Sponsored

Highway speeds in 4H - did I hurt my transmission?

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Y'all. I'm an idiot. Just got my 2dr Base, 2.3 MT last week. Yesterday I had to drive in a CRAZY downpour, so I put my manual into 4H to negotiate the very wet roads...kept it around 50/55 MPH due to the weather. Apparently this is not the thing to do, which I know now. But I made it home in one piece.

Today--still raining a bit, but not that hard--headed back into town, about 25 miles away, highway all the way, scooted along around 60-70 MPH the whole time.

When I got to town, I noticed a "new" sound and very slightly rough clutch feedback when shifting through N-1-2-3. I immediately thought of this thread (and this one), and thought I was in some serious trouble. Went about my business in town, all low speeds. Then, as I got back on the highway, I saw that I'd been in 4H the whole damn time. No wonder the shifting was different. When I went back into 2H, all strangeness disappeared.

My concern (and question for anyone who takes the time to read this long, boring post): did I possibly do any serious damage to the transmission by going 60-70 MPH in 4H for 25 full miles? The owner's manual is silent on any upper speed limit for 4H, but does say not to use it on dry, paved roads (the roads were fairly slick today, so that's lucky).

And...now I know to always switch out of 4 wheel drive before shutting 'er down. Edit: And not to use 4x4 on wet roads, period.
Why didnā€™t you just put it in wet slippery mode which is 4a 4h a d 4l are for off-road use only like mud loose gravel . You probably ruined your bronco
Sponsored

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If there was a center differential, it would be locked in 4HI / 4LO. That's the way the 4Runner full-time case is, for example. However, there isn't a center differential. On Bronco's base t-cases, it is simply either engaged (locked in) or not. On the 4A t-case, it has a clutch to drive the front on-demand, then a hard lock function for 4HI / 4LO. Ford doesn't have any transfer cases with an actual center diff anymore.
the front diff does have a center disconnect on the part time systems

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the front diff does have a center disconnect on the part time systems
That's not the same thing as a center differential. What you're talking about disconnects one of the front CV shafts from the front diff when in 2WD so that the front diff / ring & pinion / prop shaft can all stop rotating and not add system drag.

A center differential is a diff in the transfer case that splits power between the front axle and the rear axle. All drive torque goes into the center diff and then is divided to the axles. This is the basis of a fundamental full-time AWD system.

These are completely different animals.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Huh? How do you think I get to work in the Colorado winters and mountains taking the interstate. I drive in 4H whether it be my wrangler or my f150.

pimpjuice

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This forum has an exceptional number of total 4wd newbies who don't understand what 4wd actually accomplishes or how it works
Me. You are describing me.
I've only used 4wd once when stuck in beach sand in a rented jeep. I don't know when or where to use my different drives and at this point, I'm afraid to ask.

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This was an extreme downpour--like, an inch of water rushing across the highway and significant risk of hydroplaning.
That is NOT a 4wd situation. Snow, ice, mud, rocks, dirt = 4wd. Rain of all varieties on pavement = 2wd and proper speed. If you damaged anything it would be the transfer case. Advise not to tell anyone at a dealership service department as they will likely enjoy a hearty laugh and then inform you itā€™s not covered due to operator error.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s actually good to use 4H occasionally, even if you donā€™t need it. Youā€™re good.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This was an extreme downpour--like, an inch of water rushing across the highway and significant risk of hydroplaning.
4WD will do absolutely nothing against hydroplaning, nothing but reduced speed will. Just as it won't make it safe to go normal dry pavement speed on slippery/icy/snowy/muddy roads. It also does nothing to help you breaking if you go too fast in those conditions.

But I doubt you damaged anything here. Just stay in 2WD and slow down next time. Lots of people new to 4WD or AWD think they can go just as fast as usual in those conditions, as if that system had some super powers and came with extra gravity. Well, sometimes it does, pulling them into the ditch.

Last edited:

Sponsored

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is why I like A4.. in Wyoming I hated my jeep with manual transfer case. Either 2H or 4H and I would have to pull over to change it. When you are going from clean pavement to icy pavement depending on the shade it makes getting to the mountain a pain

The Memedalorian

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Chevys
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nope, you're good. People do this all the time.

I used to do this in extremely rainy weather with my old Ford Ranger.

As long as the pavement isn't dry, you won't hurt it.

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm here to offer absolutely no helpful feedback, but also tell you to SLOW DOWN! Also, STAY OFF MY GRASS, TURN YOUR MUSIC DOWN, AND YOU'RE STAYING UP TOO LATE

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4WD will do absolutely nothing against hydroplaning, nothing but reduced speed will. Just as it won't make it safe to go normal dry pavement speed on slippery/icy/snowy/muddy roads. It also does nothing to help you breaking if you go too fast in those conditions.

But I doubt you damaged anything here. Just stay in 2WD and slow down next time. Lots of people new to 4WD or AWD think they can go just as fast as usual in those conditions, as if that system had some super powers and came with extra gravity. Well, sometimes it does, pulling them into the ditch.
Yes, definitely do not use 4Wd to drive faster. I almost never use 4WD on the highway. I prefer to stay in 2wd so I know the road conditions and my vehicles capabilities in said road conditions. When and if I do go to 4wd, it is at the same speed or slower.
Sponsored