Sponsored

High transmission temperature while rock crawling!

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just wondering if others are seeing this same thing. As we are cruising down the highway, the highest trans temps that I have seen is about 201 F. However, when rock crawling in 4-low or going slow over rough terrain in 1st gear (4-high), the temps get up to 214 degrees. I assume the high temps are due to a lack of airflow over the trans cooler. I also assume that 214 degrees is on the high side of normal. But it is interesting to me that the temps get so high when there is not a lot of strain on the transmission. Anyone else seeing this or have any thoughts on whether or not this behavior is normal?
Sponsored

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are trans temps viewable from the dash, or do you have an aftermarket guage?

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Temps are on the stock dash.
Are trans temps viewable from the dash, or do you have an aftermarket guage?
Viewable from the "gauges" section of the stock dash.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Just wondering if others are seeing this same thing. As we are cruising down the highway, the highest trans temps that I have seen is about 201 F. However, when rock crawling in 4-low or going slow over rough terrain in 1st gear (4-high), the temps get up to 214 degrees. I assume the high temps are due to a lack of airflow over the trans cooler. I also assume that 214 degrees is on the high side of normal. But it is interesting to me that the temps get so high when there is not a lot of strain on the transmission. Anyone else seeing this or have any thoughts on whether or not this behavior is normal?
The higher trans temps when going slow is because the torque converter isn't locked in the lower gears, so more heat is generated from the torque converter slip. In higher gears the converter locks and there's no slip, so less heat. Don't know exactly when the Bronco converter locks up, something to be learned.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which is why I have an aftermarket fan-cooled trans cooler on my jeep. Even stop and go in traffic (let alone rock crawling) gets my trans temps up there for the fan to kick on. Manually cooled coolers just didnt work for me with the larger tires & 4.88 gearing. The 10r60 shouldn't be as drastic compared to my jeep trans as it tends to run hot to begin with.

Sponsored

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have seen the Bronco tranny temps around 200-205 at 100* in Moab. My truck runs 180-190 in those temps locked up on the highway with the optional tranny cooler. You can only transfer so much heat when the ambient air is hot, fans or not.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

did these temps trigger any warning lights or alarms? or was it within normal operating temperatures? high normal and low normal are normal.

OP
OP
sledboy

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
did these temps trigger any warning lights or alarms? or was it within normal operating temperatures? high normal and low normal are normal.
No warning lights came on.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep perfectly normal for an automatic trans to get hot. Its what they do. How long you let it get hot will determine how long it lives. A 10 degree difference in slow speed and high speed isnt bad. If you add any weight at or near its load rating I would add a big ole cooler to it. I will be happy with my manual.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
A quick search online shows that this range appears to be completely normal for Ford 10-speeds, but who knows. I’ve seen mine anywhere from 190-205ish during normal operation

Sponsored

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve seen mine at 210 just normal driving around town. I’ve also climbed some long hills at 80 mph and 110 degree weather without any issues at all.

acnp2022

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just drove a few hundred miles going up and down mountains going through Vermont and didn't have any issues. Temp was always less 220 and that was in 90 degree heat
Sponsored