Sponsored

High vs Lux adaptive driving and broken windshields?

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My FJ windshield loves rocks.... I leave the windshield cracked until I get a ticket or can’t see....
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right. The rate increase will still likely be less than a fancy-ass windshield but I'd rather not pay for either.

If I got a new windshield for every crack I'd likely be looking at one or two windshields every year. Here most need to pay the deductible (unless of course you have better coverage) but there is no issues getting a new one. They will ding you on your rates though for that many claims. I drive with mine cracked for two years at least before I get a new one.
And the small rate increase is much cheaper than paying out of pocket like you said. But I'm in the situation that I want the claims scrubbed from my record before getting new Bronco coverage. Just damn bad luck that I caught another rock in January. It is going to stay chipped and I hope it doesn't spread. If so, I'll have to replace it out of pocket in order to trade it in.

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Edited my post to where we lived.. 80461, Leadville.. I assume places like Vail/Breck/Gunnison would be the same way.
We've had glass coverage in Crested Butte (Gunnison county) for decades. (State Farm). While the "sand" isn't as huge as in the earlier picture it's at least pea gravel. In addition to windshield damage I'm also concerned with rock pits on the front facing surfaces (will need PPF there) and front doors given the spray patterns in the pics of test mules. Compared to the cost of some of the mega-windshields (Tesla Model X or Lucid Air) or ones with stuff in them (e.g. Range Rover Heated Windshield) I would expect the insurance companies to have an easier time with sensor realignment.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glass coverage isn't available everywhere, especially in places that have heavy winters/put down cinders..almost gravel. I could not get glass coverage in Colorado. Our cars were all sandblasted. Windshields on our Jeep and FJ rarely lasted 2-3 years.
Are you sure? I've never handled CO claims but was in claims for years.

Comprehensive coverage covers windshields.

Couldn't find on Google articles about CO being able to exclude w/s damage from comp.

Deleted member 3063

The radar is there on the Mid. Camera-based emergency braking systems are not as effective and radars are relatively cheap to buy/program for manufacturers.
But you're probably right, everything in theory for adaptive cruise would be there minus the steering wheel switches.
;) It's hard getting back on the OPs question but in the wife's 2020 Escape with 360+

Adaptive cruise, emergency braking - bumper mount radar. Ice, snow and slush can disable these features. If the adaptive cruise fails it does not default back to regular cruise. You either need to clean sensor or go into settings and select regular cruise. First hand experience.
https://owner.ford.com/support/how-...-use-collision-warning-with-brake-assist.html

Lane departure/ lane centering, auto high beams, rain sensors - windshield mounted camera pod.
You will probably need the cameras calibrated after a windshield replacement if LD or LC are optioned. A small change in the camera location will make the feature useless.
Calibration could double the cost of a replacement, check to see if you're covered.

calibration

Sponsored
OP
OP
edgeflyer

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For those that are mentioning the insurance coverage, you are also forgetting the insurance rate hike for making the claim. I've replaced 2 windshields in the past 4 years with no other insurance claim and my my rate has increased. I just caught another traveling on I-10, but I'm not going to bother making the claim this time as my rate should be dropping before getting my Bronco as it will be more than 12 months since my last claim.
This is the exact reason I ask. You will pay in the end. I always catch them early with rock chipmrepair kits, but after so many chips or spiders, a new windshield is inevitable.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Are you sure? I've never handled CO claims but was in claims for years.

Comprehensive coverage covers windshields.

Couldn't find on Google articles about CO being able to exclude w/s damage from comp.
Ok yes comp cover glass, but if your deductible is $250 or higher, it basically means that your windshield isn't covered... real glass coverage has no deductible. I have it now in Seattle, I could never get it in Leadville. Maybe things have changed, maybe my agent as inept

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My FJ windshield loves rocks.... I leave the windshield cracked until I get a ticket or can’t see....
Man I can’t tell ya how many windshields I went through on my FJ...
Stop counting... like a piece of plywood driving down the highway..

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have had the windshield replaced (100.00 deductible) on my Raptor with ACC twice and zero issue.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok yes comp cover glass, but if your deductible is $250 or higher, it basically means that your windshield isn't covered... real glass coverage has no deductible. I have it now in Seattle, I could never get it in Leadville. Maybe things have changed, maybe my agent as inept
Depends. If your deductible is $250 and you need the ws replaced you're good. It'll cost more than 250 to replace.

Regarding "real glass coverage". Comp is real glass coverage. It just doesn't work the same in all states.

Example FL. If you have comp, regardless of your comp ded, the ws is free.

In other states you have to pay your deductible.
Sponsored