Sponsored

Highway speeds in 4H - did I hurt my transmission?

texashoya

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Y'all. I'm an idiot. Just got my 2dr Base, 2.3 MT last week. Yesterday I had to drive in a CRAZY downpour, so I put my manual into 4H to negotiate the very wet roads...kept it around 50/55 MPH due to the weather. Apparently this is not the thing to do, which I know now. But I made it home in one piece.

Today--still raining a bit, but not that hard--headed back into town, about 25 miles away, highway all the way, scooted along around 60-70 MPH the whole time.

When I got to town, I noticed a "new" sound and very slightly rough clutch feedback when shifting through N-1-2-3. I immediately thought of this thread (and this one), and thought I was in some serious trouble. Went about my business in town, all low speeds. Then, as I got back on the highway, I saw that I'd been in 4H the whole damn time. No wonder the shifting was different. When I went back into 2H, all strangeness disappeared.

My concern (and question for anyone who takes the time to read this long, boring post): did I possibly do any serious damage to the transmission by going 60-70 MPH in 4H for 25 full miles? The owner's manual is silent on any upper speed limit for 4H, but does say not to use it on dry, paved roads (the roads were fairly slick today, so that's lucky).

And...now I know to always switch out of 4 wheel drive before shutting 'er down. Edit: And not to use 4x4 on wet roads, period.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™m not qualified to answer your main question, but I do know the goat modes automatically reset each time the vehicle is turned off (thereā€™s a prompt asking if you want to stay in goat mode when you turn it on the next time which cancels if you donā€™t select ā€œokā€).
so next time the downpour happens you can use goat modes and not have to remember to get out of 4H when you reach destination.

OP
OP
texashoya

texashoya

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™m not qualified to answer your main question, but I do know the goat modes automatically reset each time the vehicle is turned off (thereā€™s a prompt asking if you want to stay in goat mode when you turn it on the next time which cancels if you donā€™t select ā€œokā€).
so next time the downpour happens you can use goat modes and not have to remember to get out of 4H when you reach destination.
That's very helpful--thanks! "Slippery" it is!

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This was an extreme downpour--like, an inch of water rushing across the highway and significant risk of hydroplaning.
Slow down and maintain an appropriate speed šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø how do those mustangs and civics navigate rain?

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This was an extreme downpour--like, an inch of water rushing across the highway and significant risk of hydroplaning.
4wd will do nothing to prevent hydroplaning.

Reducing speed will do a lot to reduce hydroplaning.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Slow down and maintain an appropriate speed šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø how do those mustangs and civics navigate rain?
they slide off the roads because they left the rain tires at home

clhman

Wildtrak
First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super-Duty
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have driven my F250 in 4H for 5-6 months a year for the last 11 years. At 103K miles, no damage is reported. It will make more noise than 2H on dry pavement, but the short time you drove that way will not hurt it.

OP
OP
texashoya

texashoya

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have driven my F250 in 4H for 5-6 months a year for the last 11 years. At 103K miles, no damage is reported. It will make more noise than 2H on dry pavement, but the short time you drove that way will not hurt it.
This is super helpful--real world feedback is the best feedback. Thank you!
Sponsored