Sponsored

Hill Decent Control (on auto transmission) = the most quirky Bronco feature I learned from my Off-Roadeo experience

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like we just uncovered some weird assembly line mistake or something. Do you have a 2.3 or 2.7?
2.7 Yeah when I saw yours I was like... 'wait a second'

Edit: In thinking on this. Since the badlands comes with the 2.3 Manual, and the 2.7 is not standard. That would make sense that they forgot to change the knob icon. I work in quality and that seems like something that would be missed in a PFEMA.
Sponsored

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I might be missing something...but why not just use Trail Control?
I'm trying to understand why someone would want to come out of Trail Control to go to Hill Descent...
Trail control will maintain a set speed over terrain, using the brakes to slow the vehicle if necessary. Hill Descent control works a little differently in the sense that it will brake each wheel individually to reduce wheel slip. The last thing you want is for one or more of your wheels to lock up if you’re descending a steep hill with loose surfaces.

Side note, us 7MT owners just have a button in the middle of the GOAT dial to go directly into Hill Descent.

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So...the quirky feature that the instructor showed us is the "Hill Decent Control" on auto-trans. The Ford manual only lists the option under MT but if you have a Sasquatch 10-speed auto you can access it as well. To get it to is a bit clunky.

Essentially to get to it via the center Bronco button on the GOAT model dial. So, here goes:
  1. Set your Bronco to either 4H or 4L
  2. Press the center Bronco button - you will now be on Trail 1-Pedal assist
  3. Press the Set + button on the left hand side of your steering wheel - you will now be in Trail Control
  4. Engage the Parking Brake on the lower left of the driver side - LOL!! you are now in Hill Decent Control (you can check this by the grey icon in your dash)
  5. Release the parking brake - you will still be in Hill Decent Control
Apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere in the forum but I could not find it nor could I find this in any YouTube videos or in the Ford Manual.

Hmmh, I'm glad you posted this. Back in October I discovered this while out on the trail. I did not know the button sequencing to turn it on, but going down a steep grade the IP chimed that Hill Decent Control was activated. I must of had 1 pedal assist on and then set the parking brake. For reference my truck is a auto, non-SAS Black Diamond.

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi All:
I posted this in the Off-Roadeo forum but not sure how many follow that so re-posting it here.

I participated in the Nevada off-Roadeo this past weekend and what an experience it was!! The staff was amazing, food was amazing, and the location was amazing!! Being new to off-roading I learned a lot about just off-roading in general, but of course learned about the various features of the Bronco. Really really highly recommend going to one if you have not.

So...the quirky feature that the instructor showed us is the "Hill Decent Control" on auto-trans. The Ford manual only lists the option under MT but if you have a Sasquatch 10-speed auto you can access it as well. To get it to is a bit clunky.

Essentially to get to it via the center Bronco button on the GOAT model dial. So, here goes:
  1. Set your Bronco to either 4H or 4L
  2. Press the center Bronco button - you will now be on Trail 1-Pedal assist
  3. Press the Set + button on the left hand side of your steering wheel - you will now be in Trail Control
  4. Engage the Parking Brake on the lower left of the driver side - LOL!! you are now in Hill Decent Control (you can check this by the grey icon in your dash)
  5. Release the parking brake - you will still be in Hill Decent Control
Apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere in the forum but I could not find it nor could I find this in any YouTube videos or in the Ford Manual.
On my 21 2.3MT descent control was limited to 20mph and under (brake-dependent- your brakes get eaten when sustained downhill *at high speed* to the poster who mentioned this)

Now I have 22 2.7AT SAS - is the descent control speed-limited (ie brake dependent) or is it 'engine braked' (transmission dependent)...?

I can test soon I suppose...

Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My 2013 wrangler had it.. hated it

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have adaptive cruise control, why don't I have adaptive trail control? @Ford Motor Company, can you explain this? Also, where are our trail maps?

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have yet to even try it, it seems entirely unnecessary.
I think I accidentally did this. I was wheeling and stopped I had the parking on. I forgot to disengage it and I started driving.. it just released, and turned off the park brake light..I thought my Bronco was doing me a favor… NOPE! I paused to go down a muddy sharp corner, had front passenger wheel off the ground. My buddy reached out to break off a thorn bush, I tried to inch on while he did that, the bronco jerked us back and forth with my wheel off the ground because it was automatically engaging and reengaging the park brake. My buddy thought I was messing around with him. It took a minute to figure out why it was doing that.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I accidentally did this. I was wheeling and stopped I had the parking on. I forgot to disengage it and I started driving.. it just released, and turned off the park brake light..I thought my Bronco was doing me a favor… NOPE! I paused to go down a muddy sharp corner, had front passenger wheel off the ground. My buddy reached out to break off a thorn bush, I tried to inch on while he did that, the bronco jerked us back and forth with my wheel off the ground because it was automatically engaging and reengaging the park brake. My buddy thought I was messing around with him. It took a minute to figure out why it was doing that.
Yeeeah, no thanks on that!

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeeeah, no thanks on that!
So lesson learned, be careful when you let your Bronco do something automatically. You might not expect the results. Trail cruise control felt dangerous to me. Go around a bend you are used to slowing down when you let off the brake… trail control will accelerate you around a bend, it was disconcerting when you have a muddy drop off. The one pedal drive was a little better and I thought it was helpful

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I work in quality and that seems like something that would be missed in a PFEMA.
Moderate likelihood (manual assembly), but very low consequences. A button being inadvertently installed for a nonexistant function would never hit my threshold for "requires mitigation" on my P-FMEA.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went to the NV Off-Roadeo as well and learned this. I have a 2.7L SAS OBX and have all 3 functions……trail control, one pedal drive, hill descent control.

mini4mw

Badlands
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think there were constraints on the rubber GOAT button so they just put on whatever they had ;)