Sponsored

High vs Lux adaptive driving and broken windshields?

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
  • Banned
For those a little more in the know about the Ford driver nannies, do the driver aids that come with the high package have the sonar and camera sensors behind the windshield that need alignment after windshield replacement like the lux with adaptive cruise? I was going to go lux, but after getting a call from my wife that her CX-5 took another rock to the glass, I'm over $1200 windshields. Will high package have the electronic like lux?
Sponsored

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

For those a little more in the know about the Ford driver nannies, do the driver aids that come with the high package have the sonar and camera sensors behind the windshield that need alignment after windshield replacement like the lux with adaptive cruise? I was going to go lux, but after getting a call from my wife that her CX-5 took another rock to the glass, I'm over $1200 windshields. Will high package have the electronic like lux?
I have to ask, why isn't your insurance covering the windshields?

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV. 22 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yea man you can call your insurance company and get windshield coverage for like $1 extra month. At least that's how much it is with State Farm.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yea man you can call your insurance company and get windshield coverage for like $1 extra month. At least that's how much it is with State Farm.
Glass coverage isn't available everywhere, especially in places that have heavy winters/put down cinders..almost gravel. I could not get glass coverage in Colorado. Our cars were all sandblasted. Windshields on our Jeep and FJ rarely lasted 2-3 years.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now I’ve heard it all...yeah, better plan very, very carefully around the packages, due to potential broken windshield cost variance.

Sponsored

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Glass coverage isn't available everywhere, especially in places that have heavy winters/put down cinders..almost gravel. I could not get glass coverage in Colorado. Our cars were all sandblasted. Windshields on our Jeep and FJ rarely lasted 2-3 years.
I live in Colorado and was able to get class coverage... I'm lucky if a windshield lasts one year here.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Glass coverage isn't available everywhere, especially in places that have heavy winters/put down cinders..almost gravel. I could not get glass coverage in mountains of Colorado. Our cars were all sandblasted. Windshields on our Jeep and FJ rarely lasted 2-3 years. We lived in Leadville and couldn't get glass coverage from State Farm, Liberty, Alstate

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Born and raised in the 81657 (Vail) and I could get it.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Adaptive cruise (Lux) and emergency braking (Mid and up) is handled by the radar mounted in the front bumper. LDWS (Mid and up) is handled by the camera behind the windshield.

Depending on how Ford implemented it, the camera and radar can "talk" to each other to get a better picture of what's going on in front of you.

I'll see myself out.

Sponsored

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eastern WA glass coverage no problem.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I live in Colorado and was able to get class coverage... I'm lucky if a windshield lasts one year here.
I don't even bother replacing windshields anymore, I'm lucky to get a few months between chips. They "sand" the roads with gravel up here. They used this on my road last winter. Not even kidding, I watched the DOT truck lay this down.

Ford Bronco High vs Lux adaptive driving and broken windshields? 20181231_121420(1)

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think emergency braking is actually camera based on the mid package. It gets a bit "better" on lux with the radar in place. I would not anticipate any radar on the mid or high, because once you pay for the radar, you have everything you need for adaptive cruise.
The radar is there on the Mid. Camera-based emergency braking systems are not as effective and radars are relatively cheap to buy/program for manufacturers.

But you're probably right, everything in theory for adaptive cruise would be there minus the steering wheel switches.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For those that are mentioning the insurance coverage, you are also forgetting the insurance rate hike for making the claim. I've replaced 2 windshields in the past 4 years with no other insurance claim and my my rate has increased. I just caught another traveling on I-10, but I'm not going to bother making the claim this time as my rate should be dropping before getting my Bronco as it will be more than 12 months since my last claim.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For those that are mentioning the insurance coverage, you are also forgetting the insurance rate hike for making the claim. I've replaced 2 windshields in the past 4 years with no other insurance claim and my my rate has increased. I just caught another traveling on I-10, but I'm not going to bother making the claim this time as my rate should be dropping before getting my Bronco as it will be more than 12 months since my last claim.
Right. The rate increase will still likely be less than a fancy-ass windshield but I'd rather not pay for either.

If I got a new windshield for every crack I'd likely be looking at one or two windshields every year. Here most need to pay the deductible (unless of course you have better coverage) but there is no issues getting a new one. They will ding you on your rates though for that many claims. I drive with mine cracked for two years at least before I get a new one.
Sponsored