First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a good question. Auto manufacturers have been getting into bed with different speaker manufactures for a while now. Whether it's Cadillac with BOSE or Fender with Nissan or Levinson with Lexus. I think the auto engineers realized they could learn something from the audio engineer guys. The marketing guys really like to smack that name on their sales brochures. However as an audiophile, there's usually something that could've been done a little bit better if only had spent more money on a specific component or several different components. I'm sure these auto makers are saying build me the best system you can at this budget. That being said, most of these systems sound pretty decent. Can they sound better, yes. Each piece, amplification, speaker etc can be upgraded. Speaker size, Lower thermal harmonic distortion or simply more decibel output. The difficult thing with the bronco is that the inside sound level with a soft top is around 68- 70 DB at highway speed. That's a lot to overcome. When you couple that with limited speaker placement options, how much better can it really get. If I had a mid or high package I would definitely upgrade the speakers. It's not a ton of money and I could do it myself and It will make a noticeable difference. I have not heard the B&O system in the Bronco yet. 4" drivers that are in the rear pods and in the dash cannot produce the lower mid range sounds. I just don't see how the system is not going to sound hollow. It's really not B&O fault or Fords. The vehicle was built around off-road capabilities and a sound system is basically an afterthought. On a typical car/truck the door it's self is used as a resonator cabinet. Bose has always tried to use porting to create these mid range sounds with a smaller driver. The Bronco is limited in these ways. There will be aftermarket solutions that will make it better. However, the bronco is never going to be a great sound platform. They gave that up when they chose to make it an open aired vehicle.
I think you nailed this . . . B&O was handcuffed with the Bronco's interior. Speakers way up front using the dash and kick panels , then nothing until all the way back. Not only are the doors off limits to help balance the soundstage, but doors that are insulated correctly can make marvelous baffles for speakers which is a big help (much better than those kick panels, IMO). I agree that they did the best they could under the circumstances.
Sponsored

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do the speaker locations differ between hi and lux?

What is the different in terms of power from the head unit?

Does the the lux give more options, like pre-amp out?

Seems like it would be good to know the actual physical difference between the two....
As far as speaker placements, take a look at these images. As far as power, I have not seen anything that speaks to this yet, although perhaps someone here in the Bronco6g community has addressed it in a different thread. I will say, however, that most factory units have no more than about 10 - 15 watts RMS maximum output. Even if they advertise a 200 watt system, it is more than likely drawing power from an amplifier rated at 50w (peak) by 4 channels . . . but the actual rating could be 15 - 18w per channel (as peak wattage is distributed and transformed into RMS, it basically draws down to 13-18 watt RMS per channel).

Ha, I am getting too geeky here . . . sorry . . . so I will just say that the stock system is probably underwhelming for the average audiophile, and the B&O system has upgraded power due to supplying more speakers and especially the sub (unless it has its own, dedicated amp). For the pre-amp out, again I do not know for sure, but I would not count on it. I am guessing someone else on the forum has that information.

My recommendation for Bronco, I would upgrade the base system with new speakers and a subwoofer with dedicated amp, and MAYBE leave the B&O system "as is" after hearing it . . . but perhaps upgrade the speakers using Focal woofers/tweeters if I end up being disappointed with B&O performance. As I say, it is all subjective to each listener.

1624590037012.png

Bronco-BO-Speaker-Locations.png

94Bravo

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150, 2014 Lexus IS350, 2008 Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That’s a lot of information - thank you! I’m not looking for a stereo system that’s going to blow anyone’s mind…

I just like listening to music when I drive. Doesn’t need “wow” factor or anything. Just needs to be not straight garbage.
If I had the sense that the base system was “decent” I’d be ok with that.

I just want a system where I can turn on music and not be blown away by how bad it sounds 🤷🏻‍♂️
I work at a Ford dealer and drive a lot of vehicles. I like the base system as much as the B&O system. Why pay for the B&O if you plan to spend money possibly upgrading? Also what type of music do you listen to? I listen to mostly rock and a little country so the Base system is fine for me. I hope this helps.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It'll be interesting to see what kind of audio builds people come up with, given the limited space and speaker placement.

There's several audio builds threads at the Flex forum where people struggle to find anywhere to put an aftermarket sub without losing functionality. The only vehicle-specific kit involves permanently cutting a hole in a rather pricey interior trim piece. I hope the Bronco doesn't have the same problem.

SB-F-FLX-10W3v3-IC.jpg

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got done re-doing the entire high audio system, twice. I dont care for ACC (as Rick Astley appropriately pointed out the reasons why), heated wheel would be nice but no big deal, so on so on.

Its not "terrible" stock, but simply buying and upgrading the 4" speakers on the dash and pods with some bass blockers its a vastly improved system. I first replaced the 6.5s with Infinity References, replaced them back to stock speakers less than a day after. The high end is clear now which it isnt fully stock, its got ok bottom end and lower volumes, and by adding a self-powered sub (i.e. - kicker hideaway, infinity CM(?), etc) it will transform everything.

Sponsored

MustangRanch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT350, 11 GT500, 20 GT500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine is the high. Sound system flat out sucks

Wifes is lux, sound system isnt bad at all

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow that's fabulous . . . I was performing audio installs in the late 70's using exclusively Alpine and Blaupunkt components . . . you can just imagine the insane upgrade in audio quality over the stock factory sound systems of those days! I am sure your Alpine rocked!!
Has a huge 8 track deck for awhile then the Alpine cassette. I loved those front tweeters and the padded boxes never vibrated, compared to the factory single speaker I was in heaven.

FB_IMG_1627676449658.jpg

FB_IMG_1623900528153.jpg

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has a huge 8 track deck for awhile then the Alpine cassette. I loved those front tweeters and the padded boxes never vibrated, compared to the factory single speaker I was in heaven.

FB_IMG_1627676449658.jpg

FB_IMG_1623900528153.jpg
Nice!!!

Civkik

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '18 Wrangler Rubicon, '18 R1M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went Lux package for sound system, heated seats and wireless charger. The B&O is pretty good. I'm a rock and roll/ heavy metal type person and it is great for this style of music. My wife likes hip hop and such. Our Jeep does a better job for that type of music. It could be a little better, but I am satisfied enough to not want to go aftermarket... yet.

Shesadragon

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think this video does a good job explaining the upgrading. It's pretty easy. That will eventually become especially true when a wiring harness adapter is eventually available so that you can plug and play instead of having to cut the wiring.

You'd think if they took all that time to record a video for everyone, they would have picked music that didn't make our ears bleed.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't heard the base audio system, but just listening to SiriusXM w/ B&O, I think it sounds muddled and compressed in a way that I hadn't experienced since the first crappy MP3s first appeared in the late 90s. But that's probably just an indictment of SiriusXM's horrible compression.

However, the adaptive cruise control is a game-changer for road trips. Just 'set & forget', and pass if you feel it slow down. ACC lets you focus on the big rigs that are trying to kill you instead of trying to maintain 2+ seconds behind the car in front of you. And I'm diggin' the heated steering wheel, after having been a 'just wear gloves' kinda guy for decades.

I don't understand the appeal of wireless charging. Plugging in a cord takes less than a second. I've used my wireless charging, but it seems like no great convenience. Wireless Android Auto is way more important to me, and thankfully, that actually works (so far) with my Bronco/Pixel 7 combo.
Sponsored

Last edited: