run ever. There's a large and easy to remove grommet high on the driver's side of the firewall.
NZ6_3557.jpg

For the ground, there's a pre-existing M8 hole just being the plastic on the left side in the back...
NZ6_3556.jpg

It will require I end up sending 6 wires to the front, but I think I'll build a rack to hold these rather large crossovers inside the subfloor at the rear...
NZ6_3558-2.jpg

We drew up some 3" speaker adapters for the rear pods today, and printed them in carbon fiber...
P1000105.jpg

NZ6_3555.jpg

Cut a hole in the lower flats of the pods to accept the tweeters, and mounted the Hertz 3's with adapters. Really happy with how this turned out....
NZ6_3561.jpg

NZ6_3560.jpg

Sponsored

gringoloco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looking good so far. Any updates this weekend?

OP
OP

MNNTHBX

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok.... I've been a bit sick and lost a little drive, but we're moving again. I'm super particular with my stuff, so I cringe at the idea of cutting anything up, but I dove in and mounted the massive Hertz soft dome tweeter pods into the corners of the dash, using two push pins. They're super solid, and look pretty good to my eye...
Ford Bronco High End Stereo Build Thread... DSC_3723

Ford Bronco High End Stereo Build Thread... DSC_3726

I printed more brackets for the 3" Hertz mids and added a little boom mat gasket to kill any vibes off. Easy drop in affair...
Ford Bronco High End Stereo Build Thread... DSC_3722

Ford Bronco High End Stereo Build Thread... DSC_3724

The 6.5's went into some thick adapters I ordered online, from Sounds Good Stereo (or something to that effect).
Ford Bronco High End Stereo Build Thread... DSC_3727

Ford left plenty of room to run cables, and that's good, as I have 4 going up each site of the truck, plus the power cable...
Ford Bronco High End Stereo Build Thread... DSC_3731

With the front done, and taking a break, leaving this for tomorrow. I need to run the rear pod wiring down, and sort everything to and from the crossover rack...
Ford Bronco High End Stereo Build Thread... DSC_3721

CarbonBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota $runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is an awesome build thread!!! Really looking forward to your thoughts on a 3 way setup in the bronco. I pulled my focal flax 2 ways out of my last rig to run in the bronco I really wish they made a focal flax 4” coaxial so I could fit it in the rear pods but I ended up with ac100 4” coaxials. I’m currently just wrapping up tuning power wire and should be re firing up my focal 5 channel again soon in the bronco. The stereo has been my biggest complaint in this thing. Who knows maybe I look into a flax 3 way if yours sounds as amazing as I think it will.

Slick85

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So you are putting rear fill in a two door? Is it because you typically have rear passengers or just like being surrounded by speakers?

OP
OP

MNNTHBX

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So you are putting rear fill in a two door? Is it because you typically have rear passengers or just like being surrounded by speakers?
No passengers. You always want rear fill. They'll be set to the appropriate level in the DSP amp.

Sponsored

Slick85

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No passengers. You always want rear fill. They'll be set to the appropriate level in the DSP amp.
Why 'always'? I had Focal components in a Tahoe previously and basically turned the rear fill off... from what I have read if you have top of the line components in the front you don't really need it...

OP
OP

MNNTHBX

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's personal preference, so if you prefer nothing in the rear, go that route. There's a reason EVERY stereo in the world has rear speakers, and it's not exclusively for people in the back....

OP
OP

MNNTHBX

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm probably not going to win many awards for wire management, but it's all secure and out of sight...
NZ6_3733.jpg