First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but I have scoured the forum for an answer to what I think is a kinda simple question. I understand that MT Bronco will have "hill start control" or "hill start assist" which locks the brakes while the clutch is disengaged and the vehicle would normally roll backwards because of its attitude on a hill, or let us assume, any type of uneven terrain. I can forsee situations where I would both want and not want this feature when wheeling. Is there an EASY way to quickly turn it on and off? Or do I have to scroll through touchscreen menus and do a bunch of foolish things...in which case I will just lock it out permanently?
Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've wondered this as well.

There's a Park Brake discussion within the Wheel, Tire, Brake section and that's most likely where this thread might should be.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

On the Mustang it's extremely easy. From the gauge cluster screen you go to:

Main Menu > Driver assists > Hill Start Assist and check it on or off. Takes 5 seconds. at most.

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the Mustang it's extremely easy. From the gauge cluster screen you go to:

Main Menu > Driver assists > Hill Start Assist and check it on or off. Takes 5 seconds. at most.
Thats acceptable I suppose...a "hot button" would be nice, but I can make that work once I get used to it!

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've wondered this as well.

There's a Park Brake discussion within the Wheel, Tire, Brake section and that's most likely where this thread might should be.
Does the hill start assist use the parking brake or the service brake?

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No clue....

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
My '14 civic has this feature and if you put the gear shift into neutral it will roll backwards with the clutch pedal down.

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My '14 civic has this feature and if you put the gear shift into neutral it will roll backwards with the clutch pedal down.
That may be...but I'm thinking off road technique here. One of the cool things u can do to get up an obstacle off road is jog the clutch to hop the vehicle. I see jeep guys do it alot, and I've done it w/my yj...course its a little bouncy on leaf springs. If I'm doing that I'd want the brakes to stay off. If I'm crawling and suddenly have to stop it would be nice to have the brakes help me. Its not something I gotta have, but if I'm getting it anyway I might as well learn to use it and when not to!

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Does the hill start assist use the parking brake or the service brake?
on the mustang parking brake is still cable so uses ABS system up front. guessing it will be the same on the Bronco 7MT. Also there is the new trail control feature, but that is an A10 only addition.

myrlin16

Outer Banks
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Audi TT, BWM 228i
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've driven several Ford vehicles with Hill Assist and have it on my current F-150. The hill assist doesn't engage until you press the brake pedal and come to a full stop on a hill. Once you release the brake pedal the hill assist keeps the brakes engaged until you've applied enough acceleration to start moving forward. Once you have the vehicle moving, if you lay off the gas, it will roll back down hill.

So in essence, you can have it both ways. As long as you never apply your brakes on the hill, the hill assist won't engage. If it is already engaged, you can turn it off by applying a little gas.

Not sure if this is how the Bronco will work, but seems like a reasonable assumption that it does.

Last edited:

Sponsored

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
That may be...but I'm thinking off road technique here. One of the cool things u can do to get up an obstacle off road is jog the clutch to hop the vehicle. I see jeep guys do it alot, and I've done it w/my yj...course its a little bouncy on leaf springs. If I'm doing that I'd want the brakes to stay off. If I'm crawling and suddenly have to stop it would be nice to have the brakes help me. Its not something I gotta have, but if I'm getting it anyway I might as well learn to use it and when not to!

I see your point here. Not sure what would be best. As said above I'd imagine it wouldn't take long to navigate through the settings menu to turn it off. A hot button like traction control would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath. (hoping for a couple extra buttons that can be user programmed for stuff like this would be sweet!)

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've driven several Ford vehicles with Hill Assist and have it on my current F-150. The hill assist doesn't engage until you press the brake pedal and come to a full stop on a hill. Once you release the brake pedal the hill assist keeps the brakes engaged until you've applied enough acceleration to start moving forward. Once you have the vehicle moving, if you lay off the gas, it will roll back down hill.

So in essence, you can have it both ways. As long as you never apply your brakes on the hill, the hill assist won't engage. If it is already engaged, you can turn it off by applying a little gas.

Not sure if this is how the Bronco will work, but seems like a reasonable assumption that it does.
Also the hill assist has a timer on it - if you take your foot off the brake it's only a matter of seconds before the brakes disengage. So you can have it both ways without going into the cluster, as long as your patient.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope that FoMoCo will still provide a Manual Hand Brake Lever with the Manual Transmission.

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought they went to electric ebrake? Or did I miss something?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought they went to electric ebrake? Or did I miss something?
We don't "officially" know.

If it's only electric ebrake, that would be another strike against the Bronco for me, as I want something that I can manipulate in real time as needed while maneuvering around obstacles.
Sponsored