Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hypothetically speaking, if I had a friend looking for some pants vibration, how would I......I mean him go about doing that......
They make vibration motors that you install under the seats that operate much like a noiseless subwoofer. They wire into the sound system and operate off the bass notes. Stupid on their own, but I've heard they add a nice little over-the-edge touch to a system that already had decent subs.

Personally the last car I put subs in was my 97 supercab ranger, so with pair of 12s right behind me, adding more vibration didn't seem necessary.
Sponsored

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have installed many sound systems in various vehicles over the years, and without even hearing the Bronco systems I can relate with high confidence the following observations:

1) The B&O system will undoubtedly "sound better" for the vast majority of people. This is very subjective and the difference will likely be called out as either "better bass", "more defined clarity with less distortion at higher volumes", and "Larger sound stage".

2) Even though the B&O system will produce "better" sound, for many people it will not be determined to be an amazing difference. Yes better, but not earthshaking. I have always found, however, that the more of an audiophile a person is, the larger the difference they will hear in better systems (i.e. the B&O will actually sound much better for the discerning ear).

3) Note that the sheer, physical construct of the B&O system is what makes the difference . . . 10 speaker placements instead of 6, a dedicated subwoofer, a more powerful amp with tuned crossovers, and an overall "system" designed by sound engineers with components that work together in producing the most appropriate soundstage for the interior of the Bronco. Remember, however, that sound measurements by engineers would have been performed in a fully enclosed cabin, therefore with the doors removed and top pulled back or removed, the sound of ANY system will be wildly impacted . . . do not expect either system to sound great with an open body.

4) I personally believe that the base sound system (non B&O) would be SUBSTANTIALLY improved by replacing the speakers with higher quality, more efficient units (I am partial to Focal) and adding a subwoofer with it's own, dedicated amp. In my judgement this can be done fairly economically when using a brand that has a decent cross-section for "high quality and reasonable price", such as Pioneer. I only recommend checking the power specs of the Bronco's head unit (amp) to be sure it is capable of feeding the new speakers.

Last edited:

TJ308

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Ford Mustang LX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent advice. I have the high package and the sound system definitely needs an upgrade. Yesterday we took the Bronco to a shop to get some ideas. For a non ideal solution they quoted us at 1500. We are going to wait until more after market solutions come out. Preferably something like the JL audio setup seen in Jeep’s.
Sames, ive ran JL audio since I got my first car when I was 15 and never looked back, I may be biased but I definitely would say I have yet to hear a better/cleaner set up than a JL one

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have installed many sound systems in various vehicles over the years, and without even hearing the Bronco systems I can relate with high confidence the following observations:

1) The B&O system will undoubtedly "sound better" for the vast majority of people. This is very subjective and the difference will likely be called out as either "better bass", "more defined clarity with less distortion at higher volumes", and "Larger sound stage".

2) Even though the B&O system will produce "better" sound, for many people it will not be determined to be an amazing difference. Yes better, but not earthshaking. I have always found, however, that the more of an audiophile a person is, the larger the difference they will hear in better systems (i.e. the B&O will actually sound much better for the discerning ear).

3) Note that the sheer, physical construct of the B&O system is what makes the difference . . . 10 speaker placements instead of 6, a dedicated subwoofer, a more powerful amp with tuned crossovers, and an overall "system" designed by sound engineers with components that work together in producing the most appropriate soundstage for the interior of the Bronco. Remember, however, that sound measurements by engineers would have been performed in a fully enclosed cabin, therefore with the doors removed and top pulled back or removed, the sound of ANY system will be wildly impacted . . . do not expect either system to sound great with an open body.

4) I personally believe that the base sound system (non B&O) would be SUBSTANTIALLY improved by replacing the speakers with higher quality, more efficient units (I am partial to Focal) and adding a subwoofer with it's own, dedicated amp. In my judgement this can be done fairly economically when using a brand that has a decent cross-section for "high quality and reasonable price", such as Pioneer. I only recommend checking the power specs of the Bronco's head unit (amp) to be sure it is capable of feeding the new speakers.
I have focal in a cart, just waiting for the Bronco
I had a 72 with an alpine stereo, 2 6x9s mounted in a padded metal box with 2 tweeters up front. In 1978 if was freaking awesome.

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I tested the base sounds system on my dealer's demo, I am satisfied, I can use something better but honestly not to the point where I can justify upgrading from High to Lux, High comes with everything I wanted and more than what I needed.
I suggest you try the base if you didn't do that yet and decide if it worths spending the extra $$$$.

Sponsored

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Listen to the man above! He knows all!

Last edited:

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wheeling, no need for a system, need to hear and feel the trail.
Okay. Fine. Why are you in this thread?

Fixed the last part for ya.

The stock system will be just fine if you are deaf, or listen to Kid Rock.
Strike that. Even Kid Rock deserves better than the base Ford system.

Last edited:

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I recommend running all factory and add sub with amp that includes crossover. You will be surprised at playing the smaller speakers as designed then adding a solid base to pull it through. You can always change out speakers beyond that if needed but unless you are planning on ripping “Lightning Crashes” at max volume, I think most will be happy.

whatyhow

First Edition
First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yugo
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Isn’t it audiophile?
That's a good question. Auto manufacturers have been getting into bed with different speaker manufactures for a while now. Whether it's Cadillac with BOSE or Fender with Nissan or Levinson with Lexus. I think the auto engineers realized they could learn something from the audio engineer guys. The marketing guys really like to smack that name on their sales brochures. However as an audiophile, there's usually something that could've been done a little bit better if only had spent more money on a specific component or several different components. I'm sure these auto makers are saying build me the best system you can at this budget. That being said, most of these systems sound pretty decent. Can they sound better, yes. Each piece, amplification, speaker etc can be upgraded. Speaker size, Lower thermal harmonic distortion or simply more decibel output. The difficult thing with the bronco is that the inside sound level with a soft top is around 68- 70 DB at highway speed. That's a lot to overcome. When you couple that with limited speaker placement options, how much better can it really get. If I had a mid or high package I would definitely upgrade the speakers. It's not a ton of money and I could do it myself and It will make a noticeable difference. I have not heard the B&O system in the Bronco yet. 4" drivers that are in the rear pods and in the dash cannot produce the lower mid range sounds. I just don't see how the system is not going to sound hollow. It's really not B&O fault or Fords. The vehicle was built around off-road capabilities and a sound system is basically an afterthought. On a typical car/truck the door it's self is used as a resonator cabinet. Bose has always tried to use porting to create these mid range sounds with a smaller driver. The Bronco is limited in these ways. There will be aftermarket solutions that will make it better. However, the bronco is never going to be a great sound platform. They gave that up when they chose to make it an open aired vehicle.

Sponsored

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've driven Broncos with the high package and the lux package.

The sound in the high package truly sucks. It's tinny and thin. If you get the high package or lower, I'd anticipate spending significant money for an immediate upgrade.

The sound in the lux package was not great, but it was light years better than the high package and will be livable. I accepted a long time ago that this type of vehicle would not have the usual quality of sound I want in a vehicle due to its design and purpose. I'm ok with that. But I still view the B&O as the very minimum I'd accept in terms of sound. I am getting the lux package and will likely upgrade the speakers. Historically, I've been a fan of Kicker when it comes to car audio, but I'll do some comparisons b/c it's been 6 years or so since we upgraded the system in my son's car.

Plus, I like the integrated garage opener and ACC.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s not a bad point. I’ve never driven a car with adaptive cruise control.
My dad has it in his Subaru and really seems to like it.

I pity you with LA traffic. I lived in Marina del Rey for @8 years so I can sympathize.

If a “decent” sound system is honestly going to cost that much I might as well stick with the B&O for the price and all the other upgrades. Heated steering wheel does sound pretty nice for Colorado mountain winters
If you've never had a heated steering wheel or adaptive cruise, I'd definitely recommend giving Lux a shot if the end price difference isn't going to be that much based on upgrading the system yourself.

A heated steering wheel is a luxury I always thought was silly. Now I'll never go back.

Adaptive cruise is the same for me, but I know it's not for everyone.

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have focal in a cart, just waiting for the Bronco
I had a 72 with an alpine stereo, 2 6x9s mounted in a padded metal box with 2 tweeters up front. In 1978 if was freaking awesome.
Wow that's fabulous . . . I was performing audio installs in the late 70's using exclusively Alpine and Blaupunkt components . . . you can just imagine the insane upgrade in audio quality over the stock factory sound systems of those days! I am sure your Alpine rocked!!

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do the speaker locations differ between hi and lux?

What is the different in terms of power from the head unit?

Does the the lux give more options, like pre-amp out?

Seems like it would be good to know the actual physical difference between the two....
Sponsored